Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coffee-like energy without the coffee? page 2

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Have you heard of a nifty herb called yerba mate? I won't go into all the details here, but look into it. And you can make it in your coffee machine, so no extra equipment needed.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I actually used to brew mate in my French press before it broke. Sometimes, mate does it for me, other times not so much. For whatever reason, unsweetened bottled mate seems to work better than what I brew at home. No idea why.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    You could try crio bru. It has theobromine as the active substance.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by tarek View Post
    Yeah, I actually used to brew mate in my French press before it broke. Sometimes, mate does it for me, other times not so much. For whatever reason, unsweetened bottled mate seems to work better than what I brew at home. No idea why.
    I've never seen unsweetened bottled mate for sale. It is always LOADED with sugar when I see it. IF I see it. Mate has yet to catch on around here I guess. I am a trendsetter!

I make my mate in my drip coffee machine. I prefer it because it comes out the perfect hot, but not too hot temperature, just right for drinking. Also, it keeps the leaves and leaf dust out of my brew.

I prefer the air dried or "unsmoked" mate because it has a smoother flavor, and, IF there is any risk of cancer because of the smoke compounds on the mate, I think you've effectively removed it.

By the way, although I find that mate gives me about four or five solid hours of clean energy, I also find since starting to drink mate a few times a week (it's mate or tea for me), I have been sleeping way better. Odd, I know! Caffeinated beverage that makes me sleep better. Coffee can't lay claim to that for me!

The fact that it helps me sleep better has been a major energy boost in its own right.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    For me:
    -Herbal teas in the morning.
    -LOTS of sunlight.
    -Bananas and butter. Together.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    You could try crio bru. It has theobromine as the active substance.
    SB beat me to it. And you have not lived until you try "bulletproofed" Crio Bru. Sipping one right now with coconut cream. Frothy yumminess.

I am super sensitive to caffeine but the theobromine seems to give a more calm version of the energy of coffee. Awake but not jittery. And no post energy crash.

Y
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    SB beat me to it. And you have not lived until you try "bulletproofed" Crio Bru. Sipping one right now with coconut cream. Frothy yumminess.

I am super sensitive to caffeine but the theobromine seems to give a more calm version of the energy of coffee. Awake but not jittery. And no post energy crash.
    I find that the unique combination of caffeine, theobromine, and theophyline in mate gives it it's unique properties of a smooth buzz.

Think of it this way... Primary stimulant in coffee is caffeine. Primary stimulant in tea is theophyline. Primary stimulant in chocolate is theobromine. Yerba mate is one of the ONLY herbs known to contain all three substances together (at least in significant quantities to matter). Apparently they have some interesting relaxing and calming properties when taken in combination and I've observed that with the yerba mate so far.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    I'll stick to drinking coffee. Working on my 6th 12oz cup since waking up 3 hours ago. Feel great.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I'll stick to drinking coffee. Working on my 6th 12oz cup since waking up 3 hours ago. Feel great.
    I once had that much before. I had gas and bloating somewhat AWFUL as a result.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    I don't, but I'll usually go through 30 cups a day.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast