Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Always Hungry page 2

Primal kenny is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Sound too me like your breakfast is a little light. When I first started primal I was eating 3-4 eggs with bacon or sausage with an avocado/full fat sour cream spread on my eggs. Then I was getting lazy about peeling/mixing avocadoes and they kept going bad on the counter so I stopped buying for a while. The I was down to 2-3 eggs with bacon or sausage and found myself hungry half way to lunch. Now I always try to have the additional fat in the morning and has helped my cravings/hunger.

simpstr is offline Senior Member
    are you drinking water? sometimes you think you're hungry and its really that your body needs more water.
    Health is Wealth!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I'm reluctant to post this without a reference/link, but sometimes I read stuff and just brain file it. Apparently there is a hormone that's released after you lose weight that makes you hungry. It's a partial explanation to why so many people yoyo with their weight.

Good suggestions on getting past this have already been posted, but I wanted to share this hormone theory.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    I would try decreasing fat and upping carbs, especially starchy ones.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal kenny View Post
    Sound too me like your breakfast is a little light. When I first started primal I was eating 3-4 eggs with bacon or sausage with an avocado/full fat sour cream spread on my eggs. Then I was getting lazy about peeling/mixing avocadoes and they kept going bad on the counter so I stopped buying for a while. The I was down to 2-3 eggs with bacon or sausage and found myself hungry half way to lunch. Now I always try to have the additional fat in the morning and has helped my cravings/hunger.
    Yeah, getting hungry for me is caused by not enough fat for breakfast.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Caveman_Sam is offline Member
    Does anyone have experience with leptin refeeeds actually working?

I know Lyle McDonald used to advocate and Aragon but I've tried it too and it didn't work..

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Some good ideas here, and I'll throw in my odd two cents: when I'm not sleeping enough and am stressed (they usually go together), I am hungrier more. Took me a while to realize it, but sleeping more is totally key to weight and hunger control for me.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Ugh, I have this same problem. If I could devote every moment of my life to cooking and eating, I still don't think it would be enough food. Obviously, I can't do that, so I'm out and about just daydreaming about food. I'm eating fairly low carb--maybe 7 white or sweet potatoes a week, salads daily, fruit here and there--so I know it's not a blood sugar rollercoaster (I remember what it felt like to constantly need carbs, and this is different, now all I want to do is eat beef all day)... I can't afford the amount of food my body wants these days. A few years ago I would've given anything to be able to eat constantly and not gain weight, but now I find myself ravenous even right after meals. I swear I've poured like 600 cals of heavy cream on a few raspberries and I'll be hungry again in an hour and I'll never put on any weight.

I guess it might be my body's way of saying it's not at its happy weight yet, but I've already slimmed down so much that it seems ridiculous to get any skinnier... I'm already at the limit of my budget so I can't afford to eat more. I've stopped exercising, too, definitely lost some muscle tone, but I need my metabolism to slow down... I thought maybe caffeine was the culprit but on no-caffeine days I still experience the same thing, plus the no-coffee blues...

I'm watching the replies for useful advice... I feel like I do everything "right"--I get enough sleep, I never cheat, I haven't even looked at a grain in months, I bathe everything I eat in like half a jar of coconut oil (which I've heard stimulates the liver to burn fat more quickly, well that's just great, can't you slow down there, liver? I'm tryna get through the day here!). I stuff my face with nuts, dark chocolate, cream, meat, eggs... I cannot be satisfied. My boyfriend is having the same problems. We both can't stop losing weight (which I find hilarious given that I will literally lap bacon fat off the plate, yet 90% of America has the opposite problem, wants to lose weight, and the first thing they do is give up tasty fat for tasteless granola bars and shit)...

I mean, maybe it's my body's way of rejecting a way of life that prevents it from eating when it wants to. My inner cavewoman rebelling against the constraints of modern society. Unfortunately the inner cavewoman can't have her way, so I'll just have to accept looking even more like I have chicken legs...or else I'll just have to start carrying a jar of coconut oil around with me, but at this point it'd be gone in 2 days and I'd probably still be hungry..
    Last edited by 2ndChance; 11-15-2012 at 04:15 PM.

Aussie Primal is offline Junior Member
    Thank you so much to everybody for all the suggestions, It has given me some ideas to try.

In regards to:

Variety in plant matter and nuts – I love veges and I think I do eat a fairly wide variety of them. Although I do not eat starchy veges. I also eat a variety of nuts, namely, macadamias, almonds, walnuts, almond butter.

Vitamin and mineral supplements – I just got my full blood work done and came out good across the board. The only supplement I take is a good quality fish oil.

Probiotics and fermented products – I eat yogurt about twice a week, also I have sauerkraut (organic) about once a week. I’m going to start drinking kombucha too. Is there something else/better I can do for probiotics?

Additional fat – I always put ghee on my veges, will have avo with salads, butter sauce with steak, etc. I was worried I was eating too much fat.

Satiating foods – I do feel more satisfied with carbs, but don’t eat them because I’m not exercising at the moment. Even when I was exercising I wasn’t eating carbs and was feeling fine for ages. I’m getting the feeling that bringing in some starchy veges is what I need to be doing (regardless of fear of weight gain).

Water – I love water and drink it like a fish. I always have a glass on my desk and drink it all day long. I don’t think it’s thirst.

Sleep – I get an average of about 8 hours a night, and I’m not stressed either. I was thinking about upping my sleep to 9 hours and see how I go (bed 1 hour earlier).

The first thing I’m going to try is to eat some sweet potato with meals. I have noticed when doing refeeds lately that I feel so much fuller for longer (carb content) and much more satisfied. I’ve always gone back to low-ish carb though because of my energy needs (low). I’ll also try including more fat in my breakfast, I thought I was already eating quite a lot, but it’s definitely worth a try.

Thanks again everyone for all your advice

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Learn More
    Geez, maybe coconut oil is *too* good for me... All I keep finding on Google is stuff about its magical metabolism-boosting powers. Maybe I should cook everything in butter for awhile instead and see if I stay fuller longer.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast