Thread: Muscle imbalance, some questions page

LockieKermit is offline Member

Muscle imbalance, some questions

Obviously, muscle imbalances are bad but how can you tell if your muscles are imbalanced?

Im 15

for example, I do alot of bodyweight exercises, main ones being pushups and overgrasp pull-ups. Im quite skinny muscle wise but my bicep and triceps are far more developed then my shoulders. If I stick my arm out straight, its basical my shoulder, and then 2 muscles infront of it that stick out in either direction if you know what I mean.

The difference isn't huge and people wouldn't notice side on, but is it a problem? Also, due to my knees and the fact that lower body exercises seem to destroy them, I avoid them, so my upper body is slightly more devloped, and bigger then my lower...

What are your thoughts?

Suki is offline Senior Member
    You should probably checkout Lyle McDonald's site for questions like these.

I'd say you know if your muscles are imbalanced because you know what you're doing and not doing. Try supersetting to avoid overworking / underworking one muscle group.

Also - if you're avoiding working out a particular muscle group, you should probably start off with less weight.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    What's wrong with your knees?

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    I second Suki. Are you doing isolation exercises? Because that's an uncomfortable ride to injuries and imbalances.

You get more muscle and a healthier body with compound lifts.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

LockieKermit is offline Member
    pushups, pull-ups are compound movements. Triceps, chest, front deltoids, back and bicep are hit with those 2 exercises.

And my knees, I dunno, they're just weak...Im gonna do some Grok cardio for the next few weeks and see if they get strengthened. Aswell as not eating carbs.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    My bad I didn't catch the bodyweight part. As long as it's not effecting performance or feeling then there isn't a problem. Aesthetic appearance is highly individualized so there really is no standard on how it should look...

As far as the knee weakness goes, this could either mean quadriceps weakness, and/or an imbalance with ham/quads. Just make sure if you're doing air squats, to also do lunges, single leg deadlift (bodyweight), and sprinting... it has to be a balance

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You need to target legs... just being weak isn't a good reason... in fact, it's more of a reason to target them...