Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Home-made Mayo help page

Drlove is offline Senior Member

Home-made Mayo help

Shop Now
    Hey,

So I want to make some home-made Mayo. Though I wanted to ask 2 important things:
    1. Which oil do you suggest?
    2. How much time can I keep it in the fridge?

Thanks in advance.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I use lighter flavor olive oil. Most likely not 100% Primal, but I can't tolerate the too strong flavor of the extra virgin kind. At any rate it's a huge step up from the soybean oil mayo sold at the store.

It lasts about a week, stored in the coldest part of the fridge. But ymmv, because I follow the principle, if it doesn't stink too bad, it's ok to eat.

Kymma is offline Senior Member
    I used this method and it was amazing. I used a light olive oil. Keeps as long as your egg carton expiration date.

The Secret to Homemade Mayo? Patience. | theclothesmakethegirl

MeatSleepRepeat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    I use lighter flavor olive oil. Most likely not 100% Primal, but I can't tolerate the too strong flavor of the extra virgin kind. At any rate it's a huge step up from the soybean oil mayo sold at the store.

It lasts about a week, stored in the coldest part of the fridge. But ymmv, because I follow the principle, if it doesn't stink too bad, it's ok to eat.
    Yes, definitely do not use extra virgin olive oil. It will make your mayo taste disgusting.

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Oooh I'm so excited to try this!
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Zen11 is offline Member
    I just made my own mayo for the first time last week, and I used bacon fat. OMG, it was mighty tasty, I would highly recommend it. I also bought some avocado oil specifically for making mayo but haven't tried it yet.

Seaglassgreen is offline Senior Member
    I second the recommendation from The Clothes Make the Girl, I have made it many times now, and never had any issues

AlanC is offline Senior Member
    Coconut oil for me, as I find olive oil tastes nasty... but that might just be me?

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    I've used avocado oil, walnut oil, extra-light tasting olive oil, MCT oil, and coconut oil.

I think it depends on what you want to use it for. I didn't like the taste of olive oil mayo, even with the extra-light, so I only made it once. I did try a half-olive oil, half-coconut oil combination, which wasn't as bad. With avocado and walnut oil, it's great for making salad dressings and other flavored "sauces". For tuna salad, chicken salad, BLT-Bs (bacon, lettuce and tomato minus bread) I prefer the MCT oil mayo--MCT oil is tasteless, so it doesn't "contaminate" the other ingredients. Coconut oil works great so long as you use the whole batch at once; the coconut oil gets hard in the fridge (harder than olive oil) and then the texture isn't right.

I make a 1-egg yolk batch at a time, and it makes about a cup of mayo. Hubby and I usually eat that up in 8-10 days and it's lasted fine in the fridge.

Jer37208 is offline Member
    I use bacon fat too. you're making an emulsification, so go slow
    Here to eat and move like a caveman, not look or stink like one

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast