Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Dark Chocolate page 2

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    I am partial to raw organic cacao powder, but the raw organic cacao nibs take some getting used to. I recently read that green and black is owned by Cadbury, Dagoba is owned by Hershey. Edited to include the company info. I found. Looks like Lindt may be it's own company but it does not say on it's website as far as I can see.

So disappointing. When I buy chocolate bars I generally stick to equal exchange brand as they source their chocolate from places that do not use child slave labor. Kind of made other chocolate lose it's appeal learning that cacao beans are often harvested using child slaves and heavily sprayed with pesticides.
    Last edited by Primal123; 11-18-2012 at 06:12 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    It tastes like ash.
    I used to think so too but my taste buds have changed. The 88% Panther bar I used to love now tastes sickly sweet.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    70% is the perfect chocolate.

Chocolove 70% is my favorite. Also the almonds and sea salt one.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Hit World Market today and grabbed a 90% Lindt bar and the World Market brand 99% bar (actually, I bought a few of these to stockpile). Each bar was $2.00. I did a side-by-side comparison taste test in the parking lot. You know, for the sake of science.

Conclusions:
    -World Market 99% bar has great stats--the whole bar has only 2g of sugar, and the whole ingredients list is only chocolate & sugar.
    -World Market 99% bar tastes sweeter than the Lindt bar.
    -Both bars are delicious. Hard to pick a favorite; each has a very distinct flavor, and it would probably depend on my mood that day when deciding which to eat.
    -It's very easy to eat ALL of both bars in the span of 5 minutes before going into REI to shop.
    -If the only thing you eat all day to that point is two big 90+% dark chocolate bars, plus about three times as much green tea as you usually have in an average day, you will get JITTERY.
    -If you go work out right after consuming all that dark chocolate and green tea, an hour after working out you will FEEL LIKE YOU ARE GOING TO DIE AND EXPLODE AT THE SAME TIME.

On the plus side, now I think I can sit on the extra chocolate I bought for a week or so without wanting to eat any. I think I shock therapied myself out of dark chocolate for a while.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    The 90% Lindt bar is more nutty, while the lower %s are more fruity.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    70% is the perfect chocolate.

Chocolove 70% is my favorite. Also the almonds and sea salt one.
    I must agree, I've always been a milk chocolate person, and I've tried very hard to train myself to like dark chocolate and it just isn't happening. Even the 85% is too much for me. I've got some 72% at home now and it's perfect.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    I must agree, I've always been a milk chocolate person, and I've tried very hard to train myself to like dark chocolate and it just isn't happening. Even the 85% is too much for me. I've got some 72% at home now and it's perfect.
    I disagree. Some cacao beans are really rich in earthiness or nuttiness, and it's not worth putting more sugar in it because it completely ruins the taste.

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Hit World Market today and grabbed a 90% Lindt bar and the World Market brand 99% bar (actually, I bought a few of these to stockpile). Each bar was $2.00. I did a side-by-side comparison taste test in the parking lot. You know, for the sake of science.

Conclusions:
    -World Market 99% bar has great stats--the whole bar has only 2g of sugar, and the whole ingredients list is only chocolate & sugar.
    -World Market 99% bar tastes sweeter than the Lindt bar.
    -Both bars are delicious. Hard to pick a favorite; each has a very distinct flavor, and it would probably depend on my mood that day when deciding which to eat.
    -It's very easy to eat ALL of both bars in the span of 5 minutes before going into REI to shop.
    -If the only thing you eat all day to that point is two big 90+% dark chocolate bars, plus about three times as much green tea as you usually have in an average day, you will get JITTERY.
    -If you go work out right after consuming all that dark chocolate and green tea, an hour after working out you will FEEL LIKE YOU ARE GOING TO DIE AND EXPLODE AT THE SAME TIME.

On the plus side, now I think I can sit on the extra chocolate I bought for a week or so without wanting to eat any. I think I shock therapied myself out of dark chocolate for a while.
    Oooh. I might have to try some of this therapy...
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

fateater is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal123 View Post
    I am partial to raw organic cacao powder, but the raw organic cacao nibs take some getting used to. I recently read that green and black and lindt are both owned by large con-agra companies ( I don't remember which ones but seems like green and black may have been a Hershey company but I am not certain).

So disappointing. When I buy chocolate bars I generally stick to equal exchange brand as they source their chocolate from places that do not use child slave labor. Kind of made other chocolate lose it's appeal learning that cacao beans are often harvested using child slaves and heavily sprayed with pesticides.
    Ech, that IS disappointing. I really enjoy Green&Black's and here I thought I was doing something better by purchasing their bars, what with the fair-trade logo and all. And the Lindt 90% bar is totally my fall back cheaper dark chocolate.

I'll look into this because I am not interested in supporting non-ethically sourced cacao. Takes some digging sometimes but I believe we vote with our wallets every day.

Thanks for the heads up.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sezzajezza84 View Post
    I've never found anything over 85% where I am (Australia). I'll check the baking aisle but even there I'm pretty the 'dark' cooking chocolate is 70%.

I eat a lot of raw chocolate at the moment, it is pretty expensive though. I also have raw cacao butter which I add to smoothies and things sometimes. I guess 100% chocolate tastes similar?
    I have bought Lindt 90% and 99% blocks here in Australia before (though I'm not a huge fan of the flavour of most Lindt products in general).

Valrhona has some good dark chocolates at various high percentages - now THAT stuff is yum. And *hideously* expensive, so I dole it out only a little at a time (which is all I want when I have dark choc anyway).

As far as raw chocolate goes, the only ones I've tried have a horrid texture - all gritty. Ick. To me, the texture of chocolate is an important aspect of enjoyment. What brands of raw do you like?
    Last edited by Sigi; 11-17-2012 at 05:26 PM.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast