Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Non-Recipe Recipe Thread page 8

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    since you have just got some NZ beef Joanie how about steak and mushrooms with blue cheese sauce. fry up the steak medium rare. you can do it with pieces of steak too. even add in some chopped kidneys. when the meat is almost cooked to how you like it, add in a bit more butter and some sliced mushrooms. when the mushrooms are cooked, crumble in some blue cheese and add some cultured cream. melt to make sauce, add a bit of salt and pepper, and you will have steak, mushrooms and blue cheese sauce all in the fry pan ready to eat. i have done the same sort of thing with chicken breasts and mushrooms and brie and cultured cream. i think from memory i put in some garlic poss and def some wild thyme with the chicken.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Your mention of mushrooms, Seaweed, reminded me of this non-recipe. I learned it from my Mom, who cooked primal before there was a name for it.

These mushrooms are great on steak and burgers! My youngest daughter will cook up a batch and just eat them out of the pan!

A bunch of sliced mushrooms
    Garlic
    Lard or butter for sautéing
    Coconut aminos (Mom used soy sauce, I don't think she'd ever heard of coconut aminos) (or you can use tamari)
    Worchestershire sauce
    White wine
    Salt and pepper to taste

Sauté the garlic and mushrooms together for a couple minutes. Add a few gloops of coconut aminos and white wine, and one gloop of Worchestershire sauce. Add enough of the liquids so its kind of soupy. If you're not sure you have enough liquid, add more white wine.

Simmer until the liquids are almost reduced and the juice that's left is thick.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    At the supermarket today, I eyed the "Mediterranean Bar", which I usually avoid because I hate hate hate olives. However, I saw they had roasted garlic cloves in olive oil, so I put a good cup or so of those in a container... along with two artichoke hearts in olive oil and herbs... and a few pieces of roasted red peppers (also in olive oil, of course!).

I put it all in a blender with some of my own garlic-infused olive oil, salt, and pepper. Now I have a nice dip that I can't wait to have with some veggies... or by the spoonful...!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I like to take dried dates, stuff them with a cube of cold kerrygold butter and eat them for dessert - I swear they taste just like chocolate chip cookie dough!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Sea, the first thing I made was to cook the steak London Broil style, then sliced it against the grain, and covered it with a mushroom/butter/lemon sauce. It was as good as I remembered from when my father used to cook it that way, and I didn't even set my broiler on fire (he did that often).

Blue cheese sounds awesome, and I'll pick some up next time I go shopping.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i set my smoke alarms off all the time when i cook steak LOL and i like it rare!! i keep forgetting the blue cheese when i go shopping but the principle of cook the meat, add some veges, melt in some cheese and sauce it with cultured cream and the juices works quite well. the other thing i do is steam veges with broth which reduces the broth nicely. then when you remove the meat to rest, deglaze the pan with some wine and add in the broth from the veges and reduce to gravy or thicken with some tapioca.

This looks like a recipe, but it's just something I threw together from what was in the house. As always, use grass fed and organic as much as possible. I've named it Ooey Gooey Sorta Mexican Meat Loaf.

1 lb ground beef seasoned with garlic powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, and turmeric to taste
    1 tblsp tapioca flour (almost any primal flour will do here)
    2 eggs
    chopped tomatoes
    pickled jalapenos
    7-8 oz sliced cheddar cheese

Mix together seasoned ground beef, tapioca flour, and two eggs.

In a loaf pan layer in the following manner from bottom to top:

Some of the juice from the tomatoes
    ½ the meat mixture
    some tomatoes
    some jalapenos
    enough cheddar to cover everything
    ½ the meat mixture
    some tomatoes
    some jalapenos
    more tomatoes
    more jalapenos

Bake at 375 degrees F for 75-90 minutes or until top layer of cheddar begins to brown, and a test of the most inner ground beef isn’t red/pink. (Unless you like pink beef, in which case go for about an hour to 75 min.)

Remove from oven and let set up for 15-30 minutes. Slice like a meatloaf and eat. Yum.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

RenegadeRN is offline Member
    Oh I like the beef mushroom idea! Kinda like a noodle-less beef stroganoff. Sold!

Edited to add, this was supposed to go after the post about the beef patty in mushroom with sour cream. Duh.
    On breaking out of the healthcare box..."Box? What box? Take cover, it's gonna get ugly... "

This morning I put some five spice in my coffee. Stove top espresso maker. Put coffee grounds in first, then a smidge (less than a quarter teaspoon) of five spice, then coffee grounds on top of that.

It was very good, but a bit too much for first thing in the morning. However, I did it again at 3pm, and it was the absolute perfect different take on that afternoon cuppa espresso.

B*tch-lite

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Tonight I threw together the following in a pot over medium-high heat...

- leftover rotisserie chicken, cut up
    - 1/2 can of coconut milk
    - about 1.5 cups chicken broth
    - 2 cups baby spinach
    - about 1 tbsp fresh ginger, crushed
    - about 2 tbsp madras curry powder
    - about 2 tsp each of dried cilantro, garlic powder, and paprika
    - about 1 tsp each of cumin and tumeric
    - a couple of dashes of salt
    - about 2 tbsp each of olive oil and minced garlic

I put the olive oil and minced garlic in the pan first until the garlic was fragrant. I added everything else, stirred, brought it to a simmer for about 5 minutes, then served. It was just the right amount of spicy and tingly from the ginger and curry, but the coconut milk and spinach gave it a nice, cool aftertaste. Yum!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast