Thread: How long will it take me to give up the bad carbs and become 'primal'? page

jonnyhollis is offline Junior Member

How long will it take me to give up the bad carbs and become 'primal'?

Shop Now
    I'm on day 4 (again). I'm thinking that if I can do this for 2 weeks that I'll be cured. At 2 weeks the memory of milk chocolate, sugary snacks, ice-cream etc should be far enough in the past for me to be able to resist temptation and for temptation to have been replaced by new urges to eat nuts and stuff.

Is 2 weeks about right? Will my SAD cravings be manageable at this point for me to go on indefinitely?

4 days is good for me, so I'm hopeful this time. It usually goes wrong on day 2 or 3 and always at night. I'm more confident this time since I've discovered coconut smoothies. That's real coconut milk, not your big supermarket guar gum filth. Not a great thing to eat with a banana in and berries, still too much sugar but a lot better than a 45 minute carb binge at 10:30pm and a jump off the primal wagon. And it fills me up like mad.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I can't tell you. Nobody can. It depends on you alone. It was easy for me to go wheat-free but I still have sugar cravings 9 months into Primal, and I'm sure there are people who have been doing this for years who still struggle with cravings.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    It comes and goes for me and the longer you do it,the easier it is to fight cravings.

For me, the caving in just gets less and less. I used to eat baked stuff daily, now its a monthly splurge. For me, its a mix of feeding those cravings with primal foods (fruit, coconut flour cake, chocolate), just not having the item, or having it in moderation.

I don't think that too many people will never eat crap again after 2 weeks of primal, but if you go from eating crap daily to 2-3 times a month, you did your body a big favor.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

jonnyhollis is offline Junior Member
    Yeah, I just need to get over that hill. I'm hoping a big dollop of coconut fat every night will stop the night time cave-in. It's working so far.

I bet I finally do this and then throw it all away, by accidently binge-drinking during some December festive event or NYE.

snoops is offline Senior Member
    You dont throw it all away - you just pick yourself up and keep going.

I bet I finally do this and then throw it all away, by accidently binge-drinking during some December festive event or NYE.
    Oh, you'll likely win that bet, and what matters is that the next day you wake up and have your primal breakfast and move on. I had a vey festive birthday- and the day after, went to a very festive festival.... Oh hell yeah I went off on a crazy train of booze and crap. And it was fun.

And on Monday, I ate my primal meal, cursed at the bloat and moved on. My body didn't melt down, I didn't get kicked off primal, and while I had some cravings, it was not as bad when I started. It's just food- unless you have a full on big time allergy, you won't die, and you can always restart. If weightloss is an issue.... well, know that most of what you gained is bloat and will drain off over a week.... as long as you get back to it.

Neely is offline Member
    Yes as some have said it just depends, but two weeks was enough for me to replace beer and pizza with things like fruit or dark chocolate. There is a work's meal coming up though at a pizza and pasta place, so what am I supposed to eat? Either I don't go and risk offending people, or go and eat pizza. What do I do here? I'm just thinking about not going.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    For me it was a bit of an epiphany. I had been allowing myself two slices of sourdough bread per week so I could indulge in a "normal" burger once a week. Then I kind of partied for a few days with some friends, and ate more wheat products than I had even before PB. I woke up one morning and I felt like my skin was covered in powder. I got up, went to the freezer, threw away the last of that sourdough loaf, and never looked back.

I can usually alleviate the yen for sweets with a cuppa coffee with sweetener. The only bad thing about that is if I indulge late at night. That can sometimes result in staying awake long enough to see sunrise. Not very circadian of me.

What do I do here? I'm just thinking about not going.
    Get a salad with grilled chicken, a plain salad.....

Neely is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Get a salad with grilled chicken, a plain salad.....
    I don't think it's on the menu. Pizza or pasta? Hmmm...

Ah! There is a chicken starter, I'll order three of those and a side salad.