Thread: Flank Steak Questions page

JoanieL is offline Senior Member

Flank Steak Questions

Primal Fuel
    I found a good price for grass fed flank steak but I have to buy a lot of it to get the price.

Does it work well in a lot of recipes? Do you use it often? Anything I should know about it (too lean, too fatty, etc.)?

Thanx in advance for any tips and info!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    We think it's awesome at our house. We always slow-cook it, and with different marinades it's a completely different meal each time.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I like it... but not so much as skirt.
    Its lean, but in a good beefy way.

I NEVER slow cook it. I prefer it marinated then grilled fast and hot to the rare side. Anything in the medium to rare range would be fine IMO. As it's a lean cut I wouldn't ever want it cooked any more than that. And I don't consider it "roast" (as in long braise) worthy because of it's lack of connective tissue. Other lean roasts that I do, such as large round roasts, I also cook med-rare.

Be sure to slice it across the grain... the fibers are long and thick/stringy on this cut. If you don't cut across the grain you find it awful to chew. But it's great if sliced properly just like skirt.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Cool! You both told me just what I need to know. Thank you.