Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is breakfast 'the most important meal of the day' or is this another myth? page 3

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Right and Kelloggs has spent billions of dollars sponsoring studies and drumming that claim into our collective heads.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    When Kellogg's was first putting breakfast cereal on the shelves, they did a study that found that 7-year olds who ate breakfast performed better in school than children that didn't. The marketing that came out of that was, "Breakfast is the Most Important Meal of the Day!"

And maybe it is for growing little humans. But it doesn't apply to all adults at all.
    Good point! Small kids eat naturally very often, and larger kids should eat pretty often too, because they are growing. After the age of 25 though the metabolism start to slow down and most people will do better on skipping an early breakfast when getting older…
    Last edited by Gorbag; 11-15-2012 at 11:36 AM.

simpstr is offline Senior Member
    I get up around 5 or 5:30am most days and I make my eggs etc., hit the gym, then head to work. At around 7:45 or 8 I eat. On the weekends when I get up around 7:30 or so, I go workout at 8 first then get coffee usually and then go home around 9:30 or 10. I can't fast very long unless I eat high carbs like pancakes, or something heavy like that (which I eat maybe twice a year). If I have eggs at 8, I'm ready to eat a snack or something (usually a piece of fruit or some nuts) by noon and then lunch around 2:30 or so which is always primal. When I get home its around 6pm and I'm starving! If I don't work out in the am, then I hit the gym at 5:30pm and get home around 7:30 and I'm so hungry I can cut my arm off and eat it. I admire those that can IF for long periods.
    Health is Wealth!

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    I read somewhere, can't remember where now, but that after waking in the morning, when something goes in your stomach the metabolism naturally speeds up a little because the stomach thinks there is something in there to digest. But, it doesn't have to be food. Plain old water will do it. So basically, I think the whole breakfast/metabolism thing is more of a CW ploy to get people to buy into eating their cereal/toast/breakfast bars/muffins/bagels first thing in the morning.

I personally try to abide by the WHEN principle. Sometimes I eat first thing, sometimes at 10am, sometimes not until 1pm or so.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    The marketing that came out of that was, "Breakfast is the Most Important Meal of the Day!"
    I am not surprised by that, but what I don't understand is how different health gurus have such different ideas on the basics like that. I mean either it does, or it doesn't seems like it should be basic science-y stuff - some kind of study not funded by Kellogg's. Yet some still say to eat shortly after waking. Just weird to me is all. But lots of things confuse me, lots of things that seem like it should be this way or that way, yet there are several opinions and "studies". Just yakking outloud
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I love breakfast. I hate lunch. Your body probably tells you when to eat- no appetite at breakfast? Why bother!

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I am not surprised by that, but what I don't understand is how different health gurus have such different ideas on the basics like that. I mean either it does, or it doesn't seems like it should be basic science-y stuff - some kind of study not funded by Kellogg's. Yet some still say to eat shortly after waking. Just weird to me is all. But lots of things confuse me, lots of things that seem like it should be this way or that way, yet there are several opinions and "studies". Just yakking outloud
    For adults it makes very good sense to postpone the breakfast, giving the digestive system a break, getting rid of waste and also burn some fat…

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    gopintos, I think much of the problem is trying to find a one-size-fits-all approach. I didn't like breakfast much even as a kid, and by the time I was 15 or 16, I'd gulp a glass of Instant Breakfast just to satisfy my parents.

Gender differences, age differences, genetic differences, health differences, etc., make one standard solution impossible imo.

Here at this board, we can agree on the no grains and legumes, but after that, we have 3-mealers, IFers, low carbers, calorie restricters etc., who all have tailored the blueprint for their needs.

As a note, all of my grandparents lived to be 85+ and a great grandfather who lived to be 97, and they ate pasta on a regular basis. Still, I believe in deleting the current wheat crop from my diet. But there are plenty of pasta eatin' folks who will likely (with the help of genetics) live to be that age.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    gopintos, I think much of the problem is trying to find a one-size-fits-all approach.

As a note, all of my grandparents lived to be 85+ and a great grandfather who lived to be 97, and they ate pasta on a regular basis. Still, I believe in deleting the current wheat crop from my diet. But there are plenty of pasta eatin' folks who will likely (with the help of genetics) live to be that age.
    I hear ya.

Each year when I would go to my doctor about my weight, about all I ever got from the conversation from him was "my mom is overweight and in her 80's and doing just fine."
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    No, it's stupid. If you aren't hungry, don't eat. Many of us around here only eat once a day, and it's usually not breakfast.
    Yup.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast