Thread: More CW "proof" that fat is killing you page

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member

More CW "proof" that fat is killing you

Primal Fuel
    This is the worst "study" ever, I think. Only 20 people, just 1 sandwich eaten, and a one-time measurement of blood flow and suddenly it's definitely the fat that's impairing blood flow.
    They claim just eating one egg, ham, and cheese sandwich constricts blood flow and they imply it's all because of the fat, of course.
    They didn't even bother to speculate there may be other reasons the subjects' blood flow decreased. Perhaps a reaction to the gluten they just consumed? Or perhaps in response to elevated blood sugar from the white bread they just ate?
    No, the bread couldn't possibly be the culprit. It has to be the fat because we all know fat's bad for you.
    The Best and Worst Breakfasts for Your Health | Yahoo! Health
    Last edited by Sunnivara; 11-13-2012 at 07:36 PM.

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    so much wrong with this and it does no good to try and explain it either. we are all just nutters and conspiracy theorists. I wonder who payed for that article? betcha it has something to do with the vegetarians and their desire to destroy the truth.

Must be a conspiracy.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    It's kinda funny to read though. So wrong it hurts.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    Another bad thing is there was no comparison food. They compared it to fasting. I'd imagine your whole system operates a little differently when fasting. Did they also test blood flow after a "healthy" meal of fat-free cottage cheese and pineapple, or oatmeal and raisins? Perhaps decreased blood flow in the arms is a perfectly natural response to having more blood diverted to the digestive system, regardless of what was eaten.

Annieh is offline Senior Member

peril is offline Senior Member
    Why aren't I dead? Proven CVD (heart attack), on no medication and have either a fat-laden or no breakfast. What am I doing wrong?
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Velocity J is offline Member
    The study compared the effects of eating breakfast vs. fasting so based on the study design and findings it would seem eating gives you heart disease. I wonder why they didn't compare the high fat meal to a low fat breakfast.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    I have noticed a realtionship:

Yahoo news = piles of steaming brown stuff
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnivara View Post
    This is the worst "study" ever, I think. Only 20 people, just 1 sandwich eaten, and a one-time measurement of blood flow and suddenly it's definitely the fat that's impairing blood flow.
    They claim just eating one egg, ham, and cheese sandwich constricts blood flow and they imply it's all because of the fat, of course.
    They didn't even bother to speculate there may be other reasons the subjects' blood flow decreased. Perhaps a reaction to the gluten they just consumed? Or perhaps in response to elevated blood sugar from the white bread they just ate?
    No, the bread couldn't possibly be the culprit. It has to be the fat because we all know fat's bad for you.
    The Best and Worst Breakfasts for Your Health | Yahoo! Health
    The fundamental problem with the "study" is that it's too simple - there's only the "control" group that fasted and the Egg McMuffin group - there's no alternative "healthy" breakfast to compare the sandwich to. The article could have very easily been written to say "Eating breakfast is killing you" based on what was actually studied - but that's not the narrative they wanted to tell.

All that's really required to improve this study is the addition of other alternatives(for example, a CW "healthy" breakfast of cereal containing equivalent calories to the sandwiches, an omelet with no processed white-bread buns like the breakfast sandwich had) to construct a valid comparison. Right now this study could very easily be looking at fasting vs. not fasting, rather than anything specific about the breakfast sandwich.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Actually, I don't mind these kinds of "studies" at all. Let them eat their lowfathealthywholegrains and leave all the fatty, flavorful goodness for us, paleofolk.