Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing Body with no weight loss... experiences... page

MrT
    MrT is offline Junior Member

Changing Body with no weight loss... experiences...

Shop Now
    Hello Everyone,

I have been on the Primal diet for 7 weeks now. The reasons have been primarily around better energy through the day and ensuring all my sporting aches and pains can heal. It ahs been a success, not that any of you would be surprised, but I am a natural cycnic so had to see it to believe it. I am in pretty good shape and have a BF of aprox 10%, weight wise I lost about 5lbs and since then have stayed at this point. I wish to lose no further weight and I am quite happy maintaining.

The feedback I am looking for is do people still see changes in body shape even through they are holding steady weight wise... this is of course taking out exercise as a factor?

Myself and my GF, have both hit our targets and eat to stay at this level, but even though weight wise we are no longer losing I am adamant my body shape is changing as my trousers especially are feeling a little more baggy, this is perceived as I stupidly didnt take any measurements. MY GF also had the intial weight loss and like me though holding steady she appears to have lost weight visually but again the scale does not show and she does very very little exercise..

Have other people seen this and any reasoning why? Interested in peoples thoughts?

My assumption is that we have hit a healthy body state/balance and now the body is optimumly fuelled to bring the body composition into a more primal shape/build... maybe I am just grapsing

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Fat loss replaced by muscle will definitely result in a change of body composition without much movement on the scale. Clothes and measurements are a better indicator of your progress than a number on the scale any day.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Ye, I've lost 20lbs and people think I have lost a lot more. But I am lifting weights.

MrT
    MrT is offline Junior Member
    I can understand the fat/muscle trade off with exercise changing the body composition without weight change.

Its the changes that continue even with lack of activity to generate more muscle mass, that I am struggling to grasp. I guess if my skin can improve with diet and no exercise then it would safe to assume other parts can become "healthier" with diet alone resuling in better composition for no weight loss.

pbj
    pbj is offline Senior Member
    I totally noticed this - I initially lost the 'carb weight' and bloaty crap in about 5 weeks...amounted to around 15 pounds. That was about a year ago, and since then I've lost maybe only 5 more lbs...?
    but I went from a size 12 to a 4/6. For me the strangest thing is that at my age (42 today!), after switching to paleo / primal it wasn't effortless, but it was a hell of alot easier to lose inches than it was on CW diets and exercise.
    anyway

forward,
    pbj
    my info:

If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

My journal

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Went primal lost a niggling 10lbs while I continued to work out. Shirts are getting tighter at the same time.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    This has seemed to be the case for me as well. I have been at it about as long as you have. I wished I had measured with a tape when I started as I used only the scale. I have literally lost NO weight but I've had to get smaller clothes so I know something good is happening. I did go to a work "health fair" thing and got on a body fat scale thing. I'm too mortified to say the number it gave but I hope it's gonna keep going down over time. Anybody know how accurate those things are? It was a Tanita brand?
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I lost about 20 kilos (45 lbs) initially, but since then my weight has stabilised and I continued to lose waistline. That stalled a few months ago, so I guess this is the new me.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Excursivey, a scale cannot accurately measure your body composition. See the "bod pod".

Experts rate the best and worst in body-fat measurement devices.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Not only can there be muscle gain, but you can gain bone mass as well.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast