Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Dark Chocolate page 3

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I second the Valrhona, love that stuff. I also have a preference for chocolate around 70% and love the Lindt. What I don't like about the higher percentage chocolate is the texture. I love the creaminess of around 70%

sezzajezza84 is offline Junior Member
    Loving Earth make raw chocolate but, though I do like the flavours, it isn't creamy. There's another Aussie one, it used to be called Conscious chocolate but is now called something else. Pana or something? It's really expensive - depending on where you buy it, a 45 gram bar is anything between $6.50 - $8.00. But it's so good and the texture is much much better than Loving Earth. It isn't a very high cacao percentage though, I think most of them are around 60% so maybe that's why.

where can you buy valrhona?

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Is there a brand of baking chips that's higher than 60% cacao? I've only been able to locate the ghiradelli dark baking chips and can't find anything higher.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    If I ever see one, I'll grab it. Haven't found one yet.
    World Market has a 99 percent, it is pretty good.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    I managed to find Green & Blacks (70% and higher) at our Walmart. I think they were just testing the waters, because they ended up putting them on sale at 2 for $4, and once they were gone (I bought A LOT of them), they didn't order anymore. I default to Lindt 85% too.

I do keep checking the dark chocolate at Trader Joe's, but most have the soy lechtin (sp?) in them.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Raw cacao is the worst. I LOVE the taste, but if I eat beyond a small amount, I feel nauseous and dizzy. The darker it is, the worse this effect is. This doesn't seem to happen if I stick to modest amounts of non-raw dark chocolate, however.

Some of the best chocolates I've had:

Amano (https://www.amanochocolate.com/dark-chocolate)
    Taza (Stone Ground Bars | taza chocolate store)
    Madécasse (Madécasse Chocolate | Madagascar Chocolate)
    Vosges (Vosges Gourmet Chocolate Exotic Candy Bars, Mix 'n' Match, Mo's Dark and Milk Bacon, Barcelona, Naga, Amalfi, Red Fire)

Out of all of these, the Taza 87% dark Bolivian chocolate is probably my favorite. Because it's stone ground, there's a grit to it, and it's got a very unique, fruity flavor. It's pretty expensive ($10 a bar at Whole Foods), but it's worth it.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarek View Post
    Out of all of these, the Taza 87% dark Bolivian chocolate is probably my favorite. Because it's stone ground, there's a grit to it, and it's got a very unique, fruity flavor. It's pretty expensive ($10 a bar at Whole Foods), but it's worth it.
    Do you know if the TJ's Mexican ground chocolate bars are similar to Taza's? I tried one of TJ's the other day, and really liked it, but the price is so steep!

theillien is offline Junior Member
    Thanks everyone. I wasn't aware that the higher percentages remove soy lecithin. I looked at the lower percentages (usu. 70% to 75%) and it always shows up.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    The other day I found Lindt Excellence 85% extra dark for $2 a bar at TJMaxx. It contains no soy lecithin.

With that said, my favorite is Green and Black's 85%, but I can't find that one below $3 a bar. When it comes to treats like that, I only buy them once in a while, because my grocery bill adds up very fast.
    +1 My fav is Lindt Excellence 85%. If you live near Fred Meyer you can usually get it on sale 2 for $4

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sezzajezza84 View Post
    Loving Earth make raw chocolate but, though I do like the flavours, it isn't creamy. There's another Aussie one, it used to be called Conscious chocolate but is now called something else. Pana or something? It's really expensive - depending on where you buy it, a 45 gram bar is anything between $6.50 - $8.00. But it's so good and the texture is much much better than Loving Earth. It isn't a very high cacao percentage though, I think most of them are around 60% so maybe that's why.

where can you buy valrhona?
    Yeah, the Loving Earth stuff has okay flavours but terrible texture.

You can get Valrhona at Simon Johnson, and perhaps also at some upmarket department stores and delis.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast