Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exercise Preferences Changing page

Geoff is offline Member

Exercise Preferences Changing

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Since committing to PB, I have noticed a bunch of changes in my life. Some have been profound and remarkable. Others have been subtle but no less remarkable for it. One change, an attitude change toward exercise, has been particularly surprising to me. I've been a runner for over 25 years. I have run cross country, track, road races, and trail races from 400 m to ultramarathons. Daily running was a part of my life and became part of my identity. A year ago this week I was getting ready for a spring marathon and was all psyched up. Now, after 9 months of PB, running just doesn't hold the same attraction for me that it did for much of my youth and adult life. Since "going Primal" I find my interest is drawn toward exploring lifting heavy things, walking/hiking, and unstructured play. Occasional sprints are fun for me when I'm motivated, but my passion for distance running has left me (and when I do sprint now, it's never on a track). When I started PB I presumed that letting go of "chronic cardio" would be the toughest part for me. Funny thing is, I don't miss my running or feel unfulfilled or lost without it. In fact, now I feel more balanced and complete.

Taken together, I guess my experience would suggest that previous to PB I had an unhealthy relationship with distance running, but perhaps now after giving CW the old heave ho I'm just mentally open to trying new things and exploring the thrill of trying something new in the exercise department. It's also occurred to me that perhaps I no longer feel a need to run because I don't have such a huge excess of carbs in my diet to burn off.

Has anyone else experienced a change in their preferred exercise after going Primal? Am I just "drinking the Kool Aid" or is there something to my attitude change beyond just the thrill of trying new things?

No knocks against the Primal endurance athletes out there, by the way. In my opinion, if you love what you're doing, and you're staying healthy doing it, then have at it.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Well, I've ALWAYS hated chronic cardio, so the PB fitness philosophy is more of a validation of my preferences. I'd rather do 10 sets of burpees than run a couple of miles!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I experienced something similar but not as acute. I also liked to run, but I never got too high with mileage, my runs were always under 5 miles. I do however remembering wanting to run longer distances, especially after reading Born To Run I figured "you've got to be SUPER FIT to run this long!" and of course you've got to be fit, but after learning about cortisol and chronic cardio I definitely changed my mind and haven't gone jogging in over two months. I do want to do my old route again to see how I do now that I'm about 16lbs lighter but I doubt I'll go back to running every morning like I used to. Little did I know I was pretty much nullifying my runs by having oatmeal afterwards

periquin is offline Senior Member
    For over a decade I relied on body weight exercise, tai chi, forms for aikido, boken, and jo, and a form of isometrics. Also, used my little trampoline very often to run in place or just bounce a while. The trampoline helped because the shock wasn't so bad on my one bad knee and one worse knee. Since reading the blog and forum here I have recovered from storage my dumb bells and started working with them again. Just the motivation from reading about other member's PT.

Lolly is offline Member
    Interestingly and surprisingly, I WANT to run longer distances on PB. I finally feel like i have the energy to sustain long runs. I'm spending less time in the gym and more time out on the road. Running longer feels good now and i'm listening to what my body is telling me, not letting any other stimuli influence me more than feedback from my own body & mind(i.e. repeatedly reading that chronic cardio/distance running is bad). I also enjoy sprinting and a mixed bag of weightlifting and bodyweight exercises, but i am most definitely not turned off to distance running, in fact, i'm embracing it more than ever now.

Geoff is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
    Running longer feels good now and i'm listening to what my body is telling me, not letting any other stimuli influence me more than feedback from my own body & mind(i.e. repeatedly reading that chronic cardio/distance running is bad).
    That's a great point. Thanks. I do feel more in touch with myself now and not beholden to the "gotta run 10-K before breakfast and get 50 miles for the week" mentality. It seems that I've become more intuitive about exercise and listening more to what it is that my body feels like doing. Right now that's mostly experimenting with weights (got a cool used kettlebell today!). Perhaps I'm just re-establishing some balance to my fitness after years of being very "one-sided".

Truth be told I'm getting the urge to perhaps hit a 5-K this weekend (spring's in the air), but nowadays if I'm going to be going out for 2+ hours now I think I'd rather be hiking the trails than running them.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Fitness wise i've been taking more of a total level approach vs. a bodybuilding approach. It' just seems right.

I've added in conditioning, sprints and yoga and significantly cut down on max strength training... it was all I did before. I"m so much more well rounded.

bilgeh2o is offline Junior Member
    I ran almost daily for 43 years. Thought if i stopped, my performance in other activities like cross country skiing would suffer. Last summer it just hurt too much to run. Started walking/hiking more, swimming, mountain biking, and did more kayak paddling. Also did sprinting and hill walks with ski poles. I lost weight and found this winter that my skiing was actually better than before when running. No endurance issues and the leg cramps I used to experience were gone. I also did not ski daily but swam (inside), sprinted, walked/snoweshoed etc. for variety. Feel much better. When I do jog slowly it feels fine, but I now prefer to walk.

bblean is offline Junior Member
    Im at a crossroads with this myself. Started running on regular basis last year. Read Born to Run and got into the minimalist running stuff. Did a couple of 5k' and 10 k runs and a few low mileage trail runs and really enjoyed it.
    Read Pirimal Blueprint 3 months ago. and started doing more primal workouts. I signed up to do a half marathon in a few weeks. Initially this was to see if I could use this as a measure for training for marathon/50k in the fall. However as I increase my weekly running miles in preparation I find my long runs tedious and boring and enjoy primal workouts more. I am rethinking the whole lond distance running thing although I do enjoy expirementing with barefoot running and doing trail runs.

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    I hate running for the purpose of running. But I'll go play 3 hours of pickup basketball and have a blast. I'll be wasted afterwords but at least I'm having fun.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast