Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Always Hungry page 3

JonOhJay is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    My best advice for you might actually sound crazy, but try intermittent fasting. That has really helped curbed my hunger by helping me realize when I was actually hungry, and not just craving food.

campanella is offline Senior Member
    I had the same issue for a little while, but the way I've found around it is eating copious amounts of fats+starches together. For example a big sweet potato with at least a tablespoon of butter keeps me going longer than either of those things separately...

Aussie Primal is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonOhJay View Post
    My best advice for you might actually sound crazy, but try intermittent fasting. That has really helped curbed my hunger by helping me realize when I was actually hungry, and not just craving food.
    I should have mentioned I tried this also. I tried varying lengths but my longest one was 20 hours. Should I try a longer fast?

Quote Originally Posted by campanella View Post
    I had the same issue for a little while, but the way I've found around it is eating copious amounts of fats+starches together. For example a big sweet potato with at least a tablespoon of butter keeps me going longer than either of those things separately...
    Hmmm, I'm almost certain this would make me feel full as well. But I haven't done this (mix carbs and fats) for over a year. I have been reluctant to do it because of weight gain.

Did your weight change? Did you continue to feel good/steady blood sugar/good energy levels?

Despite my reservations, I have decided to try it. I often make baked sweet potato chips in coconut oil for my daughter and I always sneak one. I love them! I guess now I can have them also, for purely experimental and scientific research purposes...

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    I don't think you'll gain weight from reintroducing starchy vegetables--I should warn you, though, I eat lots of them and I still have the always-hungry issue, so there's got to be more to it. I fast occasionally, too... But the never-quite-satisfied feeling remains.

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    Pregnant?

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    I don't think you'll gain weight from reintroducing starchy vegetables--I should warn you, though, I eat lots of them and I still have the always-hungry issue, so there's got to be more to it. I fast occasionally, too... But the never-quite-satisfied feeling remains.
    I hope this is the case with me. If I can introduce some starchy vege carbs to feel full but not put on weight I would be happy. I have just always thought that weight gain would be inevitable if I introduced them. Hopefully they will do the trick.

How long have you been feeling this way 2ndChance? I hope you can get it sorted too. I'm interested to see how you go with this, let me know if you ever stumble across the solution. It sounds like you've tried lots of things, as I have, in an attempt to address the problem. These things can be quite hard to pinpoint sometimes.

Have you tried a refeed? They seem to work differently for everyone but I know quite a few people for whom a refeed worked wonders. As shocking an idea as it may seem, have you tried going back to SAD macro %'s minus gluten, soy, sugar, HFCS, crap oils, etc? Have you tried having some rice for example? You could try it even just for 3 days, sometimes that's enough to "reset", as it were. These things didn't work for me but like I said, I know some people that have had great success with it.

I hope you can resolve your issue soon

Quote Originally Posted by Primal123 View Post
    Pregnant?
    I wondered if someone would ask this question No, definitely not pregnant.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Primal View Post
    I should have mentioned I tried this also. I tried varying lengths but my longest one was 20 hours. Should I try a longer fast?
    It couldn't hurt to try. Key word here is TRY though. Don't push it if it makes you uncomfortable or if you just get so hungry you can't concentrate on anything else.

Try it out, see how you feel, and go from there. One advantage to fasting is that it forces utilization of body fats, at least to some degree, increasing fat adaptation which may help to lower your hunger levels in the long run.

Don't quote me on this though. Everyone is different, and you mileage might vary a little. My personal n=1 was that as I played around with longer and longer fasts, my hunger got into check, I started eating less (though still within a healthy range), leaning out, and found it easier to shift quickly between sugar and fat burning. I now can get back into fat burning just about 24 hours after a carb refeed, where before I started experimenting with longer fasts, it took me 48 or more hours to get back to fat burning.

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    I'm with you on that.
    I experience the same thing, it could be due to my hormonal imbalances (messed up circadian rhythm messes with hunger, and so does elevated estradiol levels in men) but, well, if I remember correctly you recovered from a short bout of anorexia nervosa. It's the same thing for me. Experienced body degradation from severe hypogonadism and then fell in the trap of disordered eating for 2 months.

It could have something to do with this state of starvation and maybe we'll have to wait for our body to adjust.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast