Thread: Primal Journal SAGrokette page

SAGrokette is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal SAGrokette

Primal Fuel
    I haven't finished reading the book yet. I have been surfing this site and gathering the bits and bobs, so starting a Journal anyway, as I have been eating Primal for two weeks now - give and take a few glitches.

It all started with coconut oil and a surge of happy energy I haven't experienced since childhood. And a few 'aha' moments of when I tried to go all organic and zen using organic brown rice, fruits, veg and beans - and gained 10 kg, developed serious health issues and immune system crashed big time. All this during a time when I was addicted to hard core exercise and was teaching at least two hours of aerobics and 1 hour of my own chronic cardio training daily.

Then one day I craved steak, I ate fillet for breakfast lunch and supper - if I could - and all the health issues started to clear - stopped the high carb low fat vegetarian zen thing - ate meat - and my health improved. The only thing missing was quality fats. A decade later here I am .

Day One:

Breakfast:
    Black central American Coffee with 1 tbsp coconut oil and 1 tsp xylitol
    4tbsp lamb mince left-overs
    Salad, 1 tbsp fenugreek sprouts and a small avocado

Lunch:
    2 eggs (boiled)
    oopsie - two cookies - Not planning ahead here - resulted in blood sugar crash later

Supper:
    Lamb mince
    Salad
    1 tbsp sunflower seeds
    half cup of frozen blueberries, 2 tbsp coconut milk, 1 tsp organic cocoa powder, 1 tsp raw honey, 10 raw almonds - tried to blend it with a hand blender and that was not successful, so just ate it like so - YUM!

Exercise: 20 - 30 minute walk and a 4 minute Tabata body weight session before bed

My goals this month:

To be leaner, fitter, and more intuitive with the needs of my body - rest, sprint, eat, not eat - whatever they may be. To get my blood sugar balanced and be a fat burning machine :0)

How much leaner? Overall I would like to be 7kg lighter in body fat. 20 % body fat. In the next 30 days I would like to less body fat more lean muscle and better sleep.

Breakfast:
    Coffee, 1 tbsp coconut oil, xylitol.
    Lamb mince, yellow and orange peppers, cucumber, 1 tbsp fenugreek sprouts

Lunch:
    Poor preparation - handful of raw almonds

oops:
    milk chocolate (note to myself, PREPARE FOR THE DAY!)

Supper:
    Lamb mince. spinach.

TEA: milk thistle, nettle, horsetail

Exercise:

Lifted heavy things 90 minutes> I had a urge to re-arrange my home. Moved furniture, files, books, all done in a evening.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, your journey towards discovering this way of eating is interesting. Good luck with your meal planning, it sure helps a lot.

Breakfast: Lamb mince and spinach with red and yellow peppers, cucumber PLUS coconut oil and xylitol in black coffee
    Lunch: Free range eggs omelette with mixed salad and a small avocado
    Snacks: raw macadmia and raw almonds, beef biltong (dried raw meat) Americano black coffee
    Supper: Steamed mushrooms and hake fillets with salad, 1 tbsp pumpkinseeds and 1 tbsp olive oil
    Tea: milk thistle, horsetail, nettle, peppermint

Exercise: 10 minute interval train / sprint with ten minute on powerplate doing Grok Squats, push ups, step ups, and plank. Ten minutes was enough, I really felt it.

Generally active throughout the day. I always take the stairs, park where there is parking (usually a good walk from the main entrance to anywhere LOL). But I also like to rest, so I lay on my bed with the setting sun reading PB Book.
    Last edited by SAGrokette; 11-16-2012 at 10:03 PM.

Thanks! Annie!

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! Your food sounds pretty good and great that you got some sprints in! If I don't plan ahead I end up nibbling on all kinds of unnessecary bits and pieces. Better to have a decent meal so that you are satisfied ... or fast. Of course that is easier said than done. (Also a South African, albeit one living in the USA.)
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 224.8 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Journalling my thought on PB here:

I had a wobbly while half way through the book. My head went into all sorts of questions: How can I do this on my budget? How can I sustain this way of eating on my budget? How do I source wild caught and not farmed fish? Is it possible to do this without eating chickens and cows?

I tried IF with BP coffee (not the BP coffee brand, the best I could source - and I was hungry within 30 minutes. Bloated. And since trying coffee for breakfast the past few days - weak) So my coffee choice is not good for me. Perhaps I can source a better one and go with ghee, not Kerrigold butter.

So I had to ask myself the question.

What is important right now?

So here is what I decided:

1. Start with balancing out my insulin and get into fat burning mode. Make free range eggs,free range chicken livers and fish (tinned will have to be acceptable for most of this) my main proteins. When I can find free range meat and can afford it, GREAT!

2. Continue my big salads with avocado (in season) and sunflower and pumpkinseeds. Raw nuts like almonds are more affordable than macadamia. One would think nuts, especially macadamia would be cost effective given my location - but not so.

3. Make sure I eat plenty oil - organic coconut oil is cost effective - I found a huge tub and I drink a tbsp in 30 ml hot water before meals.

4. Supplements: If I taken nothing else, it should be quality fish oil or krill oil and Betaine HCL ( to help digestion with the extra protein and fat until my body has adjusted) and a quality probiotic.

For now, get into the mode of eating ... attempting the Leptin Reset 50 gm of protein - OMG. But at least I may be too full for lunch and get to eat a late lunch/early supper - two meals per day instead of three - easier on the budget! lol

Not too fuss too much over sources of protein - grass fed vs grain, wild vs farmed. If not grass fed, choosing lean cuts. If grass fed go with the marbled look.

I have been researching my locals for grass fed meat and enquiring about wild vs farmed fish sources. It would be easier for me to go more fish, as I live on the coast and fish is caught daily. Its just that budget again ...
    Last edited by SAGrokette; 11-19-2012 at 03:25 AM.

So I started today with 5 free range eggs and 1 tbsp coconut oil and 1/4 avo. I took 1 Betaine HCL with the meal. I feel over-fed, excessively thirsty, weak and tired.

Did I feel better on BP coffee? I felt clearer in my head. I had more energy. mmmmm....rethinking ... everything now.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yesterday I started with IF using green tea with 1 tbsp Kerrigold butter and 2 tbsp coconut oil :0)

I managed, with much thirst and extra water to only eat after 12pm. I had a few energy dips and hunger pangs, but as the time went on I felt better.

Lunch: Mackerel and big mixed salad and 1/2 avocado. I had a portion size of the palm of my hand and found half way through that I couldn't eat anymore, doing so would stretch my stomach, which isn't the goal here. LOL So I left half the fish and ate the salad and avocado.

Snack: Pecans

Later: Americano coffee (black) and 1 square Lindt 70%. This coffee shop gives you a wrapped square with every coffee purchase. I LOVE THIS! Its better than a little cookie. I put the square in the coffee and let it melt - yum.

Not much appetite but felt around 7pm that I needed some protein, so I finished the left-over mackerel from lunch with a smaller salad, added 1 tsbp sunflower seeds.

I noticed I slept better last night - deeper and more restful. My sinuses are filled with mucous - I had to blow my nose a few times this morning, my skin feels rough and my tongue feels weird. I am noticing more definition on my abs.

I did sprints on the beach for 20 minutes and later on a walk 20 minutes at sunset.