Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Shovelglove 101: An Illustrated Guide page 10

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I have to say Timothy, I did your 'Paul Bunyans' yesterday during shovelglove and my whole torso is sore today. I woke up pondering why my whole mid-section was on fire, then I remembered - Shovelglove! Great movement for all things abs.
    I grok, therefore I am.

couchie is offline Member
    Hi Timothy,

I bought my first sledgehammer today, can't wait to get started, it looks
    very interesting. Now my question is, do I start with 101 and keep doing
    these exercise's until I am comfortable with them before moving on to
    the next level. I am female with 20kg to lose, so hoping these work well
    for me.

Cheers
    couchie

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Primalclubber, I remain very intrigued by your expertise in blunt weaponry. Your mace sounds completely off the hook. Needless to say, I would love to get my hands on something like that. Do you have a source you would recommend? And how did you get into this field, anyway? I've got a lot of catching up to do for the next part of the guide...

Misterbulgarin, glad to hear it went well! It really doesn't take much time or effort to get a severe workout this way. Using your imagination is the key to making the experience as fun and exciting as possible.

DNF, excellent to hear you had fun and managed to avoid attracting the attention of the fuzz... for now! Extra weight sounds like a good idea, but I wonder if it wouldn't impair the balance of the hammer. If it does... maybe that's an even better workout.

Kungfumike, welcome! If you like P90x, I think you'll love your new hammer. I hope you'll write back and let us know what you think from your weight-training perspective.

LTC, I know what you mean. Those Paul Bunyans are brutal on the grip and the core. If your whole mid-section is on fire, but you can still move... then you're doing it right! It won't take you long to see serious muscle development at that rate.

Couchie, I'm so glad you're giving it a try! I would definitely recommend to you, and to everyone, to master Shovelglove 101 before moving on. In all honesty, the warm-up moves are plenty for a full workout. 102 and 103 are just gravy for those who want newer, steeper, more exotic challenges. Shovelglove will definitely help you burn fat, but don't be surprised if you gain some healthy lean mass at the same time.

Shug on, brothers and sisters!
    Last edited by Timothy; 04-27-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member
    I recently bought a 16lb sledgehammer, to beat tractor tires with, that sucker's HEAVY. And this is coming from a guy who's squatted and deadlifted 600+lbs, regularly, for years.

These hammers are no joke.

Ever play around with a macebell, Tim? They have a long handle (~7kg) with a cannonball at the end (~25kg). They make a sledgehammer feel like a lollipop.
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

DidNothingFatal is offline Senior Member
    The weights strapped to hammr will be tried in the coming weeks, I've had a good ache all day, which really didn't help this evening when I was lugging stuff around my vegetable garden
    Give them nothing! But, take from them everything!

primalclubber is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Primalclubber, I remain very intrigued by your expertise in blunt weaponry. Your mace sounds completely off the hook. Needless to say, I would love to get my hands on something like that. Do you have a source you would recommend? And how did you get into this field, anyway? I've got a lot of catching up to do for the next part of the guide...
    Mark blogged about this in an article called The Savagely Effective Mace and gave away a loadable mace from Stronger Grip. They sell a loadable sledge also. The mace is probably my favorite implement among the clubs and kettlebells in my arsenal. Check it out.

I come from many years of "traditional" weightlifting background, but after a few years restlessly looking for a change (EDT, HIT etc), discovered kettlebells 2 years ago and haven't looked back. I have a cheap yearly maintenance fee at my gym so I keep it so I can go in every couple of months and do some strength tests such as deadlifting, or change of pace lifts such as cleans and push presses.
    Last edited by primalclubber; 04-28-2010 at 07:23 AM.

PhilR is offline Member
    Cool me likes mace.

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Oh my goodness, primalclubber... I am drooling over those maces. That's a whole world of goodness right there! I hope to be able to afford one someday soon. The short one is calling my name very strongly. After a lot of heavy two-handed work, I'd love to try some fast one-handed slapping.

Thank you hugely for the links. How could I have missed that blog post of Mark's. I think I have a new long-term goal of a well-stocked blunt weapon arsenal.

Kev
    Kev is offline Senior Member
    Timothy,

I did my first shovelglove workout last night, shovelglove 101 and boy do it feel it today, Thanks for all the information. I am really looking forward to my next workout.

primalclubber is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Oh my goodness, primalclubber... I am drooling over those maces. That's a whole world of goodness right there! I hope to be able to afford one someday soon. The short one is calling my name very strongly. After a lot of heavy two-handed work, I'd love to try some fast one-handed slapping.

Thank you hugely for the links. How could I have missed that blog post of Mark's. I think I have a new long-term goal of a well-stocked blunt weapon arsenal.
    Coming from your sledgehammer work, I think when you start looking at maces and clubs from a historical context you'll definitely be addicted. Indian Gada (mace) and Iranian Meel (clubs) in some form or other, have been a training staple of grapplers and fighters for hundreds of years at the very least, and there are lots of vids on youtube of these implements in use. Not surprisingly, modern forms of these implements, along with kettlebells, found their way in the training regimens of many MMA fighters. I also like the technical or skill component to using these implements, which makes it much more interesting than simply lifting a weight and pushing or pulling it back and forth.

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast