Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you feel when you're in ketosis? page 3

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I honestly don't know why high fat low carb diet never gets me out of the tired state. It's very frustrating. I might try it again, after I take Magnesium and Potassium for another 2 weeks or so. Maybe that's the reason.
    What I have discovered is that there is very little research into people who have dysfunction in metabolic pathways associated with fat. Some speculate that those that do not do well on low carb could have some issue in this regard.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I seem to maintain the same overall positive effects in the 50-100g/day range except with a bit more hunger
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I honestly don't know why high fat low carb diet never gets me out of the tired state. It's very frustrating.
    All of these, probably have given me my answers as to why it was not working for me.

It seems reasonable that we would have had extended periods without food, either because there was none available, or we were busy doing something else. Then we would follow that period with a filling meal of gathered plant and animal products, preferentially selecting the fat. During the day we might have eaten a piece of fruit, or greens, or a grub we dug up, but anything filling or high in calories (such as a starchy tuber) would have to be killed, butchered, and/or carefully prepared before eating.
    I think my body is best adapted to the "periods of" and not the "extended" version that I was on for months and months. I never had the higher calorie days or days of add'l carbs, and think I have poorer overall results in every department when I extend it too far, and never try to shake it up now and then.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    Ketosis for me is work to get there, and easy to fall out of it.

However, when in ketosis it is great! Sleep is deep and restful. I have energy throughout the day. My moods are elevated, and I am much more patient with my children. I need to maintain ketosis for about 5 days before food cravings decrease though, so for me I need a good chunk of time to get to steady state.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    You become less and less capable of doing anything other than what you absolutely must, the body's way of conserving energy, if you ask me. In ketosis, I could talk forever about my love for primal eating, but if someone tried to engage me in polite smalltalk, I would not be able to work up the energy. I like that, though.
    I don't. I hate not having the energy to play checkers with my kid (let alone take her to the pool an extra time) or make love, or not take any interest in cooking. I hate doing everything without a smile on my face or having to slog through work and have times when I 'space out' and have fear that someone will notice and I will get into trouble. I hate being too tired to go for a walk or seeing myself in capable of lifting the weights that are below what I have been doing just 2 weeks ago.

What I have discovered is that there is very little research into people who have dysfunction in metabolic pathways associated with fat. Some speculate that those that do not do well on low carb could have some issue in this regard.
    I dunno, I know that I naturally prefer low fat foods normally, greasy things make me sick (I can't eat the fast food or American -Italian version of food) and I don't get full on fat.
    Last edited by Leida; 11-16-2012 at 08:12 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Now that I've completely stopped my chronic cardio workouts, I'm naturally gravitating toward eating less and less carbs. I think I'll give keto a try again. I always remember being very calm and patient in ketosis. Like, feeling really centered.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    There's a big difference between the 'grease' of a McDonald's french fry and the 'greasy' eggs fried in coconut oil I eat almost every morning. Big. Did I mention BIG? I think GMO seed oils make everyone sick.

I dunno, for me I'm not like, "wah I can't run for a long time anymore," I'm like "yay I don't have to center my days around getting workouts in!" I am a former cardio addict in the form of the elliptical; I'd use it every day, sometimes for 2 hours at a time. In that time I developed huge quads and serious hip and knee alignment issues that have permanently sidelined me from things I used to enjoy without pain--walking or running on hard surfaces is impossible for me now, and when I exercise I do low-impact stuff, light lifting, yoga, squats... I work out much less frequently these days, I don't believe CW about unnaturally expending tons of energy being good for you, I want to have a slow metabolism, not to have my body desperately burning through everything I eat to refuel after being abused on a treadmill...

It sounds like you could afford to eat more carbs if you feel, say, too tired to cook (or make love, which seems to be all I ever want to do now that I'm primal--makes sense!). My ketosis experience is much different-- I only fast when I have to (it's what Grok would've done, none of this fasting when quality food is around, forcing yourself to ignore hunger signals), like when I'm at school. I can stay sharp on ketones for hours, but when I'm home, I eat whatever I want, and however much I want. I have lived in fear of weight gain in the past, I will never again value appearance over happiness. It doesn't sound like your diet is making you happy, and to be happy is the only reason to eat anything.
    Last edited by 2ndChance; 11-16-2012 at 08:34 AM.

There's a big difference between the 'grease' of a McDonald's french fry and the 'greasy' eggs fried in coconut oil I eat almost every morning. Big. Did I mention BIG? I think GMO seed oils make everyone sick.
    I am not talking McDonalds. I ate in a fast food joint a few times after coming to Canada and gave it up right away, because it made me so sick. If there is separate oil or butter or tallow in the food, i.e. greasy, I feel sick. Gods, I remember forcing myself to eat coconut oil from the spoon, the worst days of my life. Such a waste of calories on something so gross. The only time I actually ate in the fast food joints was when I was pregnant and wanted french fries & nothing else. Never wanted it since.
    Last edited by Leida; 11-16-2012 at 08:37 AM.

You won't catch me eating coconut oil by the spoon, but using it to fry eggs or a sweet potato? Yes. Oh my God yes.

99% of restaurant food is shit. RBGH butter, pesticide-ridden vegetables, meat from cows with no space to move between one another being injected with antibiotics daily, eating gummy worms... It's bleak. Obviously some restaurants strive for quality--very few compared to the number of Applebee's, Olive Gardens, etc.

Conventional potatoes are gross. They grow in pesticide-ridden soil, what's at all appetizing about that? (I am a huge food purist, though, I have no trouble following my eating plan, despite being stricter than most people, and I don't mind passing up invitations to restaurants to socialize--what's there to talk about besides how we're wasting our grassfed beef budget to mindlessly shovel death into our mouths?)
    Last edited by 2ndChance; 11-16-2012 at 08:50 AM.

I do prefer my veggies steamed, in a salad or in a soup to be honest, but I would roast or fry veggies with a bit of fat, just so it is not greasy. I am afraid to fry potato or sweet potato in fat because of the deadly starch-fat combination. I would make it for my folks, but I would not eat it myself.

The one problem I find with ketosis is that it gave me a fear of vegetables - I keep eating breakfast and lunch meals without vegetables at all, so I can have some for supper. I also find that fat because of the high caloric content tends to 'push' absolutely everything else to the curb, so the portions of food become so small, it is pitiful. Feels like CW all over again.

Anyway, I think I would stick to classic Paleo rather than ketosis. And I interpret ketosis as <30 g total carbs, with 70+% fat.

I don't count macros, I probably eat >50g carbs daily, but I still enter ketosis once in awhile.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast