Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Shovelglove 101: An Illustrated Guide page 2

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Wow that's really great, Timothy. You've inspired me to get pick up a sledge hammer. I'm pretty sure that the one out in my garage is broken. If the word get's out enough they'll be selling a deluxe version at sporting goods stores instead of the hardware store.

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Thanks very much, everyone! I really hoped you'd enjoy the guide so I'm stoked to see the interest.

IniQuity, thank you very much, you made my day! =D All my life I wished I could be ripped... I tried the CW ways and at 33 I had long abandoned the concept. But after Primal Blueprint and shovelglove, it's only been three months since I was tubby and weak. It's weird because I still don't recognize my new body; I even feel like I'm going to wake up one morning and be back to "normal". (What a nightmare!) This is one of the reasons I was so eager to share shovelglove with everyone here, because I know there are plenty of guys out there much taller and bigger than me who are poised for even more amazing results. I'm really curious to see what shovelglove does for the others who take it up.

I'm convinced from my wife's experience that it's equally good for women -- her upper arms are getting defined and her abs look more cut than I've ever seen them. Not bad considering we've been married seven years and she gave birth six months ago.

RavunJM, congrats on getting a hammer! These days I aim to do shovelglove every day for about 15 minutes in the morning. When I started it was more like every other day or every two days; it took me a while to work up to daily. Rarely, if I'm really pumped, I'll extend my session to 20-30 minutes, or do 15 minutes at night before dinner. Like I mentioned in the article, I always take a break if my muscles feel noticeably sore, especially in my back or at the connections to the bone. It's easy to have so much fun that you don't realize you're overdoing it, and I'm very paranoid about injuring myself. I would be super bummed if I had to put away the hammer for more than a couple of days. So I do it about 5-6 days a week.

IniQuity, I think shovelglove can definitely be combined with regular weightlifting. Since you're already doing heavy lifts, I would focus on just the stretches. If you stick to the warm-up motions and similar exercises, I expect you'd improve your recovery and tone. For your existing hammer, like LTC says, check the underside to see if they've printed the weight. Alternately, try my Hail Reinhard motion and see if you can do at least six of them without too much strain. If so, it's probably close enough.

Have fun, everybody! If you choose the way of the shovelglove, I hope you'll let me know how you like it.

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    Great guide. I have been looking into new exercises to put into my workout routine and this makes perfect sense. Thanks.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Phew, the hammer is pretty heavy, feels like 25lbs (comparing to my 20lb dumbbells) I managed 6 reps of Hail Reinhards with my right hand but couldn't do it as well with my left hand. I'm right handed and was only able to do about 3 wobbly reps with my left. Honestly it's making me a little angry, I should theoretically be able to do the weight but I think my grip isn't as good and it's also not a stable object. I'm going to purchase a smaller sledgehammer to start, also the one I have at home doesn't have a very long handle which makes getting a hold of it more difficult.

Regarding the Hail Reinhard motion, is it supposed to be one swift movement? or a curl, stop then press overhead? I was doing it with a small stop between bicep curl and press.

Lastly, Tim, it's precisely because we started the PB around the same time that I'm so amazed with your results, you started about 2 maybe 3 weeks before me (last week of january/first week of february 2010 for me) but also it seems like you had a lot more fat to lose based on your before pics. I've only lost 16lbs so far (172-156lbs) but my lifts have been getting a little heavier so I don't really worry about the scale too much. I think you've been more active with IFs, cutting dairy and maybe sprinting more than I have. That's one major component of the PB I have been neglecting: sprinting. When I started I dutifully sprinted at least 2x a week, but then I started lifting earlier in the day and didn't have enough time to sprint. Also, I o to class right after the gym so sometimes the idea of being sweaty wasn't as appealing. I need to get back to sprinting, I experienced most of my fat loss when I was doing sprints. I haven't done it in maybe three weeks straight

Will update on my shovelgloving once I get a sledgehammer!

IniQuity, it does sound like that hammer's too heavy. I know what you mean about being frustrated. We think we're strong because we can do big bicep curls and stuff, but there are all these little stabilizing muscles that we almost never use in daily life or in narrowly-targeted weight lifting. When it comes to holding what seems like a small weight at the end of a stick, you can really feel the inadequacy of these tiny muscles. These are the muscles people tend to strain or tweak when they start shovelglove. Fortunately, on a primal diet, it doesn't take long to build them up and you'll soon be surprised at your much stronger and more stable grip.

With the Hail Reinhard, and with all the warm-ups, I try to use smooth and nonstop motions, letting the hammer swing back like a pendulum on the downstroke and then swing back forward into the bicep curl. In most weightlifting they tell you to fight the momentum of the weight and bring it to a dead stop each time, but with shovelglove you want to let the weight pull you around a bit.

It's hard to know where most of my progress is coming from. The IFs are definitely essential. Three days out of the week, I fast for about 12 hours after my morning shovelglove. That flies in the face of CW -- you're supposed to scarf protein right after weights to aid the muscle growth -- but I think IF brings unique hormonal and fat-burning benefits that are even better than just adding bulk in the short term. My goal is to get lean, cut and agile more than just massively strong. I ditched dairy when I discovered almond milk, with the exception that I fry almost everything in butter. As for sprinting, I do a little bit of that on my morning and noontime runs. I agree that fitting it into your schedule is the hard part. Once you're actually out in the sunshine and jogging down a tree-lined street, sprinting comes quite naturally! It's also possible to "sprint" with shovelglove, which I plan to get into when I write the installment on adding explosive motions. And definitely don't sweat the scale. If you're about my height, when you get to the 150s, the scale loses most of its relevance. I think you're right to track your lifting capacity and energy levels instead.

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member
    Okay, take this as a compliment from a homo-paleo... After looking at your hot body, I went out and bought a sledgehammer... I'm gonna give this shit a try!
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 222lbs / 25.2%BF | New Goal: 20% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

LOL, Hallowprince, I treasure that remark! My wife is also very happy with my progress, and man, she deserves it -- she married me when I was fat and broke despite being a total hottie herself.

Hope you pick out a nice sledgehammer. Douze is my best inanimate buddy and I would take him with me around town, but nobody understands the special bond between a man and his hammer. This is just the first part of the guide so it's a great time to get started. We are going to have some fun!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Haha @ thehallowprince, is it safe then to say that upon seeing Timothy's hot bod you... hammered one out?

I'll be here all week folks, try the grass-fed veal.

Tim, thanks yeah it was seriously nuts not to be able to lift it. I'll try swinging it but I'll get a lighter hammer first. I wrote you a PM but I'm not sure it sent...

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Very nice guide, thank you! I have a large sledgehammer in my garage, maybe it's time to bring it out for the days I cannot train my StrongLift 5 x 5.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    @iniQuity... I did just hammer one out... but not in the way you're thinking of... but hahaha.

Anyways, I just finished doing this workout and it really feels amazing. I can feel my muscles. It didn't take very long at all and I only hit my ceiling once, lol. But yes, I highly recomend this workout and plan on doing it on Wednesday and Friday as well.

Off for a shower to hammer one out...*wink* and shower up!
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 222lbs / 25.2%BF | New Goal: 20% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast