Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift form check page 3

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I don't think I'm not being a jerk. Do you let the floor take all the weight before you pull again, or do you touch and go? You're the one who said "touch and go". I just pointed out the fact that doing so is not truly a deadlift. And I'm not shouting, I was emphasizing the dead aspect of the deadlift utilizing capital letters. Glad you "get" it.
    I'm glad you also don't think you're not being a jerk.

I put the damn weight down. I already said that. As I said, you've made it abundantly clear that using "touch and go" is incorrect to describe what I do. How many more times do you want to tell me how to perform a deadlift? I don't cheat my lifts. No bouncing my bench, no halfways squats, no sloppy deadlifts, no leg push on a strict overhead press. Trust me, I'll never use "touch and go" to describe deadlifts ever again lest I offend some internet lifting guru somewhere.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Okay. Good for you then. Lots of people touch and go. Among these are crossfitters of all skill levels. Nothing against crossfitters or the touch-and-go deadlift (really a version of an RDL, as I said earlier), but those aren't deadlifts (except the first rep).

Good catch on my accidental double negative. You've probably invalidated everything I've ever said in the entirety of the internets.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    RichMahogany -- Please quit hounding Owly You ARE being a jerk for not just stopping.
    Owly -- Please just stop responding and quit feeding RM.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    What I'm seeing form wise in the video is that your knees straighten and you lift your butt before you begin to lift your shoulders and the weight away from the ground (what we refer to as the 'stripper' move )

Your set up looks good but I think one more thing at the end of your set up will help. Pre-tension the bar by shifting your weight firmly into your heels and (this is kinda hard to explain with words!) shift your shoulders back so they are directly above the bar but without lifting your butt any higher. You should feel the tension in your hamstrings before you begin the lift.

Then make sure you move your shoulders at the same time you move your hips. You knees and hips should open at the same time.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Does it really make that much difference if the bar isn't exactly the same height off the ground that it would be with the largest plates? I usually stack a couple of plates under mine so it's not right on the floor, but it's not nearly up as high as it would be if I used the largest plates. I'm not as tall as other people so I figure it's all kind of relative, isn't it?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Does it really make that much difference if the bar isn't exactly the same height off the ground that it would be with the largest plates? I usually stack a couple of plates under mine so it's not right on the floor, but it's not nearly up as high as it would be if I used the largest plates. I'm not as tall as other people so I figure it's all kind of relative, isn't it?
    It is. I think what really matters is leg length versus arm length (where your arms meet your legs when they're hanging down at your sides). Or if you have insane scoliosis that makes it look like your arms grow longer as you lift the weight up (Lamar Gant, probably the strongest man, pound for pound, to have ever lived):

I read an Eric Cressey article where he says that for many of his taller athletes, he has them do sumo style because their mechanics on conventional deadlift just suck.

Gadsie - Your knees are straightening completely before you move the bar off the floor. In other words, it's turning into a SLDL. The knees should straighten as the bar passes them. Your first rep shows this flaw, some of the later reps less so.

Also - Try not to let the bar move around at all when you're addressing it. Move yourself in relation to the bar. Some day you'll be pulling 500 pounds, and you're not gonna roll it around, you're going to want to move yourself to it. You're doing a good job with the "chest up" (a/k/a "show me your chest") cue before you start each pull. And your setup overall looks good to me. And you can handle a lot more weight than that. Get the knees to straighten gradually and start working your way up. I want to see you GRINDING through some HEAVY deadlifts in the next video.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctiluca View Post
    RichMahogany -- Please quit hounding Owly You ARE being a jerk for not just stopping.
    Owly -- Please just stop responding and quit feeding RM.
    Okay, mom. Just don't make me go to my room

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    I think we get a bit @nal about minutiae. Deadlift is an intuitive and a basic motion. The army of fitness experts end up complicating basic motions in the name of value addition.
    You do not get neat barbells with balanced weight distributions in real life. Sometimes it is a fully loaded suitcase, a sack of rice or sand, or just a rock. Just stand before the weight, balance yourself good and pick the damn thing up.
    Few but ripe.

Quote Originally Posted by 70in2012 View Post
    I think we get a bit @nal about minutiae. Deadlift is an intuitive and a basic motion. The army of fitness experts end up complicating basic motions in the name of value addition.
    You do not get neat barbells with balanced weight distributions in real life. Sometimes it is a fully loaded suitcase, a sack of rice or sand, or just a rock. Just stand before the weight, balance yourself good and pick the damn thing up.
    Sure. Why establish a standard against which to measure progress? Just lift it differently each time. Who cares about maximizing the efficiency so you can increase force production in an optimal manner? Who cares about using proper mechanics to avoid injury? In fact, barbells are overrated, we should all be looking for gyms with suitcases instead of iron plates and 7' bars.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast