Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macro Breakdown and Weight Loss Plan Question page

Supawood26 is offline Junior Member

Macro Breakdown and Weight Loss Plan Question

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys - I've thoroughly enjoyed the Primal Blueprint and have had some success establishing many of the changes described in the book. I'm ready to take it to the next level. I'm about 6'4" and weigh 246. I'm probably around 20% bodyfat. I'd like to start losing some weight, specifically fat. I'd like to cut carbs down to around the 75g range. Can you guys tell me if you think this sounds like a good plan?

Roughly 3100 maintenance cals - so I'm aiming for 2600
    250 grams protein
    75 grams carbs
    145 grams fat

This means 50% of my daily calories are going to come from fat. Is this too drastic of a change? It's roughly a 500 calorie drop. My plan is to include carbs in my first three meals of the day (breakfast, snack, lunch) and no carbs afterwards. I'm thinking of 25g carbs the first three sitting through potatoes, fruits, etc. I know I'll be hitting 75+ as I'll be getting other trace amounts of carbs from nuts, veggies, etc.

Does this sound like a good plan?

otzi Guest
    It sounds like a good starting point for you. You'll have to make adjustments related to the outcomes along the way.
    One area you may find difficult is calculating the macros. To get 250 grams of protein, you'll have to eat a lot of meat. it's hard to calculate the fat content of most meats we eat, whether it be chicken, beef, or pork. Ground or lean. Skin on--skin off. If you are eating 3 big ribeyes for supper, that will probably exceed your fat target for the day. If you are also eating a jar of almond butter, you really blew it!

But anyway, you'll have to play around with the numbers and don't expect to get it right first time. When you find a good combo for weightloss in the range of 1-2 pounds a week, keep at it til that runs out--don't mess with a good thing! When you have lost most of your weight, it will get harder and harder to see continued loss.

Good luck.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Supawood26 View Post
    Does this sound like a good plan?
    Well, something is wrong in your setup, since your macros gives 2'205 kcal and not 2'600 kcal as you are aiming for. Anyway, 2'205 kcal gives you a energy deficit of 895 kcal per day and that will give you a little less than 2 pound of fat loss per week and that’s a bit more "agressive" than only a 500 kcal deficit that sums up to a pound of fat loss per week…
    Last edited by Gorbag; 11-13-2012 at 02:19 PM.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    hey i know lots of people will chime in to the contrary, but you really don't need quite that much protein.

also, and here's the honest truth - if you're going to count calories really analy, the macros don't matter. you could toggle the fat and carbs all you want. the changes that you'll notice, and that matter, have to do with satiety.

good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Well, something is wrong in your setup, since your macros gives 2'205 kcal and not 2'600 kcal as you are aiming for. Anyway, 2'205 kcal gives you a energy deficit of 895 kcal per day and that will give you a little less than 2 pound of fat loss per week and that’s a bit more "agressive" than only a 500 kcal deficit that sums up to a pound of fat loss per week…
    Hey Gorbag - I believe the setup is correct:
    Protein - 250g x 4 cals per gram = 1000 cals
    Carbs - 75g x 4 cals per gram = 300 cals
    Fat - 145g x 9 cals per gram = 1305 cals
    Grand Total - 2605 cals (a 500 deficit from my estimated 3100 maintenance cals)

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    One area you may find difficult is calculating the macros. To get 250 grams of protein, you'll have to eat a lot of meat. it's hard to calculate the fat content of most meats we eat, whether it be chicken, beef, or pork. Ground or lean. Skin on--skin off. If you are eating 3 big ribeyes for supper, that will probably exceed your fat target for the day. If you are also eating a jar of almond butter, you really blew it!

But anyway, you'll have to play around with the numbers and don't expect to get it right first time. When you find a good combo for weightloss in the range of 1-2 pounds a week, keep at it til that runs out--don't mess with a good thing! When you have lost most of your weight, it will get harder and harder to see continued loss.

Good luck.
    I'm going to try not to be too anal about the macros, I figure this is a starting point for me. I'll aim to get 1000 cals from protein sources, 1300 cals from fat sources, and 300 cals from carbs sources and look at it that way. This way the calories should be there and the macros should be pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    hey i know lots of people will chime in to the contrary, but you really don't need quite that much protein.

also, and here's the honest truth - if you're going to count calories really analy, the macros don't matter. you could toggle the fat and carbs all you want. the changes that you'll notice, and that matter, have to do with satiety.

good luck!
    Jakey - thanks for taking the time to respond. After doing some calorie counting leading up to this - I realize I've been eating roughly 250g carbs per day and relatively low amounts of fat. I'm hoping the biggest result from these changes will be increased satiety...

Hey Gorbag - I believe the setup is correct:
    Protein - 250g x 4 cals per gram = 1000 cals
    Carbs - 75g x 4 cals per gram = 300 cals
    Fat - 145g x 9 cals per gram = 1305 cals
    Grand Total - 2605 cals (a 500 deficit from my estimated 3100 maintenance cals)
    Yes you are right, for some strange reason I must have read "150 g" of protein. Sorry about that! I still recommend you to do a larger deficit though, since you are a bigger guy, to go lower on fat maybe 80 - 90 gram, and to keep protein and carbs the same.

Gorbag - cool, thanks for the advice. I was thinking of starting w/ 500 to get adapted, see how I progress, and go from there...those are my thoughts at least. I didn't want to have too big of a deficit and then bottom out and binge. My thought process is slow and steady.

+
    Gorbag - cool, thanks for the advice. I was thinking of starting w/ 500 to get adapted, see how I progress, and go from there...those are my thoughts at least. I didn't want to have too big of a deficit and then bottom out and binge. My thought process is slow and steady.
    OK, on a deficit of 500 kcal you will lose a pound of fat per week, and if you think it's safer go for it! After some time you will stall, so remember to make a new adjustment down when that happens. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast