Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadlift form check page 2

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    A barbell deadlift is only complete if you set the weight back down again (even if it's just a touch and go, you still have to contact the floor).
    What's "dead" about it if you touch and go? In order to truly deadlift, you have to deload the weight or your set consists of 1 deadlift followed by (your set - 1) Romanian deadlifts, which are easier.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    What's "dead" about it if you touch and go? In order to truly deadlift, you have to deload the weight or your set consists of 1 deadlift followed by (your set - 1) Romanian deadlifts, which are easier.
    If you fully make contact with the ground at the bottom, you're not doing a Romanian deadlift. You may make only very brief contact, but as long as you fully lower the weight to the ground and then lift it again, I'm not getting why you say it's not a real deadlift.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

If you fully make contact with the ground at the bottom, you're not doing a Romanian deadlift. You may make only very brief contact, but as long as you fully lower the weight to the ground and then lift it again, I'm not getting why you say it's not a real deadlift.
    Because it isn't. Calling this a deadlift is CrossFit propaganda (I'm kidding, but it's sort of true). A deadlift is lifting a loaded barbell from the floor with no stretch reflex and no rebound. That's what the word "dead" in its name refers to.

I'm not talking about rebounding it--you can't rebound really if you're controlling the bar fully on the descent rather than just letting it drop. I'm talking about setting it down for a brief second and then lifting it again. I'm not seeing how you get a rebound or stretch reflex from that if you are properly returning to the start position, however briefly.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

I'm not talking about rebounding it--you can't rebound really if you're controlling the bar fully on the descent rather than just letting it drop. I'm talking about setting it down for a brief second and then lifting it again. I'm not seeing how you get a rebound or stretch reflex from that if you are properly returning to the start position, however briefly.
    Are you talking about touch and go or completely deloading the weight? You said touch and go, which implies a stretch reflex. If you're talking about LIFTing the weight from sitting DEAD on the ground, then it's a deadlift. If you're talking touch-and-go (your words), it's a single deadlift followed by a series of RDL's.

You know what, interpret my words how you like, but what I meant was returning to the start position and then immediately beginning the next rep after fully making contact with the ground (rather than hanging around in the bottom of the lift). But hey, if you want to jump on me for using words you don't like, then fine. I mean touch, not bounce, and you obviously have to lower the weight down, not drop it or allow it to descend in an uncontrolled manner because the deadlift also includes the eccentric phase. If you perform that part of the lift properly, there's no way you're going to get a bounce or whatever. Good form prevents cheating remarkably well.

I don't know what kind of sloppy-ass Crossfitters you've been dealing with, but at the gym I was training at, you'd definitely get corrected for doing anything other than a controlled descent and proper lift.

I'll be sure to never, ever use "touch and go" again for clarity. Thanks for the smackdown.

Owly's Journal

You know what, interpret my words how you like, but what I meant was returning to the start position and then immediately beginning the next rep after fully making contact with the ground (rather than hanging around in the bottom of the lift). But hey, if you want to jump on me for using words you don't like, then fine. I mean touch, not bounce, and you obviously have to lower the weight down, not drop it or allow it to descend in an uncontrolled manner because the deadlift also includes the eccentric phase. If you perform that part of the lift properly, there's no way you're going to get a bounce or whatever. Good form prevents cheating remarkably well.

I don't know what kind of sloppy-ass Crossfitters you've been dealing with, but at the gym I was training at, you'd definitely get corrected for doing anything other than a controlled descent and proper lift.

I'll be sure to never, ever use "touch and go" again for clarity. Thanks for the smackdown.
    How about the guys in the CrossFit games? It's not sloppy, it's how they're taught. But you have to put the weight down (not just touch the plates to the floor) to truly do a deadlift.

I'm not talking about dropping it, or any aspect of the descent. If the floor doesn't have 300 pounds on it when you start lifting the bar, you didn't deadlift 300, even if the plates brush or touch the ground. DEADLIFTS are from a DEAD stop. The end.

Oh FFS. I put the goddamn weight down. I don't let go of the bar, but it is fully on the floor.

Can you back the hell off already? Seriously, you're being a jerk now. You don't need to keep "shouting" DEADlift at me. I fucking get it already, and it's what I do. Sorry for using a phrase that apparently pushes your buttons.

Owly's Journal

Oh FFS. I put the goddamn weight down. I don't let go of the bar, but it is fully on the floor.

Can you back the hell off already? Seriously, you're being a jerk now. You don't need to keep "shouting" DEADlift at me. I fucking get it already, and it's what I do. Sorry for using a phrase that apparently pushes your buttons.
    I don't think I'm not being a jerk. Do you let the floor take all the weight before you pull again, or do you touch and go? You're the one who said "touch and go". I just pointed out the fact that doing so is not truly a deadlift. And I'm not shouting, I was emphasizing the dead aspect of the deadlift utilizing capital letters. Glad you "get" it.

bostonwolf is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Love this thread. I'm mentally self-diagnosing myself and I think I've added a bit too much weight, because I think I'm doing too much hip and not enough chest on the upward movement.

Deadlifts are on the schedule for tonight so it will be a good opportunity to see if a bit less weight leads me to better form.
    ----------
    Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.
    1/8/13: 303.5 | 2/12/13: 298.5 | 2/26/13 295 | 3/07/2013 291.5

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast