Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Best Dark Chocolate page 5

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelle View Post
    bleh, I can't do higher than 75%. My go-to chocolate is Theo Chocolate which, lucky me, the factory is right down the street!
    Wow, omg, I am so jealous! They have such a beautiful display of samples! I totally just ate my lunch when I was there haha!

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarek View Post
    Raw cacao is the worst. I LOVE the taste, but if I eat beyond a small amount, I feel nauseous and dizzy. The darker it is, the worse this effect is. This doesn't seem to happen if I stick to modest amounts of non-raw dark chocolate, however.

Some of the best chocolates I've had:

Amano (https://www.amanochocolate.com/dark-chocolate)
    Taza (Stone Ground Bars | taza chocolate store)
    Madécasse (Madécasse Chocolate | Madagascar Chocolate)
    Vosges (Vosges Gourmet Chocolate Exotic Candy Bars, Mix 'n' Match, Mo's Dark and Milk Bacon, Barcelona, Naga, Amalfi, Red Fire)

Out of all of these, the Taza 87% dark Bolivian chocolate is probably my favorite. Because it's stone ground, there's a grit to it, and it's got a very unique, fruity flavor. It's pretty expensive ($10 a bar at Whole Foods), but it's worth it.
    I tried some Taza recently and also thought it was delicious. I wondered if the texture was from sugar as that was the second ingredient listed on the ones I tried. Those little round ones... Yummy!
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by excursivey View Post
    I tried some Taza recently and also thought it was delicious. I wondered if the texture was from sugar as that was the second ingredient listed on the ones I tried. Those little round ones... Yummy!
    I think it's because the cacao is ground and not tempered, so it retains a grainy texture.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelle View Post
    bleh, I can't do higher than 75%. My go-to chocolate is Theo Chocolate which, lucky me, the factory is right down the street!

Theo is the best dark chocolate I've ever tried in my life. I usually have a very poor palate and can't differentiate between different quality levels in many things, but the moment I tried this I instantly noticed a difference. The ingredients are high quality (no soy lecithin) and it's fair trade and organic and whatnot.

On another chocolate note, why is Green&Blacks so often touted here? Every time I check the labels of their dark chocolate, there are always weird ass ingredients like milk and soy and other things I can't remember off the top of my head. Why do so many folks recommend this brand?

Primal_alien is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JennGlob View Post
    World Market has a 99 percent, it is pretty good.
    But BRO, does it have SOY? Soy is bitch tits city Bro!

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Theo is the best dark chocolate I've ever tried in my life. I usually have a very poor palate and can't differentiate between different quality levels in many things, but the moment I tried this I instantly noticed a difference. The ingredients are high quality (no soy lecithin) and it's fair trade and organic and whatnot.

On another chocolate note, why is Green&Blacks so often touted here? Every time I check the labels of their dark chocolate, there are always weird ass ingredients like milk and soy and other things I can't remember off the top of my head. Why do so many folks recommend this brand?
    Could that be some formulation they are selling in Italy? The version sold here in NC doesn't have that. Also, I get the 85%... Ive never read the label on the 72%.

I'm surprised at the perception I read earlier that $3.00 a bar is expensive. I get four servings out of a bar (it says 2.5, I mean four satisfying servings), so as a contributor to a meal when I mainly eat meat, it's one of the cheaper things I eat.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Seaglassgreen is offline Senior Member
    My Green & Black's 85%, Organic/Fair trade, (bought at Walmart for ~$3) has organic chocolate, organic cocoa butter, organic cocoa, organic raw cane sugar, organic vanilla extract. It's my favorite dark chocolate.

Goal: Feel good, be active!

CaliforniaGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal123 View Post
    I am partial to raw organic cacao powder, but the raw organic cacao nibs take some getting used to. I recently read that green and black is owned by Cadbury, Dagoba is owned by Hershey. Edited to include the company info. I found. Looks like Lindt may be it's own company but it does not say on it's website as far as I can see.

So disappointing. When I buy chocolate bars I generally stick to equal exchange brand as they source their chocolate from places that do not use child slave labor. Kind of made other chocolate lose it's appeal learning that cacao beans are often harvested using child slaves and heavily sprayed with pesticides.
    Lindt, Lindt, Lindt. It is the best and I just got a ton of it at Grocery Outlet for $2/bar.

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    70% or lower usually contains soy lechithin, including Green & Blacks. My hubby will pick up 85% for me, which doesn't have the soy. There is a 70% that I can get at the 99 Cents store, it's French, and doesn't contain soy and costs .99 (shocking, I know).

A favorite sweet of mine is Heavenly Organics peppermint patties, just dark chocolate, white honey, and peppermint oil.

My all time fav chocolate bar is Theos, which is delicious, smooth, and comes with almonds or coconut (along with a plethora of other add ins).

PrimalMama is online now Senior Member
    Yes, TAZA is awesome... I plan to visit the factory next time I'm in Boston!
    Whole Foods here has the 80% &87% for 8.99, but other places have it for 5.99... I find it well worth the price (I eat a few squares at a time, a bar will last me awhile), and I love the grainy texture.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast