Thread: low carb sources of fiber page

captianbob Guest

I've been trying to eat more primal, but have been having real trouble getting enough fibre in my diet, while keeping below 50g of carbs.

Can anyone can recommend a low carb source of fibre? I'm trying to eat around 40 g of fibre a day.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member

Do you really need 40g fibre? Are you getting constipated?

You could try psyllium husks or flaxseeds. Make sure to drink lots of water.

BigBeck89 Guest

the RDA amount of fiber is probably to much...but coconut flakes have a fair amount

goodfriendsam Guest

It's all about your vegetables. Cabbage is going to be your heavy hitter here. Spice it up - cabbage, red cabbage, raddichio, asian style cabbages, bac choi, etc. You might be able to fit some winter squash in, that's got tons of fiber. Leafy greens - spinach, kale, collard greens, etc. Even lettuce, add as much as you can to your diet. Summer squash should be pretty good too.

Why are you trying to stay under 50g? I would eat an apple every once in a while if I were you. I used to eat under 50, but that's because I am diabetic (type 1) and eating so few carbs makes blood sugar control easier.

eyeshield9 is offline Junior Member

I personally vote for raspberries and broccoli, half a kilo of each does the trick for me.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

You don't need fiber. At all.

Besides thinking of the Inuit and the African cattle herding tribes, no one has benefited from fiber. It's a crock of, well, you know what, that has been perpetrated on us by crackpot diet experts of the 19th C., Kellogg and Graham. They thought if you ate more fiber your sexual urges would be under better control. Hmmmmm......yeah, sounds right to me.

A recent study by the Harvard School of Medicine concluded that they could find no statistical evidence that fiber has any benefits. No difference in colon cancers, etc. But fiber WILL give some people IBS and many other digestion illnesses.

What is usually called "water loss" in the first several weeks of Atkins and similar is more like "poop loss."

W/o fiber, your bowel movements will be fewer and much, much smaller. Just let nature take it's course, although some people ramp their fiber consumption downward gradually.

Nowadays, I get what I get.

Oh yeah, Google and Amazon, "The Fiber Menace."

captianbob Guest

thanks to everyone for taking the time to answer my question so fully, I've learnt a lot from reading this website and have just started reading Mark's book and it's obvious I still have a lot more to learn.

goodfriendsam Guest

on what otb was saying, i've heard that in some people, fiber does in fact slow down transit time.

still, if things aren't moving, fibrous foods are clearly useful.

Tarlach is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5274420.stm

I don't see why ripping cells apart to make more mucus is a good thing. It just sounds like a defensive mechanism to eating fiber.

I'm with OnTheBayou on this.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)