Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight not shifting? page

Screamer is offline Member

Weight not shifting?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So I started off being paleo a few weeks ago now, and managed to lose half a stone in two weeks (think that's just over 3KG) and have been feeling great, but have just checked the scales and have jumped up again almost completely

I'm cycling to work everyday and back pretty much, and we've started trying to do the 10-15 minutes of exercise every other night if we can of the pull ups and squats etc, but i'm unable to do the sprinting at the moment due to a healing sprained ankle.

We are eating totally 100% paleo and not cheating...so why aren't I losing any weight? Is it perhaps my muscle mass is increasing as i'm definitely toning and look less bulky?

Would be great to hear from anyone having the same.
    Thanks
    Jodie

cantat is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, definitely check your inches. Are you eating enough calories? What's your typical daily diet like?
    29/F
    5'4.5
    Highest weight: 220
    Starting weight: 195
    Current weight: 179
    Goal weight: 127

otzi Guest
    Give it time. When you stop eating junk like sugar, oil, and flour (all the processed stuff), you are instantly eating better than 95% of the rest of your countrymen. Depending on what your diet was like before and your new activity levels, etc... It can take a while to get things moving in a direction you are happy with. Just stick to good eating and moving a lot and you should start to reap the rewards of better health, better sleep, and better attitude. Eventually your weight will move to where it should be, give your body time to adjust...pay attention to things like waist measurements, strength gains, more endurance to judge progress.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    I lost minimal weight but I am only 2kg off of my goal weight. Do you have much you want to lose?

I actually gained weight at first but lost inches. I have not been pleased with the fat increase on my upper body, but I've adjusted my diet to include more carbs/reduce fat and protein intake and things are better. I am one of those who does better with not over-restricting carbohydrates.

Despite eating 100% Paleo, calories are still calories.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

@Otzi, i'm completely paleo so only eat a tiny bit of sugar, only coconut oil, butter and olive oil and only coconut flour and ground almonds...i admit though even though i am cycling everyday, we aren't doing the other exercises every day yet, partly because i have a sprained ankle. Thanks for the help though and reassurance, it is after all only the beginning and could be muscle.

So today's diet for instance was:

Turkey and veg patties (made with almond flour and eggs) with left over roast veggies for breakfast
    Lunch was chicken thigh and mixed veg thai curry and kale
    I also had some berries and nuts during the day and a boiled egg
    Tonight we are having roast pork belly and vegetables...

Thoughts?

But that's what i don't understand, it says 'eat more fat' so i'm doing that? Should i be? When you say more carbs what are you eating more of just so I know Phaselow?

Basically I think I need to lose at most 13KG to get back to how i was originally, but even 10KG would be great. I've always been really muscly though so wondering whether because i'm exercising that's part of the reason i'm putting on weight again?

I do always bloat big time when it's time of the month too but i'm no where near that right now

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    So you lost 7lbs straight away, and then put some back on, no biggie really, I lost 5lbs in 2 days and put it on in one Proabably just water weight and re-adjustment and adding some muscle. People that lose loads fast straight away normally have a crap-ton to lose (I lost fast straight-away but I was 19st 3lbs, and that's a FB by anyone's standards)

Sounds like you have the excesise dialed in too, cycling does the move slowly, you only need to lift heavy 1-3 times a week, not everyday, you won't get gains if you don't allow the body to rest, you can always incorporate the sprints on the way home on the bike.

You will lose fat as long as you are in a calorie deficit, but give this way of eating a chance to work, how much better you will feel is worth it. If the weight loss dosn't start after a month or so then start tweaking, some people find they need to cut nuts, or dairy, or really reduce fruit to lose weight, others find then need to change their ratios of fat/carbs/protien arround.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamer View Post
    Turkey and veg patties (made with almond flour and eggs) with left over roast veggies for breakfast
    Lunch was chicken thigh and mixed veg thai curry and kale
    I also had some berries and nuts during the day and a boiled egg
    Tonight we are having roast pork belly and vegetables...

Thoughts?
    Just me, but I think you are eating a little too well...basically 4 meals. Lots around here do good with 2 meals and no snacks. I always said, if you are hungry after lunch or dinner--you should have eaten more lunch or dinner.

Counting calories is tough because labels are misleading and on-line calculators are generic. Weights and such are hard to get accurate.

Another thing you may do well to lose is the almond flour. A better breakfast probably would have been just the eggs.

Not picking on you, I can see you are trying, but getting out of the mindset you need 3 mind-blowingly tasty meals a day is the conventional wisdom that got most of us in trouble to begin with.

I lived in the UK for 4 years, I loved those big English fry-ups for breakfast, fish-n-chips for lunch, and meat and veg for dinner with a couple pints. In reality, if you ate some eggs or smoked kippers for breakfast, a ploughman's for lunch, and a decent dinner of meat and veg with some berries and dark chocolate you'd be perfect. Add in some liver, kidney, or blood sausage a couple times a week.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Are you eating grass-fed meat? Some people here will tell you conventionally raised meat is better than nothing, but I'm not one of them... I'd rather eat nothing but organic eggs (cheap! delicious! your new best friend!) than the "finest" cut of GMO soybean-fed steak... Eating the meat of some poor animal that never saw the light of day and lived in such close proximity to others that it could barely move, living a horrible life of atrophying muscles and miserable thoughts until it was slaughtered to feed humans... and people really think putting that meat in their bodies is good for them? Not me.

Lose the almond flour for sure. Just because it's grain-free doesn't mean it's primal per se... it's more of a way to primal-ify SAD (standard American diet) foods. If it helps you transition away from more sinister SAD foods, that's good, but it shouldn't be a staple. It wouldn't be an issue if it weren't for the fact you're trying to lose weight... Nuts pack a punch.. you didn't mention how many nuts you ate, but they add up quick, especially if you're eating straight out of the bag.. "oh just one more handful...and one more..."

Also, you mentioned olive oil. Are you cooking with it?? If so, you might want to stop for awhile and reserve olive oil for salads. I used to cook exclusively in olive oil when I first started primal and I would always end up bloated after meals. Olive oil's fats are unstable above a certain temp, you're better off with coconut oil, which has a lower smoke point (and a better taste, and it keeps you full longer, and it even smells heavenly!).
    Last edited by 2ndChance; 11-13-2012 at 03:49 PM.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamer View Post
    But that's what i don't understand, it says 'eat more fat' so i'm doing that? Should i be? When you say more carbs what are you eating more of just so I know Phaselow?

Basically I think I need to lose at most 13KG to get back to how i was originally, but even 10KG would be great. I've always been really muscly though so wondering whether because i'm exercising that's part of the reason i'm putting on weight again?

I do always bloat big time when it's time of the month too but i'm no where near that right now
    For carbs, I started eating white rice again maybe once a week, and I've been eating a TON of squash and sweet potatoes. I have more energy this way, I think. I must keep out sugar to lose weight. If I eat the sugar, the weight and bloat comes back.

I had gone a bit berzerk with Primal at first. I was eating primarily animal protein, animal fat, nuts and coconut butter/fat. I had eliminated fruit and ate very little vegetables. Extremely unbalanced in favor of the meat and nuts. Since I was exercising heavily, my appetite was pretty crazy. Certain my calories were beyond what was needed and I know I ate more protein/fat than my size indicated (I am 160cm/53.5kg). I did only gain 1-2kg, but my normally very lean upper body filled out a bit. Not enough for anybody to notice but me. Since my upper body is the only thing lean about me, it was a bit disconcerting. No need to have an ample top half when I already have an ample behind.

You might find that your time of the month bloat goes away or is greatly reduced. I did.

You listed what you ate, but not really how much. Turkey burgers can be 170g or 300g depending on how big they are... and that translates into more calories. Also, nuts add up. I'm amazed at how few nuts are actually a real serving!

I just need to sit down and figure out how much protein and fat is right for a person my size and activity level. It isn't a one size fits all kind of lifestyle as far as eating goes. Once I find that balance for me, I'm sure things will level out.

good luck! ~Pam

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast