Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The French Fry Diet (I'm serious) page

otzi Guest

The French Fry Diet (I'm serious)

Shop Now
    Free The Animal

I created a monster!

"But no, this relates to a bit of a weight / fat loss self experiment involving potatoes. See, some of us older folk have no problem getting most of the blubber off. It's that last 15-25 pounds that's a bitch and as I just blogged about, the so-called potato diet is really showing promise. So as with many things, I'm open to giving it a try. Here was the main post on the subject: The Latest Diet & Exercise Hacking Towards a Goal.

The key is to use something that fills and satiates you, that you have a hard time eating enough of to maintain body weight and is super low in fat such that your cells will be going to your fat cells to cash in regularly. And, the amino acid profile is of sufficient quality to promote lean muscle retention."

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Somebody tell that guy he might just consider cutting back on the scotch

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    <giggles>

That is hilarious -- mostly because that was my breakfast this morning!!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

rnikoley is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Free The Animal

I created a monster!
    Laf. Be careful what you ask for.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Same. Plus scrambled eggs of course.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I seem to be living on potatoes'n'eggs lately. Must be the cold weather.

rnikoley is offline Junior Member
    "I created a monster!"

Laf. Be careful what you wish for.

Kvalhion is offline Senior Member
    From the article:

The key is to use something that fills and satiates you, that you have a hard time eating enough of to maintain body weight and is super low in fat, such that your lean tissue cells will be going to your fat cells to cash in regularly (they need fat). And, the amino acid profile is of sufficient quality to promote lean muscle retention in the face of a caloric deficit. See, all neat & tidy.
    Just saying it doesn't make it true, which was one of the main discussion points in the other potato diet thread that pklopp was posting in. I am not certain which way I am leaning towards the whole potato diet thing. This is day 5 of my 5 day potato diet.

I lost a few pounds as expected during the first three days as it was over the weekend / veterans day and I wasn't working out. At the start of day 4 I was 4 pounds down, but that was also following a pattern where I would drop a few pounds on the scale on days I didn't work out as I got rid of water, etc. I did a Crossfit workout on Tuesday and, again as expected, was up 2.6 pounds on the start of today (day 5). I'll probably be a similar weight within a pound or so tomorrow.

As far as satiety, I havent had problems sticking with only potatoes, other than the times I was out with my girlfriend and the kids at restaurants over the weekend. It's kind of boring, but not a big deal.

In the end I am glad I tried it, and overall it made me realize that I do need more potatoes and rice in my diet especially as I do crossfit workouts 5x a week.

Anyway, I can see both sides of the argument at this point. Is all the weight coming off that people have lost on the potato diet pure fat? Probably not. Is all the weight coming off that people have lost on the potato diet solely from lean mass? Probably not. The middle area is a bit fuzzy, so I can see using the potato diet as a tool for a day occasionally but my personal plan is to back to my primal eating and keep adding healthy starches mostly from sweet potatoes on the days I work out.
    5-24-10 ................ 5-24-11
    Weight: 281.......... Weight: 203

10-11-10
    Weight: 259
    Total Cholesterol: 243
    LDL: 188
    HDL: 40
    Trig: 96

2-18-11
    Weight: 228
    Total Cholesterol: 239
    LDL: 183 (calc), 138 (actual)
    HDL: 46
    Trig: 49

6-23-11
    Weight: 197.2
    Total Cholesterol: 225
    LDL: 161 (calc), 120 (actual)
    HDL: 56
    Trig: 38

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    I love it! Next time I do the 'tater thang' I will definitely add in some of these fries. I have been against any type of oil, but Richard makes a good case for the miniscule amount he uses to turn out a quality potato meal.

I know there has been some dissention in the ranks that the potato diet is not healthy, faddish, yo-yo, muscle-wasting, whatever, but I think it will have wide impact on the dieting community as a whole as this gains speed.

Think about it, a simple, nutritious way to lose a few pounds of fat in a few weeks. So many people spend thousands of dollars and spin their wheels for months or years to lose 10 pounds and keep it off. This little trick shows so much promise it's ridiculous. I can see how it could be commercialized and turned into something not-so-good, but I can also see how it can be used by masses of people a few times a year to keep their weight in check.

Jeannie_5 is offline Member
    ...rr eye on Mark's site??? Rr m eye wost??? ...???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast