Thread: Pilchard Kedgeree page

pjgh is online now Senior Member

Pilchard Kedgeree

Shop Now
    You read that right: Pilchard Kedgeree.

First, let's get the contentious one out of the way: rice.
    Is Rice Unhealthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

It's been many months since I last ate some rice. I'm fit, healthy and very active. Tomorrow is my second fencing class of the week, which is a tough, gruelling few hours of forced footwork, then sparring. Very tough on the legs, full of mind/body interaction and changing course on the fly inside a split second. In fact, several actions can take place inside a second!

I seem to work well with a good carb-up in the middle of the day for the evening lesson, so as a break from sweet/potatoes, I thought I'd have a dish of rice.

If white rice is not for you, please do carry on with cauliflower rice.

Kedgeree is one of those totally fake exotic dishes. It is damn tasty, though!

So, boil, then simmer some rice with a few other ingredients: carrot cubes, maybe peas, green beans, chilli, turmeric, coriander, bouillon, that kind of thing. You want a nice savoury rice. If you're doing it with cauliflower, steam and crush your cauli, then fold it into the other ingredients in some fat in a skillet.

Serve out into a bowl.

This is my lunch, so to be eaten cold ... allow the rice to cool, or carry of if you want it hot.

Open a can of pilchards. These are cheap fish! Herrings, I believe, but Atlantic, or something like that. Canned fish like this is pretty low brow, but we have no pretentions.

Drop a few fish bodies over your rice and interspace with boiled eggs and garnished with some 'erbs.

Perfect now, or cooled for lunch tomorrow.

... can't wait!

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Stunning
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

I'm not sure how pilchards translate to the rest of the world, but as a Brit, Paleo-Bunny you'll well know Pilchards on Toast with a squeeze of lemon (to make it posh) as a frugal dish.

I really am tempted to have a fridge raid ... it does look good

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    For sure, pjgh! Oily fish such as sardines/pilchards are relatively cheap in the UK cf nutritionally inferior white fish such as cod and haddock, on grounds of apparent palatability (?).
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Pilchards are sold in service stations here, as bait

Seriously though, that looks like a great lunch. I'm more than happy to eat the bait so long as its been handled right
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Even bait can be tasty, eh Peril ... I mean ... just look at what the zoos feed to lions.

I have a serious preference for cheaper meats, cheaper cuts, cheaper fish ... the unpopular is generally unpopular because it requires more cooking, it might be stronger flavoured or just fattier. Suits me fine! As above, we have a kind of frugal tradition in the UK for canned fish on bread as a cheap meal. I usually buy fresh, but saw a can and really fancied doing something with it.

On a side note, I wonder just how good canned fish is given that it is super-heated to cook through and then canned. That super-heating surely does something quite bad to the fats. Is there a nutritionalist who can give us some insight? On the back of that, canned fish gives us a cheap real food, even if it is the poor relation.