Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Non-Recipe Recipe Thread page 4

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Made a weird one.

Two leftover egg whites from my sweet potato fries (I use the yolk as a coating) whipped up like a meringue, then added two mashed bananas, two or three teaspoons of cocoa powder and a tablespoons of almond butter with a bit of squeezed orange juice for taste. Mixed it all up, slammed it in the freezer for a few hours and voila, a weird Paleo ice cream concoction thingy.
    Was nice with strawberries.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    In another thread, someone mentioned curried liver with eggs. Tonight I did it with a bit of potatoes. Chicken livers (about a pound), onions, potatoes (about four ounces), some almond milk, lots of curry powder (it was hot), and a packet of truvia. Yum city.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Last night dredged (lightly) some oysters in tapioca flour. Put them on a bacon greased baking pan (a cookie sheet or bottom of two-part broiler pan would work). Topped each one with a tiny piece of each: butter, provolone cheese, jalapeno. Put under low broiler setting far enough away that they wouldn't char. 10 minutes. Let cool just enough that you can get a spatula under them and the cheese doesn't stay in the pan. Omg, that came out far better than I thought it would.

I think parmesan would work on this also and give it a crunchier rather than meltier feel. Also, I'm not sure the tapioca flour really added anything and next time I'm going to try it without. Oh, and you want to drain and pat dry the oysters before dredging.
    Oooh. Thanks for the inspiration. I think dredging them directly in the parmesan might work. I'm going to give that a try.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    I'm wracking my brains for some means of "flouring" things ... tapioca flour is something I have in, in bags, but it doesn't cook well without going slimy and ... for me ... unappealing.

Baking flour things is something I've not considered. Thanks for the idea.

curlygirl is offline Senior Member
    I adore almonds, pecans, raisins and unsweetened coconut flakes in a bowl of almond milk! Tastes like sweet granola cereal to me. LOVIN' this thread too
    My blog: Paleo Musings
    Tweeting all things primal: Twitter
    FaceBook: PaleoMusings

We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

cheekymonster is offline Junior Member
    Shred some cheese in a frying pan. Let it melt and move it so it thins. Dump some almonds on top. As the cheese cools it becomes hard and crispy. Cheddar works really well for a nice cheesy crunchy snack.

curlygirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cheekymonster View Post
    Shred some cheese in a frying pan. Let it melt and move it so it thins. Dump some almonds on top. As the cheese cools it becomes hard and crispy. Cheddar works really well for a nice cheesy crunchy snack.
    Oh I wish I did dairy - your killing me! Sounds great!
    My blog: Paleo Musings
    Tweeting all things primal: Twitter
    FaceBook: PaleoMusings

We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

Tee
    Tee is offline Senior Member
    I really dig this way of making chile. Not mine but I make it all the time. Has cocoa too. I usually shake it up a bit each time with some hot peppers, shooms, different protein choices and more cocoa.

My Favorite Chili Recipe | theclothesmakethegirl

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pjgh View Post
    I'm wracking my brains for some means of "flouring" things ... tapioca flour is something I have in, in bags, but it doesn't cook well without going slimy and ... for me ... unappealing.

Baking flour things is something I've not considered. Thanks for the idea.
    Coconut flour works.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Tapioca does work for me, but you have to get the oil pretty hot, and so far I've only "fried" squid. Bacon fat has worked the best so far, but I'm going to try new flours until I find the best for that one dish.

If you would have told me that the thing I'd go batshit trying to duplicate primal-ly would be fried squid, I'd have thought you were nuts. But there you have it. I'm good just cooking pizza toppings in a pan, then melting the cheese. I've even turned lox and bagels into a (fanfreakintastic) lox and goat cheese "sushi," and don't miss the bagel.

But really good fried squid eludes me.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast