Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Study Claims Human Intelligence Peaked Two To Six Millennia Ago page

Grok is offline Senior Member

Study Claims Human Intelligence Peaked Two To Six Millennia Ago

Primal Fuel
    "Professor Gerald "Jerry" Crabtree of Stanford's Crabtree Laboratory published a paper (PDF) that has appeared in twoparts in Trends in Genetics. The paper opens with a very controversial suggestion: 'I would be willing to wager that if an average citizen from Athens of 1000 BC were to appear suddenly among us, he or she would be among the brightest and most intellectually alive of our colleagues and companions.' From there, Crabtree speculates we're on the decline of human intelligence and we have been for at least a couple millennia. His argument suggests agriculture and, following from that, cities, have allowed us to break free of some environmental forces on competitive genetic mutations a la Mike Judge's theory. However, the conclusion of the paper urges humans to keep calm and carry on, as any attempt to fix this genetic trend would almost certainly be futile and disturbing."

Study Claims Human Intelligence Peaked Two To Six Millennia Ago - Slashdot

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, when they stopped letting kids get "left back" because it might hurt their boo boo egos, it all went to shit.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grok View Post
    [I]'I would be willing to wager that if an average citizen from Athens of 1000 BC were to appear suddenly among us, he or she would be among the brightest and most intellectually alive of our colleagues and companions.'
    I guess it's possible, but hardly established just by saying so. This would be during what's generally believed to be the "Dark Ages" after the collapse of Mycenaean civilization:

http://www.ambrosedigital.com/compon...id=59&vmcchk=1

I'd have thought Athens about half a millennium later would be rather more interesting. I don't know about "he or she" though -- the Ancient Greek practice of keeping women relatively speaking veiled and shut up ("respectable" ones at any rate) might have handicapped their intellectual "aliveness" somewhat ... though maybe not: I guess the women in Lysistrata give as good as they get.

CLEONICE
    And why do you summon us, dear Lysistrata? What is it all about?

LYSISTRATA
    About a big thing.

CLEONICE (wearily)
    And is it thick too?

LYSISTRATA
    Yes, very thick.

CLEONICE
    And we are not all on the spot! Imagine!
    Drama: Lysistrata

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Human Intelligence Peaked Two To Six Millennia Ago - and you can tell by some of the threads around here lately.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Just skimmed the paper. That's not a "study." That's what we call a "think piece" in my field, basically it's interesting speculation by someone with some knowledge on the subject. No research was performed.
    The difference is huge, because nobody is ever going to know the answer to the "peak" of human intelligence. Brain cavity size, gene activation, none of the things you could possibly use as measurements really say much about actual intelligence.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    Human Intelligence Peaked Two To Six Millennia Ago - and you can tell by some of the threads around here lately.
    Heheheheheh...........................

Swarley is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Yeah, when they stopped letting kids get "left back" because it might hurt their boo boo egos, it all went to shit.
    Truth. When my wife was a full time teacher they weren't allowed to give kids an "F" anymore. Complete and utter bullshit. If the kid had every opportunity to perform well, but failed because they didn't pay attention in class or do the homework, guess what? they failed.
    The greater the achievement the more difficult the path. The easy road is granted to those less fortunate as a consolation prize.

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    No, that's caused by The Department of Education.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    The only way that is even relevant is if those children go on to have more offspring than they would have.

I'm not sure that's the case...

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I don't know the stats on the number of offspring. However, I have to believe that when "everybody passes," it knocks the wind out of little developing, naturally competitive, high achieving kids. What's the point of working your ass off if everyone gets the same reward?

Imagine a world where everyone who took the CPA exam, Bar exam, Medical boards, etc., got to work in those professions regardless of ability, just because they tried "real hard," but just didn't get the grades. As it is, in my lifetime, they've dumbed down the SATs so much that if I want to be one of those senior citizen grad students, they automatically add 200 points to my scores because of those changes.

I don't know current numbers, but when I lived in CA, I learned that for every dollar spent on "exceptional" children in education, 98cents was spent on below average learning abled and 2cents was spent on above average. I'm not heartless, and I believe in public education, but damn, that's a huge disparity.

Large segments of our culture glorify the good old boy mentality while sneering at "those over-educated snobs."

I don't know when intelligence peaked. But I think the respect for intelligence went in the toilet about 25 years ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast