Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coffee and gluten/grains? page 2

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I get bloated when I drink coffee. It might just be the quality of coffee that I normally get outside of home or the small amount of casein in the cream (although I sometimes drink it black), but I think I have a cross-reaction with them as gluten.

llong is offline Junior Member
    Honestly, research has shown that coffee can have a positive impact on those who are prone to colon cancer. My gluten and dairy intolerance seem to have come along with other issues that tell me (and my dr.) I am at increased risk of colon cancer so I drink coffee for medicinal purposes (That's my excuse and I am sticking to it Truly, I have never noticed any connection between coffee and my gluten intolerance. I do get bloating if I have cream in my coffee but not if I have coconut milk or almond milk.
    Last edited by llong; 11-15-2012 at 08:58 AM.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    Things I will not give up:

Coffee, beef, bacon, scotch, barbells, guns, you can have the rest.
    for me replace the scotch with bourbon and barbells with walks in the woods and add chocolate

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Ohhhh goddammit!

Coffee was the one thing I had left...
    Gave up chocolate and gave up tea because I'm a walking time bomb for kidney stones... gave up all the other bad** habits... except for one or two lovely cups of coffee 4-5 days a week because it's freaking delicious.

And now that's gonna cause autoimmune problems too!
    I want more information.

**bad- chocolate, tea, and coffee are not really "bad"... they have wonderful properties when consumed in moderation... by people who can process them properly and who don't have medical issues evidently. Goddammit!
    Tea and kidney stones?
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Coffee for me is like chocolate for some people.

Coffee good. No coffee bad. Bad coffee is worse than no coffee.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by solomani View Post
    Someone sent me this:
    Gluten Issues or Celiac? Don’t Drink Coffee!

Discuss. Personally she isn't quoting any research and I have never found coffee to exacerbate (or improve) my IBD nor have I ever heard anyone say it has.
    Haven't read the whole thread. But ...

I'd think this is coming out of the "cross reactive" panel that one of the labs is doing.

AFAIK, some people (not all) who are sensitive to gluten have the same kind of reaction to coffee. Now that kind of cross-reactivity can occur because the general configuration of some molecule in a food (or its broken down products) is sort of like that in another. As I understand it, that's NOT likely what's going on with coffee. What's probably going on there is that people so commonly drink coffee with pastries, that the body goes on red alert when it detects coffee entering the system.

You remember that thing "If it's Tuesday this must be Belgium?"

Something similar. The body is thinking: "If this is coffee, there must be a Danish pastry coming soon."

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    Tea and kidney stones?
    I take two medications that specifically are known to cause calcium oxalate kidney stones at a considerable rate in those who take them... taking them both together is almost a guarantee for stones.
    Tea and chocolate both (especially tea) are high in oxalates which would promote kidney formation in me. I gave them up to avoid that along with a bunch of other high oxalate foods (I also employ other prophylactic measures, taking K citrate and drinking water with lime juice for the citrate in it all day- citrate helps dissolve CalOx stones) , and so far all my labs have come back clean as a pin.
    My docs are impressed that I have no detectable crystal formation at all...

For a normal healthy person drinking tea(etc.) is not a problem... the body can handle and excrete the oxalates quite easily.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Coffee for me is like chocolate for some people.

Coffee good. No coffee bad. Bad coffee is worse than no coffee.
    Yes!
    I thought I would miss chocolate. Nope, not really.
    I LOVE coffee! I get the really good stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Haven't read the whole thread. But ...

I'd think this is coming out of the "cross reactive" panel that one of the labs is doing.

AFAIK, some people (not all) who are sensitive to gluten have the same kind of reaction to coffee. Now that kind of cross-reactivity can occur because the general configuration of some molecule in a food (or its broken down products) is sort of like that in another. As I understand it, that's NOT likely what's going on with coffee. What's probably going on there is that people so commonly drink coffee with pastries, that the body goes on red alert when it detects coffee entering the system.

You remember that thing "If it's Tuesday this must be Belgium?"

