Thread: Preparing for Antibiotics AND Steroids page

Goosejuggler is offline Senior Member

Preparing for Antibiotics AND Steroids

Primal Fuel
    My BF was just diagnosed with severe tonsilitis and given a course of antibiotics and steroids. I understand there is little point in taking a probiotic during this time, but is there anything else anyone can recommend to keep him healthy during and after treament?

What should his activity/exercise level be like, the best foods to be eating, any other supplementation?

Thanks in advance!
    The Paleo Strongwoman - A site dedicated to strength, and feeding strength.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    I have been told that you CAN take a probiotic if you wish while taking a course of antibiotics, you just have to time it well. For example, if it is a one-a-day capsule then the probiotic would go down 12 hours after the antibiotic did.

Tell the BF that I hope he feels well soon. I suffered from recurring tonsil infections and felt like a pile of crap that then got run over by a train, until I eventually had a tonsillectomy at 24 because the tonsils had by then become rotten right to the core. Not fun stuff.

I would just do the usual health-building stuff: sun and fresh air, sleeeeeep, liver, fruits and veggies, bone broth, fermented foods, water, fresh herbs on the food, sea vegetables and fatty fish. And definitely tons of fermented foods after the antibiotics have ended.

Thanks for your wishes and advice. Its pretty strange, he's never had tonsilitis before.

Currently trying to persaude him that going for a three hour bike ride on saturday is a bad idea, and he shouldn't be undertaking such strenous exercise just because he feels fine atm.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I would have just used astringent teas and dandelion root, ginger, and garlic and turmeric the like. Strong teas/soup three times a day. That'll cure just about any inflammation or infection.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I would have just used astringent teas and dandelion root, ginger, and garlic and turmeric the like. Strong teas/soup three times a day. .That'll cure just about any inflammation or infection
    No, it won't.

Ditto what Crabbcakes said.
    I wouldn't go for a very expensive grade of probiotic while he is on the medication, but an easily accessible/less expensive one, plus some fermented foods and the like should help with any gut upset issues that the antibiotic are likely to cause.

After the round of antibiotics is over however I would spring for a better grade of probiotic for at least one bottle of use. My favorite is Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra. I've had excellent results with it. It's not quite as complete a formula as I would really find "ideal", but it's about as good as I can find all in one package as far as the number of strains and I've had very good results from it.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Thanks guys.

I was trusting to antibiotics on this one as we have a holiday coming up very soon and I wasn't prepared to let sickness even have a chance of ruining it.

It might be paranoia but I'm worried I have a sore throat too....I might glug some of those medicinals knifegill mentioned, just to be on the safe side, what's the worse that can happen!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    No, it won't.
    If it kept people from contracting the plague, it can kill a sore throat. You have any idea how potent garlic alone is as an antibiotic?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    If it kept people from contracting the plague, it can kill a sore throat. You have any idea how potent garlic alone is as an antibiotic?
    Tell that to all the folks who died... some 25 million or so.
    Also, research has since shown that those who were exposed and lived likely did so from the luck of the genetic lottery, not any amount of herbal potions, teas, or garlic... look up the delta-32 mutation. A good percentage of people of European descent are still getting lucky on behalf of that little selective pressure.

The tonsils are pretty important, they serve a function being lymphatic tissue which is generally used to help build immunity, Best not to let them get so infected that they need to be removed surgically.
    If the doctor prescribed antibiotics then there is Strep in there... Strep can get nasty fast.
    If I have strep inside my head, I'm taking the antibiotics... and I have allergic reactions to most of them and need to monitor for reactions.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yes. I did experiments with natural antibiotics like garlic, lemon, honey, etc on a Petri dish in a lab. It is nowhere near as effective as a man-made version.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."