Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal diet for a teenager??? page

LockieKermit is offline Member

Primal diet for a teenager???

Hello all, Im from Australia (not that it really matters) and im almost 16.

I have read alot of the site and can follow most of it

The only thing Im stuck on is nutrition. The website tells me to eat organic vegetables, fruits and meat but I simply cant. I live in a suburban area, the local supermarkets dont have organic food and farms are hours of driving away.

Does it really make a difference if I cant eat uber organic? that being said, I trust my country and it's quality of food and we also only have a have a population of 22 million.

I cant eat grains, so what do I eat instead? I was thinking for breakfast, plain low fat yoghurt with mixed raw nuts and frozen berries for some days and others I could have fried/boiled eggs with nuts? with maybe some more berries?

For school lunches, I can yet again have more mixed raw nuts with some fruit, but what can I have for my main lunch, which was usualy a sandwhich in whole wheat bread?

On the whole, I dont have a car, go to school, have barley any money, It's almost impossible for me to follow a strict Caveman diet

Also, I love fruit, but heard it's not so good for the massive sugar content? I would usualy put an apple, or mandarin or some sort of other fruit into my lunch box, I cant now?

Sorry if I may sound a bit ignorant...

I'm also in my teens, and whilst I do eat organic wherever possible (are there any local farmers markets in the area?) it isnt always the case.
    You dont have to eat purely organic fruit and vegetables, it's just the best option if it's feasable to do so, so just go with the best that you can would be my advice. Furthermore, and again I dont know if this is an option for you, but often online there are companies that will deliver fruit and vegetables and they're often organic. Some can be pricey but it's certainly worth looking into if you really want to do this.
    I used to eat way way way too much fruit, but vegetables such as carrots and peppers and that kind of thing make a good substitute (easy to transport) and if you can get a hold of a good variety then you can make some really good salads. Now I just have fruit very occasionally and find that I actually enjoy it more because i'm not mainlining it by the bowlful.
    Your breakfast ideas sound good, and regarding your sandwich problem bread can be substituted for sweet potatoes and yams if you need the carbs, or providing you include a decent amount of fat and protein then a salad is great. Check out some of the recipes on this site, or search 'paleo recipe ideas' in google and i'm sure you'll find something to suit your tastes.
    Overall you couldnt be further from the truth when saying that you cant follow the caveman diet; i'm in exactly the same situation as you: I dont drive, i'm a student and find that I spend less money than ever on food. You can do it!

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    Im a teenager too. Dont get hung up about organic, its not gonna make or break your success. You are still eating a diet many times better than most of the population.

Don't go overboard with sweet potatoes they are similar to potatos. For bread I like the primal recipis which use coconut flour or almond flour. (basicaly mixed with eggs and fried into pancakes or baked) there are loads of suggestions if you just search on here for bread alternatives.

And with regards to you "can't eat more fruit" again don't get too hung up. You have removed the real bad carbs thats most of the work. Eat fruit and enjoy it when you genuinely want it. Unless you are trying to lose masive amounts of weight (which taking out grains will do anyway) fruit is ok.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    I would focus most of your diet on meat. Have meat at each meal, and just use vegetables as accompaniment. You can have the odd peice of fruit and perhaps a small handful of nuts, but don't base your diet around them. And don't even think about including low fat anything in your eating plan. There's nothing wrong with fat in the diet, and many low fat foods are filled out with carbs or water. They are also less satisfying so you eat more anyway. You are young so you need to eat plenty to get the energy you need at this stage in life.

If you can't get organic don't worry about. Focus on eating food that is unprocessed as much as possible.

LockieKermit is offline Member
    ok, well my family likes to get the low fat stuff so screw it.
    Breakfast = eggs..mmmm eggs with nuts or something along those lines
    alternitive breakfast = yoghurt, berries, nuts.

Fruit and/or nuts for recess. (or some cut up carrots, celery)
    Main lunch can be canned tuna, maybe some almonds...

Dinner we will almost always have meat so thats no problem.

I also take fishoil everyday just for general health, whats your view on a multi-vitamin pill?

Thanks guys, answers were detailed and they helped me...cheers

dfast is offline Member
    Cook your eggs in butter or ghee or coconut oil (and lots of it). Instead of canned tuna, try fattier fish like mackerel or red salmon - the more fat the better. I wouldn't be scared of using cheese to get a decent amount of fat either. Cheese and cream! Yum yum yum. If it doesn't cause you any problems then any high fat dairy would be a good choice.

I don't take a multi-vit but some people do; I wouldn't say it's essential. Good luck!

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Watch the nuts. Not sure what your goals are (gaining or losing) but nuts can become problematic.

Also, if you're going to eat yogurt - make sure it's full fat, plain and preferably Greek.

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    @Suki, whats the deal with greek ive heard it better but dont know why?!

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Generally more protein and less sugar. Also - much creamier and much better tasting.

TheNomad is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm 17, and I'm doing very well on a primal/Paleo diet. I eat about 2 pounds of meat a day, made with lots of animal fat (ghee and lard). The meat is always hormone free and of good quality, sometimes grass-fed, sometimes not. I don't care too much about that at the moment, I just take two fish oil capsules a day to balance my omega ratios.
    For the rest, I eat veggies from local farmers, lots of eggs (usually 12 a day!) and some nuts (almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts...). My parents are quite tolerant, if they prepare something with rice, they just prepare the dish without rice for me. And I cook a lot by myself.
    It's not that complicated, just watch for good offers and get to know the best and most reliable food sources in your area. Once you've built up kind of a "food-network", it's really easy to maintain a primal style of eating.

Greetings!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast