Thread: My cholesterol panel 5 months after starting PB page

PHaselow is offline Senior Member

My cholesterol panel 5 months after starting PB

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    CAN TRIGLYCERIDES BE TOO LOW??

OK, so I will admit I have not made the prettiest transition to the Primal/Paleo lifestyle, but basically I have greatly increased my protein and fat intake while nearly eliminated all grains (sugar is the nemesis) since the end of June 2012. Prior to that, my protein and fat intake was pretty low.

I had a fasting blood glucose test today due to some low BP issues (80/45! with symptoms) to rule out hypoglycemia. I had them also do a simple cholesterol panel out of curiosity. I am a 47 year old female. This is what I got:

Total Cholesterol: 187
    LDL: 90
    HDL: 87
    Trigylcerides: 39

13 hr. Fasting glucose: 82

What makes it interesting to me is the comparison to my old self. I've never had a total C over 150. Typically, I run between 115-130. Last tested was 150 about 2 years ago. My non-fasting glucose has always been lower than what I had today for fasting. Weird. No help there with my low BP woes.

My ratios are all good, but my LDL climbed by over 20% and my HDL rose 10% also. Triglycerides remained the same. I know I am operating on inaccurate CW, but I've never had my LDLs higher than my HDLs and I don't like it! The last time I had this tested, my LDLs were so low they were flagged on the results (just a few points under the reference range). I'm happy with the HDLs, that's for sure.

I have cut back on fat and protein in the last week because I've been a glutton. I'd like to see these numbers stay where they are, since I've had chronic depression and I'm thinking my cholesterol (low) might play a role.

Any thoughts? Comments? Warnings or adulations?
    Last edited by PHaselow; 11-13-2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: had another question.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    Any thoughts? Comments? Warnings or adulations?
    Looks great.

Total Cholesterol is inversely correlated with mortality in women.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

peril is offline Senior Member
    Increase in both HDL & LDL with such low trigs can only be good for you. Your brain thrives on fat, don't starve it
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

MeatSleepRepeat is offline Senior Member
    Mine looked pretty similar after a few months of primal eating. Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Increase in both HDL & LDL with such low trigs can only be good for you. Your brain thrives on fat, don't starve it
    I edited my post to question if trigs can be too low? I do not have celiac disease (tested) but I actually question the function of my thyroid. Trigs have always been low, though.

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

hostetlgaret is offline Junior Member
    Your brain thrives on fat, don't starve it

Quote Originally Posted by hostetlgaret View Post
    Your brain thrives on fat, don't starve it
    I need to pass that wisdom on to my father-in-law. He had his first heart attack in about 1990. Since then, he has been on a nearly no-fat diet and statins. For some reason, after he needed a quadruple bypass 10 years later despite being on the drugs and diet (religiously)... he continues to adhere like a pro to what the doctor's say.

His cognitive abilities have declined like crazy in the past 5 years. I know it is due to the lack of fat and the use of statins for 20 years. He does not see it. He will never see it.

It is a lesson I desperately want my husband to learn. He started taking a statin 2 years ago after his LDLs came back at 110. Despite having a total cholesterol around 160, trigs at 40 and HDL just a bit low (still in reference range), the MDs now treat want LDLs under 100 if you have a strong family history of heart disease. So he takes the statin. And can you guess what happened? HDLs also fell.

He is eating more fat now. He almost stops his anxiety attacks now when I tell him his food contains coconut milk.

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

Update:I enrolled with my HMO for an on-line chart and finally took a look at the labs I've had over the past 8 years. I don't remember having a cholesterol panel run in 10/2011 but it is in my chart. I now have an great way to compare pre and post Primal eating as it pertains to cholesterol. I have a family history (dad) with elevated cholesterol but unsure about the rest of the values. I should ask him. He is on a statin. My sister also has elevated cholesterol but manages it with diet. Again, not sure if it is more than just a total cholesterol. My mom and I have been blessed with good numbers... apparently regardless of how we eat.

PrePrimal (10/2011)

Total C: 180
    Triglycerides: 53
    HDL: 76
    LDL: 93
    Chol/HDL ratio is 2.4 with anything <5.1 'within range'

5 months Primal (11/2012)

Total Cholesterol: 185
    Triglycerides: 39
    HDL: 87
    LDL: 90
    Chol/HDL ratio 2.1

I can add that I've been eating a TON of coconut oil and coconut in general. I cook with it, I eat it by the spoonful, I ingest it daily for the past 6 months. I've been eating cuts of fatty meat (rib eye, lamb chops, chorizo, bacon) about 4 times/week. I've been eating maybe 1lb raw nuts a week on top of that since 2011. Too much, I know. I use a pint of heavy whipping cream each week and go through 1lb of butter a week with cooking for my family. I do not shy away from cholesterol or fat!

Whether or not this is just my body or a testimony to how eating fat can actually be heart healthy I don't know. What do you think? I'm leaning toward all of the coconut oil/butter/meat.

I am fatter, but healthier.

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Cholesterol is actually darned useful - you can't live without it.

The Benefits of High Cholesterol - Weston A Price Foundation -- this is one chapter of this: The Cholesterol Myths

Uffe Ravnskov, MD has long been a skeptic of the "cholesterol causes heart disease" theory. His material is easily readable by those without a lot of biochemistry. Of course, if you do have a fair amount of biochem, there's Peter (Hyperlipid) and Stan (Heretic) and Richard Feinman (Richard David Feinman).