Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 52

Thread: Best Dark Chocolate

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2

    Best Dark Chocolate

    I read the "Is It Primal" post which contains information about soy lecithin. In short: it isn't primal, but in small amounts "isn't too bad" for you. After reading that I went looking for dark chocolate that doesn't contain any soy lecithin. There are options, however, everything I've found is ridiculously expensive.

    Has anyone found inexpensive, yet still good quality, dark chocolate which doesn't contain soy lecithin?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,791
    The other day I found Lindt Excellence 85% extra dark for $2 a bar at TJMaxx. It contains no soy lecithin.

    With that said, my favorite is Green and Black's 85%, but I can't find that one below $3 a bar. When it comes to treats like that, I only buy them once in a while, because my grocery bill adds up very fast.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    The other day I found Lindt Excellence 85% extra dark for $2 a bar at TJMaxx. It contains no soy lecithin.

    With that said, my favorite is Green and Black's 85%, but I can't find that one below $3 a bar. When it comes to treats like that, I only buy them once in a while, because my grocery bill adds up very fast.
    +1 My fav is Lindt Excellence 85%. If you live near Fred Meyer you can usually get it on sale 2 for $4

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,325
    I buy the Lindt Excellence 90% for $2/bar regularly, but last week I found a bar of 99% at World Market that had nothing bad in it, and it was delicious. Not bitter at all; tasted even sweeter than the Lindt. I don't remember what brand or the price, but I'm going back to buy some more today or tomorrow.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Morpeth, UK
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I buy the Lindt Excellence 90% for $2/bar regularly, but last week I found a bar of 99% at World Market that had nothing bad in it, and it was delicious. Not bitter at all; tasted even sweeter than the Lindt. I don't remember what brand or the price, but I'm going back to buy some more today or tomorrow.
    Could have been Lindt Excellence 99% .... picked some up in France last month - YUM!!!!
    I don't ask that you like me - all I ask is that you respect my life experiences and i will do the same.

  6. #6
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Anything in two digits is weaksauce. Try the Ghiradelli 100% dark chocolate.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    US
    Posts
    4,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Anything in two digits is weaksauce. Try the Ghiradelli 100% dark chocolate.
    All riiiight Someone on board with me with that bar It is quite fruity - I love it!

    Usually if I want a cheap bar, I buy one of those for $3 at Whole Foods (4 oz!) or a standard Lindt bar for $2.50. I am also a fan of Green and Black's (I think the 85% doesn't have soy lecithin) for $3 because their chocolates are extremely rich, making your $$ stretch out more.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,325
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Anything in two digits is weaksauce. Try the Ghiradelli 100% dark chocolate.
    If I ever see one, I'll grab it. Haven't found one yet.

  9. #9
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    If I ever see one, I'll grab it. Haven't found one yet.
    100% Cacao Unsweetened Chocolate Baking Bar

    Enjoy.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,325
    Epiphany: I bet it's in the baking aisle, not the chocolate aisle. I'll check there. Seriously, though, I wonder if it can be any tastier than the 99% World Market bar. Sounds like a side-by-side taste test is in order! Will update.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •