Thread: Low carb, low Sodium Beef/Turkey Jerky page

grecorosana is offline Junior Member

Low carb, low Sodium Beef/Turkey Jerky

Primal Fuel
    Hi all, I was wondering if anybody knows of a brand of beef/turkey jerky that is low sodium and low carb that I can actually buy at a store. I love jerky and have never tried to make it and I avoid buying it because of all the sugar and sodium it contains.

Thank you!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    It's extremely easy to make turkey jerky. I make it every few weeks. I have a Harvester dehydrator with 4 trays (square one). It is perfect for 1 large turkey breast. I buy a whole turkey, the legs get roasted, the rest are roasted and maketh bone broth and the breast gets sliced (while partially frozen), marinated over night and then dehydrated for 12 or so hours to make a pile of great jerky. My spice mix is 1/4 cup chili powder, about 2-3 tbsp of ground black pepper, fennel seed and coriander, a tsp of garlic powder, 1/2 tsp of cayenne, 1/4 cup Worcestershire & soy sauce and drizzle of liquid smoke. Obviously, if you want salt lower or sugar, replace Wostershire or salt with fish sauce and vinegar of some sort. You can dry it in the oven too, but dehydrator is very much worth it (nuts and veggie chips!)

I've just done beef heart that way and it's great.

For what it is, commercial jerky is gravely overpriced.
    Last edited by Leida; 11-15-2012 at 09:02 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

grecorosana is offline Junior Member
    I dont have a dehydrator and I doubt I will get one. My kitchen is too small. I wanted to maybe get recommendations on organic brands that I can buy at the store. Thank you for the recipe, sounds absolutely delicious!