Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadlift form check page

Gadsie is offline Senior Member

Deadlift form check

Primal Fuel
    Billie trips balls

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I am not an expert, but it looks like you are straigtening your knees/using the hip hinge too early. I think your knees should still be slightly bent until the bar is raised above them. Doing this should help put more emphasis on your glutes/hamstrings and less on your lower back since you can keep the bar closer to your body.

Your form on the way down is great. See how your knees bend as the bar passes them? Try to mimic that same motion, just in reverse of course, on the way up.

I recently read these articles from Eric Cressey:
    3 Coaching Cues for Strength and Conditioning Programs - Deadlift Technique Edition | Eric Cressey | High Performance Training, Personal Training
    Deadlift Dynamite: What a 1,000-Pound Pull Can Teach You | Eric Cressey | High Performance Training, Personal Training

My personal favorite cue that I found on a website a few years ago is to "push your knees out" when you are at the bottom about to start the lift. This fires your hip flexors and hamstrings so that they take the brunt of the weight at the bottom instead of your lower back.

Keep up the good work!
    Last edited by yodiewan; 11-15-2012 at 05:59 AM.

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    Out of curiosity, are you supposed to put the bar down each time? I only deadlift with a kettlebell, and just take it to mid-shin on way down. I think doing so may help you emphasize the glutes and hamstrings, keeping a constant motion vs. starting over each rep. Feel free to disregard...
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Owly is offline Senior Member
    A barbell deadlift is only complete if you set the weight back down again (even if it's just a touch and go, you still have to contact the floor).
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    Thanks. I learn so much on here.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    As said above it looks like your hip drive is off.
    It looks like you are using 15kg plates and not the full size 20 or 25kg plates. If you are going to use the smaller plates you should elevate them slightly so the bar is at the same height it would be if you were using the larger plates.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    As said above it looks like your hip drive is off.
    It looks like you are using 15kg plates and not the full size 20 or 25kg plates. If you are going to use the smaller plates you should elevate them slightly so the bar is at the same height it would be if you were using the larger plates.
    There's a 20kg plate and a 10kg plate. Thanks for the advice, and the others. I'll record myself again next time
    Billie trips balls

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member
    It also looks like your upper back is rounding a bit, which makes it harder to keep your lower back flat and the bar close. Instead of looking down, try focusing on a point about 12 feet in front of you on the floor. It really helps keep everything in line - it's all attached, you know!

Quote Originally Posted by Miscellangela View Post
    It also looks like your upper back is rounding a bit, which makes it harder to keep your lower back flat and the bar close. Instead of looking down, try focusing on a point about 12 feet in front of you on the floor. It really helps keep everything in line - it's all attached, you know!
    Well, I think my back isn't rounding, there's just no arch. I used to arch my back and get pain in different places in my hips. I now watched the SS dvd again and followed mark rippetoe's advice carefully: drop shins against the bar, chest up without lowering hips, and pull. If you don't lower hips, it's not really possible to arch your back, it just stays straight. This is also the first deadlift with this weight that didn't hurt anything.
    Billie trips balls

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Comparing your form to this Mark Rippetoe: Deadlift Set-Up - YouTube
    Although Rip tells the guy only to bend his knees far enough so that his shins touch the bar and not to drop his but,
    When he has him raise his chest, you do see his but drop a little more. Yours doesn't do this, as you don't seem to be raising your chest enough. Then when starting your lift you're also not leading with your chest, it looks like you're leading with your hips instead.

Try concentrating on pushing your chest out and moving it upwards first, then using your hips.

Just my opinion from observation, but I'm no expert :-)
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast