Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do any of you do heavy squats multiple times per week? page

Toshison is offline Member

Do any of you do heavy squats multiple times per week?

Primal Fuel
    So, Im switching to full-body workouts from a multi-day split routine.

I am an experienced lifter and I go hard with ATG squats and I'm usually sore for an entire week, the 2nd & 3rd day after squats are the most sore and brutal. This isn't so much an issue with the multi-day split as I only train my legs once a week. I've experimented with

Now that Im trying to do more frequent full-body workouts I've scaled back on volume dramatically but I dont know how Im going to handle doing squats (or other leg movements -lunges,deadlifts) several times per week.

Do any of you manage this?

I have tried ice baths to try to speed up recovery but they haven't really dramatically improved recovery time and soreness.

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    Depends on what you mean by heavy. I am following starting strenght, squatting three times a week. I did 80kg today. I don't really feel too sore in my legs, I think you get accustomed to it. I can feel it when I bike the day after, though.

I imagine it will be different once it gets even heavier.

john_solo is offline Senior Member
    I squat three days a week per StrongLifts 5x5. Up to 235 which is good since I pretty much started with the freakin' bar.

MeatSleepRepeat is offline Senior Member
    I do squats twice a week. One day is more intense and heavy. The other day is recovery sets at medium-high weights.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    I had to stop squatting multiple times a week, mostly because I also sprint & run twice a week. Now I'm squatting and DLing once a week. I'm trying to add in front squats, just not recovering fast enough.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I'm doing Starting Strength, or what I can of it. I do squats 3x week plus I also do body weight squats each day throughout the day. I also am doing deadlifts 3x week. The combo of the two can be pretty taxing.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

jakey is offline Senior Member
    when i'm fully healthy, i prefer squatting once a week and going balls out. leave nothing in the tank. that requires an entire week of recovery, easy. i'm recovering from a surgery right now, and can't really move heavy weight, so i'm squatting more frequently, and i find that it's doable as long as you scale back intensity.

basically, something's gotta give.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I'm doing Starting Strength, or what I can of it. I do squats 3x week plus I also do body weight squats each day throughout the day. I also am doing deadlifts 3x week. The combo of the two can be pretty taxing.
    You should only be DLing every other workout on SS.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

gated312 is offline Member
    What's your volume and weight like?

Based on what you said, previously you were only doing legs once a week, on a split routine. Then you switched to a full-body workout, with ATG squats, several times a week. I'm sure you're an experience lifter, but you can't necessarily expect a direct transition of strength from a split routine to a full-body instantly. Let alone, even if you significantly reduced the volume (say, from 10 down to 5 reps), that's still way more than your body is accustomed to doing.

I would suggest deload, based on whatever weight you're at. Then take the time to recover (sounds like you could use it), perfect your form, and progressively add the weight back. Get back to basics of good squatting.

Toshison is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gated312 View Post
    What's your volume and weight like?
    I spend a good amount of time warming up to make sure my knees are good to go with a couple sets of bodyweight squats, 1 set of light weight and then I do 3 real sets. Nowadays the weights are like so -> 275lbs x 10 or so reps, 315 x 8-10, then 315 x 8.

When I say I cut volume, its that previously on a split, I would do squats, lunges, kb swings, might throw in leg extensions, an added hamstring move and calf work. So, overall, plenty of sets. Now, Im really just doing one leg movement per session.. Basically just squats.

With the fullbody workouts, Im basically doing one move per major muscle group. So, like squats, standing military presses, pull ups, DB chest press. Im trying to workout 3 times per week but I rest more when needed. Im just experiencing that my legs take a lot more time than my upper body does to recovery. I haven't really done fullbody workouts since I was a teenager and Ive been doing a varierty of different split routines since then. I figured it may take some time to adjust but so far no good. Perhaps I may need to shave a set of my squats or really just train them every 4-5 days versus thinking its possible to reasonably train them every other day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast