Thread: Probiotics and apple cider vinegar = bad gas? page

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member

Probiotics and apple cider vinegar = bad gas?

Shop Now
    I've been taking probiotics for a few days now, and started the ACV yesterday to manage heartburn, but omg....I'm having the WORST GAS! It's absolutely foul. What gives?

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Could be your intestinal flora (bacteria) adjusting. Try taking less probiotics? Your system will likely adjust. Then again, you might just have very effective intestinal flora and don't need the probiotics. Did the gas occur prior to the addition of ACV?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Could be your intestinal flora (bacteria) adjusting. Try taking less probiotics? Your system will likely adjust. Then again, you might just have very effective intestinal flora and don't need the probiotics. Did the gas occur prior to the addition of ACV?
    I seems to have started after the addition of the ACV.

mom5booklover is offline Senior Member
    Depending on the type of ACV you are using(the good murky stuff or just the clear processed stuff) it usually has Pre-biotics in it(which are what supports probiotics) so you may need to back off the supplemental probiotics a bit as they are being bombarded with natural support now. The most active kind of of ACV is the Braggs with "The Mother" which is the floaty stuff (fermented apple particles).
    F/37yr/5' 5"
    SW: 154 March 2011
    CW: 140 July to Oct 2011
    PB: 145 gained 5lbs in first 4 months March to July 2012
    With a combo of PB and IF-ing 5 days a week (1 x 1200 calorie meal per day) I have lost 15 lbs PB/IF = 130 lbs July 2012 to current
    GW: 120
    Ultimate Goals ar to be: Happy/ Fit/ Energetic/ Feel great/ Balanced/ cure my thyroid and adrenals

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like your guts are balancing out--the good bacteria are killing off the bad ones, hence the gas. One other possibility is the probiotic itself--does it contain prebiotics (inulin or something of that nature)? Inulin in particular gives me terrible gas.

I'm using the good ACV, the Braggs. So I shouldn't take a probiotic while using it?

mom5booklover is offline Senior Member
    I would stop for a week or two. The bacteria in your gut currently is getting lots of support from the prebiotics in the ACV so you may not need them with the addition of the ACV. I would back off of the probiotics then try taking them again maybe just once a week or so. You may not need them everyday with the support of the ACV.
    F/37yr/5' 5"
    SW: 154 March 2011
    CW: 140 July to Oct 2011
    PB: 145 gained 5lbs in first 4 months March to July 2012
    With a combo of PB and IF-ing 5 days a week (1 x 1200 calorie meal per day) I have lost 15 lbs PB/IF = 130 lbs July 2012 to current
    GW: 120
    Ultimate Goals ar to be: Happy/ Fit/ Energetic/ Feel great/ Balanced/ cure my thyroid and adrenals

Quote Originally Posted by mom5booklover View Post
    I would stop for a week or two. The bacteria in your gut currently is getting lots of support from the prebiotics in the ACV so you may not need them with the addition of the ACV. I would back off of the probiotics then try taking them again maybe just once a week or so. You may not need them everyday with the support of the ACV.
    Awesome, thanks!!