Thread: Eating/Sleeping/Metabolism page

otzi Guest

Eating/Sleeping/Metabolism

Shop Now
    Taking a detour from taters...

I loved Mark's blog today about sleep.Common Factors That Prevent Good Sleep | Mark's Daily Apple

I also came across this article about sleep cycle disruption and obesity.

It's not just what you eat, but when you eat it

This explains how our metabolism is supposed to work to account for how much we eat and how our metabolism should run:

"Balancing energy levels in the body requires integrating mulČtiple signals between the central nervous system and outlying tissues, such as the liver and heart. Fat cells not only store and release energy but also communicate with the brain about the amount of stored energy via the hormone leptin. When leptin is secreted, it causes more energy to be used and less eating via pathways in the hypothalamus.

The findings point to a role for the fat cell clock molecules in organizing energy regulation and the timing of eating by communicating with the hypothalamus, which ultimately affects stored energy and body weight.

Taken together, these studies emphasize the importance of the molecular clock as an orchestrator of metabolism and reflect a cenČtral role for fat cells in the integration of food intake and energy expenditure.

"Our findings show that short-term changes have an immediate effect on the rhythms of eating," says FitzGerald. "Over time, these changes lead to an increase in body weight. The conductor is indeed influenced by the percussionist."
    However, when they destroyed the gene that controls this 'clock' in mice, they got obese without eating more.

What cured this?

The Penn team found that only a handful of genes were altered when the clock was broken in fat cells and these governed how unsaturated fatty acids, such as eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) were released into the blood stream. Interestingly, these are the same fatty acids that are typically associated with fish oils. Sure enough, levels of EPA and DHA were low in both plasma and in the hypothalamus at the time of inappropriate feeding. "To our amazement, we were able to rescue the entire phenotype - inappropriate fatty acid oscillation and gene expression in the hypothalamus, feeding pattern and obesity - by supplementing EPA and DHA to the knock-out animals," notes Paschos.
    So maybe this is a really good time to examine your diet for quality fish oils and focusing on good sleep.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I know how important good sleep quality is (this is my current mission) but it seems that really improving sleep is about as elusive as catching bigfoot.

Scientists still don't really seem to understand how to help people with chronic insomnia, which is ridiculous when you think about what a basic human need it is.

It's easy to say 'get better sleep' but almost impossible to actually do it, if you are already practicing good sleep hygiene but still have issues.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    It's easy to say 'get better sleep' but almost impossible to actually do it, if you are already practicing good sleep hygiene but still have issues.
    Ain't that the truth! I was going through spells of waking at 3am and feeling wide awake, never really getting back to sleep until just before my alarm went off at 6am. Very frustrating.

A trick I learned for when that happens is to keep your clock covered so you can't tell what time it is should you wake up in the middle of the night. It also helps by keeping artificial light off you as you sleep. Did you know your skin has light sensors that can disrupt your sleep if you sleep with a light on?

I had sleep apnea when I was a big man, that really messes with your metabolism!

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Ain't that the truth! I was going through spells of waking at 3am and feeling wide awake, never really getting back to sleep until just before my alarm went off at 6am. Very frustrating.

A trick I learned for when that happens is to keep your clock covered so you can't tell what time it is should you wake up in the middle of the night. It also helps by keeping artificial light off you as you sleep. Did you know your skin has light sensors that can disrupt your sleep if you sleep with a light on?

I had sleep apnea when I was a big man, that really messes with your metabolism!
    My husband and I have done basically every single thing that is recommended for improving sleep. Lately, though, I've been having that 3am wake up call, too, while he has sleep induction problems. And then there's the bonus Sleep-All-Night-But-Wake-Up-Feeling-Like Crap days that pop in out of nowhere.

We don't even have a clock in our bedroom anymore, nor anything plugged in or using batteries, we use candles at night instead of the blue light nightlights, we have blackout curtains, we do basically every possible sleep hygiene thing possible, and getting good sleep is still a total crapshoot.

I have noticed that after being awake all night long, I am significantly more hungry the next day, while my husband (who tends to run hot and is always having to take off socks and blankets at night) gets seriously ice cold the next day after not sleeping well. Guess it supports the crappy metabolism after not enough sleep theory!
    Last edited by BestBetter; 11-14-2012 at 01:21 PM.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I thought I was doing better, but here I sit. But I went to bed at like 8ish. and DH is out of town, and I think this may be the first time in my Adult life, I was ever totally alone. DD stays away at college certain days. DS isnt home. I have been known to call my other son to come stay but I didnt this time.

So anyways, there for awhile, I was constantly waking up hot and then had trouble going back to sleep. I still wake up hot but not as intense. Seems to be about the time I switched my macros around. And exercising more. I have sleep apnea also and usually when I put my mask on, that signals sleepy time for me.

Oh, I have also been drinking some kind of sleep time tea. And I downloaded this F.Lux for my computer screen, so it adjusts the light down in the evening, and adjusts it back up in the mornings.

I do think my weight troubles started from not sleeping well. Then I wasnt sleeping well from gaining weight, so one just compounded the other.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey