Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really super stupid pushup question page

sbhikes is online now Senior Member

Really super stupid pushup question

Primal Fuel
    Okay, please understand that I have never in my life done pushups until about a week ago. I could only do knee pushups. I am up to doing 7 regular pushups.

I am also doing squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, planks and other things for the first time in my life. I am growing muscles where I never had any before.

I was doing pushups today and it was like my body wanted to use other muscles in my torso to do the pushups. Is that cheating or is that how pushups actually work?

Also, my butt wanted to help out by raising up. I think that one really is cheating, right?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    don't raise your butt. keep as flat as possible. there are other smaller muscles being recruited in the process, but for the most part your using shoulders,triceps, and pecs.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Okay, please understand that I have never in my life done pushups until about a week ago. I could only do knee pushups. I am up to doing 7 regular pushups.
    Yay!
    I am also doing squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, planks and other things for the first time in my life. I am growing muscles where I never had any before.

I was doing pushups today and it was like my body wanted to use other muscles in my torso to do the pushups. Is that cheating or is that how pushups actually work?
    I feel this too, mainly in my rubs under my arms. I think it's normal.

Also, my butt wanted to help out by raising up. I think that one really is cheating, right?
    Heh, yeah you want to have a straight body, with your bum neither leading nor lagging on the movement.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Wow, SB I am impressed that you are already up to 7, great job!

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    Wow, 7 pushups is impressive for someone who just started doing them! I can only do about that even though I have been training for a while. My trainer makes me do them so that my boobs/nose touches the ground, so it's bloody difficult.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Maybe I need to go lower? My belly touches first. I have very long arms.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    keep your back straight. unless you have a gut (and you don't) your chest should touch first

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    If you're having any trouble keeping them "regulation", try incline (NOT "decline", btw!) push-ups for a while and then gradually grow lower. It's what I'm doing (my chest strength is rubbish) and I'm getting close to floor-level now.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Okay, please understand that I have never in my life done pushups until about a week ago.
    The idea is to keep belly and bum tucked in so you are straight going up and down. I started off (as in Mark's video) going against a wall and then lower down against the bath. I tried full pushups but found I was cheating with arse in the air so have gone back to leaning on the bath until I can do 50. Then, I'll try the floor again and see how I get on.

Progress is continued improvement and where I end up, not how fast I get there.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Back straight Paval in The Naked Warrior suggests tensing your body especially your glutes at the same time. He has a suggestion for contracting the arms for more strength and to recruit more muscles but it sounds like you might be doing it.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast