Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: How do you feel when you're in ketosis? page 5

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I do hard physical activity once or twice per day, and even more if counting in "bed gymnastic". Being in Ketosis is very bad for anaerobic activities, so I try to stay out of it as much as I can...

Kymma is offline Senior Member
    I am sure I am pretty sure I am in ketosis. It is new, it is metallic and my mouth feels like it is too big for my teeth. My skin is looking pretty good from lack of sugar.

I am still in carb flu, I went VLC as part of the Diabetes Solution to correct insulin resistance. I've lost 5 pounds in that time, most of it probably being water since my face has leaned out and I don't have a huge bloated belly.

I am not interested in food at all. I eat at the assigned times because I feel I should. I don't really feel tempted.

I am holding the course and waiting for the increase in energy. I really want to get back to brisk walks for 30-45 mins every day and also begin doing the PB Fitness side. I really want to do the whole kit and kaboodle so I can be my best self. I have been fat and beginning to get sick for the last 2 years and I am done with it. I have never been more in the zone to change my life then I am now.

The fatigue stopped me in my tracks with exercise, because I had some fatigue issues earlier in the year and learned that pushing through just extends the issue. I am hopeful that over the next week or so I will feel the switch to more energy.

I'll come back and discuss how I feel once the switch is complete. I may need advice on how to make sure weight loss doesn't stall, since taking off weight is key to reigniting your insulin sensitivity.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    2ndChance, to be honest, I agree that it is not important to know exactly if you are in ketosis or not, as long as you feel good. I am pretty sure the OP got the answer s/he was looking for: some people experience the steady energy and enlightenment when they believe they reach ketois & low hunger level. Others either don't get there, or just happen to feel sick.

The amount of exercise that is appropriate is beyond the topic. I don't think 2x LHT is going to be enough to increase muscular mass. About the only authority I know about who supports it is that odd-ball BBS book who want you to work to failure 1x a week. Everyone else, including PB Fitness is 3 or 4x a week for LHT. And I did not have much success with BW exercise only, though I do a fair bit of it. I actually like doing it, it's a perfectly selfish 'me' time, so giving in my gym card will not be some liberating experience, more like enslaving experience.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Leida, I think PB didn't mean you should alter your physical activities to support a lower carb way of eating, but that you should perhaps look into altering your physical activities because the level you are doing them at may be interfering with your body composition goals.
    Yes, and overall health. Lifting a higher amount of weight =/=being healthier.

And the PBF says 2-3 x/wk LHT not 3-4.

If you love the gym as "me time" cool. Having done the BB thing however, for me it was liberating to exercise out in nature instead of in a sweaty crowded place. But how you exercise is a "to each his/her own" thing. The amount you exercise is important and more is not always better.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 11-16-2012 at 01:17 PM.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I go into ketosis <120 carbs a day. It makes me feel very calm and invincible.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    I go into ketosis <120 carbs a day. It makes me feel very calm and invincible.
    120? Maybe I need some damn ketostix. Not that I really care if I am in or if I am out, but I did not start to feel human again until I bumped it up to over 50. I have a few days of 150 & occasionally more, but most of the time I am somewhere in the middle, hoovering around 100. I thinking increasing my protein helped me with that human thing. I don't think I was too low, but I did increase it slightly.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    120? Maybe I need some damn ketostix. Not that I really care if I am in or if I am out, but I did not start to feel human again until I bumped it up to over 50. I have a few days of 150 & occasionally more, but most of the time I am somewhere in the middle, hoovering around 100. I thinking increasing my protein helped me with that human thing. I don't think I was too low, but I did increase it slightly.
    Everyone has a different level at which they enter ketosis and a different length of time before they get over the carb flu and start feeling awesome. And if you "slip up" you start over. I really think a lot of people who think they don't like ketosis, may never really have given it long enough consistently applied enough to get the benefits.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I really think a lot of people who think they don't like ketosis, may never really have given it long enough consistently applied enough to get the benefits.
    That could very well be. Let's just say that I do not do well on VLC/VHF. I dont think carb flu is my issue. I cut the carbs back in January. Well I started cutting the fall before actually, so by the time I arrived here in March, low carbing was a cinch. I just don't think I functioned as well, but definitely weight loss stopped when I made a conscious effort to be VLC and VHF. At 80 & 85%, I actually started to gain even though in a calorie deficit. 70-80% it crawls. So ketosis might not have been my trouble but definitely the high fat along with very low carb seemed to be. Adding in starches and an apple a day made all the difference for me. For now I just might need to practice regular carb cycling. For now I am more calorie cycling, which naturally makes some high & low carb days.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    That could very well be. Let's just say that I do not do well on VLC/VHF. I dont think carb flu is my issue. I cut the carbs back in January. Well I started cutting the fall before actually, so by the time I arrived here in March, low carbing was a cinch. I just don't think I functioned as well, but definitely weight loss stopped when I made a conscious effort to be VLC and VHF. At 80 & 85%, I actually started to gain even though in a calorie deficit. 70-80% it crawls. So ketosis might not have been my trouble but definitely the high fat along with very low carb seemed to be. Adding in starches and an apple a day made all the difference for me. For now I just might need to practice regular carb cycling. For now I am more calorie cycling, which naturally makes some high & low carb days.
    The macro percentages are not magic in and of themselves. There still needs to be a caloric deficit in order for weight loss to happen (as I found out and expressed in my two *really* lengthy calorie counting threads.) The two have to come together. The LC macros just make it easier to live on less calories while not feeling white knuckle hunger. You still have to control your intake. I gained weight initially on low carb too. I figured out there was a totally simple explanation. I was eating too much food.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    The macro percentages are not magic in and of themselves. There still needs to be a caloric deficit in order for weight loss to happen (as I found out and expressed in my two *really* lengthy calorie counting threads.) The two have to come together. The LC macros just make it easier to live on less calories while not feeling white knuckle hunger. You still have to control your intake. I gained weight initially on low carb too. I figured out there was a totally simple explanation. I was eating too much food.
    +1000

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast