Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do any of you do heavy squats multiple times per week?

Hybrid View

Do any of you do heavy squats multiple times per week?

So, Im switching to full-body workouts from a multi-day split routine.

I am an experienced lifter and I go hard with ATG squats and I'm usually sore for an entire week, the 2nd & 3rd day after squats are the most sore and brutal. This isn't so much an issue with the multi-day split as I only train my legs once a week. I've experimented with

Now that Im trying to do more frequent full-body workouts I've scaled back on volume dramatically but I dont know how Im going to handle doing squats (or other leg movements -lunges,deadlifts) several times per week.

Do any of you manage this?

I have tried ice baths to try to speed up recovery but they haven't really dramatically improved recovery time and soreness.

Depends on what you mean by heavy. I am following starting strenght, squatting three times a week. I did 80kg today. I don't really feel too sore in my legs, I think you get accustomed to it. I can feel it when I bike the day after, though.

I imagine it will be different once it gets even heavier.

I squat three days a week per StrongLifts 5x5. Up to 235 which is good since I pretty much started with the freakin' bar.

I do squats twice a week. One day is more intense and heavy. The other day is recovery sets at medium-high weights.

I had to stop squatting multiple times a week, mostly because I also sprint & run twice a week. Now I'm squatting and DLing once a week. I'm trying to add in front squats, just not recovering fast enough.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

I'm doing Starting Strength, or what I can of it. I do squats 3x week plus I also do body weight squats each day throughout the day. I also am doing deadlifts 3x week. The combo of the two can be pretty taxing.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I'm doing Starting Strength, or what I can of it. I do squats 3x week plus I also do body weight squats each day throughout the day. I also am doing deadlifts 3x week. The combo of the two can be pretty taxing.
    You should only be DLing every other workout on SS.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    You should only be DLing every other workout on SS.
    It's recommended to get your weights higher before adding in the power cleans. I haven't even been doing deadlifts for an entire week yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    It's recommended to get your weights higher before adding in the power cleans. I haven't even been doing deadlifts for an entire week yet.
    Aren't you supposed to do bent over rows until you incorporate the power cleans? I don't think you're ever supposed to deadlift every workout in SS. You could ask them over there. And to answer your other question, I ordered some 2" interior diameter washers from McMaster-Carr to use for microloading, they were cheaper than Fastenal.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Aren't you supposed to do bent over rows until you incorporate the power cleans? I don't think you're ever supposed to deadlift every workout in SS. You could ask them over there. And to answer your other question, I ordered some 2" interior diameter washers from McMaster-Carr to use for microloading, they were cheaper than Fastenal.
    This is what Rippetoe himself told me:

The power clean is used to help athletes convert strength to power, which is the explosive display of strength. This is explained in the book. Not everybody needs to do power cleans, especially if doing them poses a greater threat of injury that the benefits that could be obtained. You're probably in this category. Just get your deadlift up to 200 and worry about cleans then.
    Right now I'm just doing deadlifts but if it turns out they are just too much to do them every time, I will start swapping out other things. In addition to the SS stuff I add a few other things anyway in my attempt to one day be able to do a pullup. So eventually maybe I can do the version of his program that has chins and pullups.

It sucks when you are so far below the starting place that even a program called Starting Strength is too far advanced.