Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Home-made Mayo help page 4

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Maybe you could do this, but using an oven?

How To Pasteurize Raw Eggs

Place the eggs in a pot with cold water. Put the water on medium heat and stand by to watch as the temperature rises. You donít want the temperature of the water to exceed 150 degrees. If you want to be exact, you can keep a thermometer probe in the water, if not 140-150 degrees is the stage before bubbles start to form. At that temperature, you can just about keep your finger in the water for a few seconds before you burn yourself. When you reach this temperature, try to keep it. So lower the heat, and watch so the temperature doesnít rise, then keep the eggs in the water for about 3-5 minutes.

If you want to be even more careful, you can soft boil the eggs as this will work for some recipes. Some dressings for example that call for a raw egg yolk, will taste fine if you utilize a soft-boiled egg yolk, or even better sometimes. If however, youíre making chocolate mousse or parfait, then youíre better off pasteurizing the egg and not soft boiling it.
    Source: How To Make Pasteurized Eggs (Cooking With Raw Eggs) Cooking Help

dwkdnvr is offline Member
    FWIW, for those worried about pasteurizing the eggs, my wife makes mayo using egg beaters/egg substitute. You can get brands that are basically just pasteurized egg whites without extra crap. She's never had a problem making great mayo with an immersion blender this way. Probably doesn't pass the truly primal test, but she's paranoid about un/under-cooked eggs so it's a compromise we live with.

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    for those interested i've come up with the perfect ratio of egg to oil for mayo.

1 large egg equaling 50-55g

110g oil

this will produce a really thick mayo which can then be slightly diluted with lemon juice/vinegar/some other liquid of your choosing.

waterjen is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    OMG, I made my first successful batch of homemade mayo yesty, and it is DE-VINE! Now I get it. For the record, I used a stick blender and the drizzle method. I used some in deviled eggs, and I will use some in a post-holiday turkey salad. Maybe I'll even make a mayo-y cole slaw...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234