Thread: Numb tongue after consumption of stevia? page

Griff is offline Senior Member

Numb tongue after consumption of stevia?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I figure stevia is infinitely superior to Splenda and other artificial sweeteners, but I've noticed that when I drink something that's sweetened with stevia, I have an odd numbness in the tongue for a few minutes afterward. Anyone else experience this?
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Yep! My mother gave me some iced tea flavored with Stevia and I noted that exact same tingling on the tip of my tongue.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Check your labels on stevia products. Most that I have found are not that pure.

As an alternative, try stevia plants and pick leaves. Not as sweet as the commercially processed powders, but still a little sweet.

The plant will be perenniel in zone 8 and higher.

schadowrider is offline Senior Member
    Interesting... Powdered or liquid? I've not noticed this before -- stevia is the only sweetener (liquid) I still use regularly (and only in my green or white tea at that, and in a fraction of the amount I used to use -- only two, maybe 3, drops in a large mug now...); I say "regularly", because IMO it sucks in espresso, for which I still use about a half tsp of Lakanto on the occasion that I have it (the espresso...). I'd wonder if it was the amount being used, but in my experience you'd know right away if you used too much (over the top sweet and not so good tasting!).

schadowrider is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by periquin View Post
    Check your labels on stevia products. Most that I have found are not that pure.
    Agreed; I have two bottles here at work: the one I don't care for and haven't really used much lists "grapefruit seed extract" as an other ingredient; the higher priced B.E.D. brand bottle (and IMO the best I've tried/used) says only white stevia powder & filtered water...