Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First IF...HUNGRY. page

AmyP is offline Member

First IF...HUNGRY.

Primal Fuel
    I was going for my first intermittent fast today...trying to make it until dinner. I am HUNGRY. I see a lot of "it's easy!!" so wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Do I white knuckle through or eat? I've been 90/10 primal for quite a while. Keep carbs below 85 and weight is stable..which is the reason for an IF, I need to lose about 30lbs and I have been the same for a looong time.

Thanks for the advice!

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Define 'hungry' ~ an overwhelming urge to eat or is it more like stomach cramping? How low carb have you been in the last 3 days? Yes, it makes a difference. And maybe you're just not ready yet~ It is easy when you're fat adapted and don't have 'true' hunger signals, it's miserable if you're not there yet~

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Yes, it's pretty normal to be hungry the first time, since your body 'expects' to be fed. It was a realisation to me when I went into IF, that I had never really known what hunger was before.

If you are consistently hungry each time you do it, you probably aren't eating enough the night before.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Yes, it's pretty normal to be hungry the first time, since your body 'expects' to be fed. It was a realisation to me when I went into IF, that I had never really known what hunger was before.

If you are consistently hungry each time you do it, you probably aren't eating enough the night before.
    I agree with MM. Add some more fat and protein to the night befores meal. These seem to keep me satiated for longer the following day. And yes that hunger pang is a totally different feeling to what I thought was hunger - in the past. Its not that light headed thing - I want a quick fix now.... its more of a deep inner gut feeling, hard to explain.
    Keep at it
    G
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyP View Post
    I was going for my first intermittent fast today...trying to make it until dinner. I am HUNGRY. I see a lot of "it's easy!!" so wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Do I white knuckle through or eat? I've been 90/10 primal for quite a while. Keep carbs below 85 and weight is stable..which is the reason for an IF, I need to lose about 30lbs and I have been the same for a looong time.

Thanks for the advice!
    You want to make it to dinner? Does that mean your IF is nearly 24 hours? Of course you are hungry.

I say eat when you are hungry. Don't wait until you are consumed with hunger. Are you drinking enough fluids?

What is your activity level? Bump up the fat to keep yourself satiated and you might eat less in the long run. Add or increase weight bearing exercise or start moving if you are sedentary. I'm sure you've probably answered some of what I've asked below but I was too lazy to read the replies before i posted. My apologies.

~Pam

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    yep I get peckish and sometimes pretty darn hungry, sometimes I have a glass of water and a lie down for 10 mins, sometimes I go for a walk, most times I just try to keep busy, it passes, and it gets easier each time you do it.

Also drink plenty of water, you get lots of water from food, especially if you eat lots of veg, you need to replace this or your'll dehydrate and feel crap.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

AmyP is offline Member
    Pretty sure this is HUNGRY. But the worst seems to have passed. Around my normal lunch time was pretty bad. I have been drinking a lot of water (usually do..) and had coffee this morning. I may not die. This will be about a twenty hour fast.

I do workout regularly. Interval training twice a week and strength training once or twice a week. I also typically play a sport but out for injury at the moment. I keep the carbs below 85 per day and calories below 1700. Have maintained at least a thirty pound overweight for more than a year. Lost two pounds on a 99% perfect Whole30.

I figure I am the perfect evolutionary woman..tall, strong, smart, and store fat extremely easily to keep it no matter what!

Thanks for your help. I may not die or eat my own face.

Paleobird Guest
    I think we collectively need to get over and past the idea that hunger is a pathological state.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    AmyP, maybe you could ease into it. IOW, if you're trying to go from dinner to dinner, that's almost 24 hours. If you start at 16 hours (or even 14 hours), when you get used to that, you could go to 17 or 18 hours and so on.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Check out Mark's previous articles on IF'ing and women. Not all women are suited for it.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast