Thread: Trying to figure out how to tweak things for my particular health concerns page

spiralgal is offline Junior Member

Trying to figure out how to tweak things for my particular health concerns

Primal Fuel
    Hi,
    I am new to this forum and am trying to figure out how to make this diet work for me. I have been a sort of paleo person for a while without trying. I have been gluten and dairy free for 8 years (due to autoimmune disease) and eat a ton of organic fruits and veggies, raw almonds, olive oil etc. The issue is that I eat some carbs in the form of whole grain gluten free bread and sometimes quinoa during the day or I am hungry and I lose weight. I am willing to give these up. I gave up eating beans except for lentils. I also eat some soy and I know that soy is a bean too.

I don't need to lose weight as I am really thin already. I am allergic to eggs and don't really love meat or extremely high fat foods. I eat free range or grass fed meats a couple times a week and salmon a couple of times per week. Any ideas? Could I make this work for me? Suggestions on how to get enough calories without eating a ton of meat or coconut oil? Also, I have high cholesterol and have had a heart attack and I am a thin female! I have been told I am a hyper-responder and to stay away from saturated fat. I know that the jury is out with this and that saturated fat has been exonerated...just wondering if anyone out there is like me...high cholesterol genetically. Lastly, I already take a boat load of antioxidants, so I am covered that way. Thanks for any input!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Hi spiralgal, welcome to the forum and I hope you find some encouragement and new ways to improve your health.

I understand the need to add some extra calories to avoid losing weight and would like to encourage you to try including some fattier foods rather than from your gluten free bread etc.

If you start including natural butter on your cooked veges, for example, not only will you be adding energy but also more nutritional value to your meal which will help build your strength and health.

Meat tastes so good and is so much easier to eat when it has been cooked long and slowly till tender. It is possible for your tastes to change to enjoy fattier kinds of meat, even though it may feel strange at first. I think it's because we have been taught for so long to avoid fat, which is a shame as it has so much going for it.

Cream is delicious and can be spooned on top of stewed fruit, blended into berry smoothies, stirred into curries, or reduced to make a cheese sauce for adding to vegetables. You can also use coconut cream in these ways.

There are lots of things you can do.

Oops just read the dairy-free bit in your post. Well instead of butter you can roast your veges in dripping, it's easy to collect your own if you bake fatty meat like lamb chops or chicken thighs.

spiralgal is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for your ideas! Maybe I should eat more curry like you mentioned above as that is very filling and caloric. Also, the coconut cream is a good idea for me. I really want to give up the carbs and soy, although I think it might be alright to eat some carbs now and then.

Thanks again!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spiralgal View Post
    Thanks for your ideas! Maybe I should eat more curry like you mentioned above as that is very filling and caloric. Also, the coconut cream is a good idea for me. I really want to give up the carbs and soy, although I think it might be alright to eat some carbs now and then.

Thanks again!
    Oh yes, you can indeed eat carbs, just not wheat or other grains. Starchy veges such as kumara (yam? sweet potato?) are a good carrier for all the good fats that you will need to be adding. You can also eat fruit.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hiya Spiral!

Looking at your diet, I would start substituting squash, root vegetables, and even potatoes in for your grains. I posted a decent pumpkin pancake (completely paleo) recipe on here, too, which has been great as a "bread replacement" for DS. He wanted "sandwiches" in his lunchbox, and so we started making them out of these pancakes and he loves them. They are delicious (and we make them sweet and savory). So that could be a good alternative if you want something "bread-y."

Good luck!