Something similar. The body is thinking: "If this is coffee, there must be a Danish pastry coming soon."
    This makes me feel a little better, especially since I've been off of grains/gluten for quite a while and I was never one to eat food with coffee anyway.
    No coffee + pastry for me. So my body would have never made this association?
    Just the coffee.

For me coffee:
    does not = food (I NEVER eat with my coffee.)
    does not = feeling stimulated
    does not = sleep changes
    It just tastes delicious.

I drink a couple of small, vintage 1970's, size cups per day.
    That's it.

However, if I find more that one source of information about coffee triggering the same autoimmune response as the glutens in grains I may have to rethink it.
    Having autoimmune disease(s) sucks.
    I have recovered an amazing amount despite continuing to drink coffee... but I'm not 100% normal yet.
    Since I did so many years of damage after becoming sick before stopping the barrage of offending substance I don't know if I will ever be 'normal'... but I'm trying.
    Last edited by cori93437; 11-15-2012 at 10:54 AM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    It's Cyrex:

Cyrex Tests & Arrays

See array 4. With them you'd probably do array 3 first. And then -- if and only if you tested +ve on array 3, would you need to splash out for array 4.

The suggested explanation is the one I heard. It sound plausible. They say it's not uncommon among people who are gluten sensitive.

But how anyone would check a Cyrex result, being as they seem to be the only people doing some of these tests ... well, you couldn't.

But it's the same with any lab test up to a point. Paul Chek days he's often drawn two blood or urine samples and sent them off to a lab under different names ... and got back different results.

Really, we're all groping in the dark. People do as they think, test if they can afford it, and if they do test hope the results are valid.

I suppose "eliminate then challenge" would be another way to try to find out.

As I understand it, some people think that if you go through a really good gut-repair protocol, then you may be able to handle a food you couldn't before. Others think that if you once start making antibodies to body tissue of one sort or another on account of a food allergy, then that food's off the menu for ever. But further, if (again) I'm understanding right, no-one actually knows.

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    It's Cyrex:

Cyrex Tests & Arrays

See array 4. With them you'd probably do array 3 first. And then -- if and only if you tested +ve on array 3, would you need to splash out for array 4.

The suggested explanation is the one I heard. It sound plausible. They say it's not uncommon among people who are gluten sensitive.

But how anyone would check a Cyrex result, being as they seem to be the only people doing some of these tests ... well, you couldn't.

But it's the same with any lab test up to a point. Paul Chek days he's often drawn two blood or urine samples and sent them off to a lab under different names ... and got back different results.

Really, we're all groping in the dark. People do as they think, test if they can afford it, and if they do test hope the results are valid.

I suppose "eliminate then challenge" would be another way to try to find out.

As I understand it, some people think that if you go through a really good gut-repair protocol, then you may be able to handle a food you couldn't before. Others think that if you once start making antibodies to body tissue of one sort or another on account of a food allergy, then that food's off the menu for ever. But further, if (again) I'm understanding right, no-one actually knows.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread67241.html

This endocrinologist says coffee is no good for auto immune issues for gluten intolerant people. Check out his other videos. Very smart man.

I have cut coffee this week. Three days without an espresso! Have also cut dairy to see whether my thyroid function improves (hasimotos).

I have already noticed a difference in bloating but now don't know if it was the coffee or dairy!

solomani is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Rueben View Post
    I have cut coffee this week. Three days without an espresso! Have also cut dairy to see whether my thyroid function improves (hasimotos).

I have already noticed a difference in bloating but now don't know if it was the coffee or dairy!
    I suspect its the dairy. Please tell us how you go. And if all goes well drink some black coffee and see. I have ulcerative proctitis and I don't see coffee helping or hindering this particular disease and I actively test myself with food constantly. However I only drink black coffee.

And I counter that study with this:
    Caffeine: A vitamin-like nutrient, or adaptogen. Questions about tea and coffee, cancer and other degenerative diseases, and the hormones.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12