Thread: too much fat? page

emilyvvv is offline Junior Member

too much fat?

Hello all,

So I have read a lot about what happens when one binges on sugar (insulin responses, etc.), but I am wondering what happens when one eats too much fat...

The blueprint says 1/2 of our calories should come from fat and that once we have established how many calories we want to consume and add in how much protein & carbohydrates we will allow, then we can fill in the rest of our calories with fat. but what if we get enough protein one day, keep carbs to a minimum (below goal) but load up with fat... like consume a whole can of coconut cream lol and ultimately consume more calories in the day than was planned?

What are the effects?

Thanks!

Primal is offline Senior Member
    What's this "calories we want to consume" and "consume more calories in the day than was planned" all about? I don't have my PB copy handy, but Mark talks about daily calorie counts in the book as part of the planning-what-to-eat thought process?

Oh, and to your question, I don't think there's such a thing as "too much fat" provided you don't eat sticks of butter ONLY, drink cocunut milk ONLY, etc. If you eat high-fat foods, there will/should be sufficient protein in them as well so that your ratios will be fine.

JustinKN is offline Junior Member
    From my experience I'd definitely have to say there's such a thing as too much fat. If I cook with too much beef tallow I can tell, and tell quickly. It mostly ends up in your stool, with a oily top film ending up in the toilet. Anyone else have this experience? Because as of late I have been too regular, to put it cleanly. Perhaps it's the source of fat? I've heard varying responses about the quality of US Wellness beef tallow.

emilyvvv is offline Junior Member
    Well the calories words I got from the most recent "How much is too much?" post:
    "For the vast majority of us, a useful way to approach the fat question is to first dial in your protein intake and then look at what carb intake you’re shooting for," and, "After accounting for adequate protein and desired Primal carbs, you can fill out the rest of your caloric needs with fat."

I am asking because I feel as though I consumed a lot of EVOO yesterday (cooked eggplant, salad, coconut cream) and just had my normal amount of protein. Just wondering about the metabolic process involved in large amounts of fat consumption as I am aware of the processes subsequent to excessive sugar consumption.

Suki is offline Senior Member
    I would suggest you put your numbers into FitDay and figure out your macronutrient ratios. Fat increases satiety and it's likely that you reduced either your protein or carb intake as a result - whether you meant to or not.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by emilyvvv View Post
    "For the vast majority of us, a useful way to approach the fat question is to first dial in your protein intake and then look at what carb intake you’re shooting for," and, "After accounting for adequate protein and desired Primal carbs, you can fill out the rest of your caloric needs with fat."
    When I read that originally I took it to mean, work out how much protein you should have, then your carbs (perhaps based on the carb chart in the 101 section) and then eat fat for the rest of your intake. So for eg, you might have 100 g per day each of protein and carbs, then the rest of your food is made up of fat. If you would normally eat 3000 calories this will be a lot more than if you normally eat 2000.

Does that make sense?