Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: maca root & birth control.. need help! page 2

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Primal Fuel
    I just started maca root after Mark's article. I've got a number of things working against me for libido: anxiety, depression, something wrong with my gut (constipation for several months), recurrent yeast infections, low progesterone. They're all linked, I'm sure. I'm taking things for all of those issues (no SSRI's or hormonal BC for over a year now, to be clear), but it's a slow process and my libido has been pretty lackluster for the past 4 years. I've noticed a bit of an energy perk from maca root so far, but nothing else yet. I might try a full 3g dose within the next couple of days (at 2g now). I'll report my findings in the She-groks thread
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Koobs is offline Member
    I have used maca on and off for a while. I definitely notice an increase in libido while using it, but only when I was using a high dose. About 6-8 grams/day is enough to do it for me. My libido is pretty high anyway, but this stuff was taking me to new levels of horny lol. And there's also the nice side effect of being able to plaster a whole wall while you are using it. Takes a few days to kick in.

imgliniel is offline Junior Member
    Ok, so take my oppinion for what it is, oppinion, but I have been an herbal and holistic nut my entire life. I keep a cupboard full of tinctures and teas and powders and whole herbs, I make my own salves and creams, and can ussually rattle off at least two recomendations for most common problems off the top of my head. I have worked with and for certified herbalists and naturopaths.

There are several herbs for various ladies problems, including menstral issues, menopause, and even fertility. In my experience and oppinion none of them should be used while you are on a hormonal contraceptive. These herbs all work by either introducing plant estrogens or plant hormones to your system, bolstering your own supply, or by stimulating your body itself to make more or less of certain hormones depending on the herbs action. Maca not only stimulates libido, it has also been shown to increase fertility by increasing egg and folicle count in women and sperm count and mobility in men. Unfortunately, to me it is not worth the risk of screwing up your hormonal balance and production by giving your body conflicting signals and to many exterior hormonal signals and inputs. No one I have ever worked with has deemed it a good idea.

I would suggest what others have, that you try out some different birth control methods/pills. You may have a bad reaction to one and be perfectly happy on another. For example, I use the 3 month shot. My sister tried it but she had a horrible reaction, no drive at all, and gained like 20 lbs, and dried her out completely to the point where sex was painful. She switched to the low dose mini pill and no side effects at all. The weight dropped back off and everything normalized very quickly.
    Last edited by imgliniel; 11-15-2012 at 10:06 AM. Reason: can't spell this morning

ShawnaaaRae is offline Junior Member
    You used Mirena while taking Maca Root? I just ordered some Maca & I am on Mirena. Kinda curious if it's gonna cancel out the mirena or no?

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnaaaRae View Post
    You used Mirena while taking Maca Root? I just ordered some Maca & I am on Mirena. Kinda curious if it's gonna cancel out the mirena or no?
    I haven't found anything definitive, but most results I found when searching online were "it should be fine". I wouldn't take Maca personally because it messes with your thyroid. I had bad effects from it.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Stina1115 is offline Member
    My husband and I also use the Fertility Awareness + Withdrawal method, as mentioned by magicmerl and Neckhammer. My mood/temper is sooooooo much better since getting off hormonal BC, I don't think I'd ever go back!

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    Withdrawal is NOT 100%.
    It is if you actually do it.

Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    Even pre-cum has sperm that is viable.
    This bit of propaganda comes from the same people who brought you the food pyramid. If you've ejaculated recently, sperm from the urethra can be picked up by pre-cum, but if you've urinated and washed it out, there's no sperm in pre-cum. 0. Not a single one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12