Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weight not shifting? page 2

Screamer is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks guys that's been really useful.

We are eating grass fed/free range/organic meats wherever we can find it, unfortunately that means trusting the word of some butchers so who can tell, but when we buy from supermarkets it's always organic, free to roam type affairs. Organic eggs are super expensive over here but we have been trying to buy purely organic eggs where we can, or at least free range if not.

I think cutting out the almond flour and nuts might be a good idea, or at least cutting down. The patties we've been making are only a couple of inches across and half an inch deep - i can weigh them but they are about meat ball size and squashed.

My appetite did subside a bit but being back at work I feel like i need to snack a bit more. Been taking carrots and boiled eggs and sometimes some tinned fish to get rid of those so maybe i just need to carry on a bit with that.

I really like the idea of incorporating sprinting on my bike - did you have any suggestions for that? Thanks so much for the reassurance everyone, it means loads!

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Sprints on your bike, well it depends on how far and how hilly your ride is, if it is on roads or on cycle paths, across parks etc. First make sure you are somewhere you can go all out safely

I'm not very specific about my running sprints, I just go all out for as long as I can maintain top speed, gasp for breath then repeat, however loads of people use Tabata intervals, which is 20 seconds on 10 seconds off, repeated 8 times to give a total work-out time of 8 mins, you can get tabata timers as apps for fancy mobiles.

To start with I would just pick a hill and hit it like a maniac, then rest, or sprint off from traffic lights, or a combination of both on the ride home (I like to sprint away from lights anyway, it keeps the car drivers on their toes). Just get as many bursts in as you can on the way home (once a week only or you'll kill yourself) to start with see how you go, get used to it, then work out ways to make it work with your ride home (you could do it on the way to work, but you'll arrive all sweaty, eeewwww)
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Be patient. Not everybody will lose a shed load of weight doing standard Primal. I know I didn't.

I've been paleo/primal for around a year now and after an initial weightloss of around 10lbs I stuck. I've had fantastic gains in terms of health benefits and energy levels but couldn't shift the weight. It was only when I cut the fruit and nuts completely, really lowered my carb intake and increased my fat intake that it has started to shift (I also started doing some heavy lifting...love, love, love it!). And even then, I'll lose a few pounds quickly then nothing for 2 or 3 weeks - however I am noticing some amazing changes in body composition and am continuing to lose inches. I've also pretty much cut to two meals a day - a huge breakfast of bacon/eggs/mushrooms and a cup of coffee with coconut oil, then I'll eat either a small-ish lunch (if I'm working out after work I'm home late so don't bother with dinner), or coffee with coconut oil at lunchtime and then a decent dinner. It has taken a lot of tweaking and trial and error to find what works for me....and you will no doubt be different.

Some people are better with lower carb levels, some better with higher. I seem to be better with lower - but only when I increase my fat enough to avoid energy slumps.

My advice would be to get yourself used to eating primally for a few months and then if the weight still isn't shifting, start tweaking.

I've been lucky enough to find a butcher up here in Edinburgh that sells only grass-fed and locally produced meat and eggs (although not certified organic). I go every Saturday morning now and stock up on my meat. If you check the Primal Britain website there's a list of suppliers - perhaps there's a good butcher near you.

Good luck!

Thanks Spuggygirl that's really useful. I am finding it hard not to eat three times a day, i do have a massive appetite so was worried about portions but i guess i just need to get used to the food first and see how my body reacts.

Will check out the primal britain site about local places. We have a local farmers market but it can bankrupt me meat wise in a matter of minutes. THere are other local places that sell grass fed though.

When you're talking about carbs, are you referring to vegetables? I thought vegetaables you could eat in abundance? And when you say fat, eating more fat, what are you referring to? It woudl be great if you could let me know a standard meal day for you for example?

I'd love to get to the stage where I didn't need lunch - we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the tips on cycling Tribal Rob, I'll definitely give that a go on my way home. There aren't any hills as such but some slopes so will try to set off from traffic lights a bit quicker

Oh and p.s we ONLY use coconut oil for cooking or butter if we run out, and only olive oil for salads. That was a question asked earlier.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potatoes seem to be the carb of choice in the primal world, then root veg and squashes, white rice and potatoes are also fine, but not really needed if you are trying to loose fat unless you are really active. And yes eat vegetable in abundace, they should make up the largest volume of what you eat.

I also would't worry about how often you eat in a day, I still eat upto 3 times a day, which is down from 6 or more including snacks, so I've dropped from breakfast, mid morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, tea, supper, to lunch, tea supper, but I've been primal since January this year so I've had plenty of time to become fat adapted and get used to more even energy levels and less regular hunger.

Organic standards for the UK are easy to find as are freedom foods and free-range standards. But UK beef and lamb and venison are predominatly grass fed anyway, it's the cheapest option as we grow lots of good grass here on land that isn't much good for crops I prefere not to think about pig too much, or chickens, they eat a lot of soy IIRC, and as far as I know organic makes no differenance to this -my dad is intolerant to soy amoungst many things and cannot eat shop brought chicken (except fat free breast fillets) or pork of any kind as it makes him ill, due to soy resuidues in the flesh.

As for eating more fat - fattier cuts of meat and butter on your veggies, or as a personal recomendation - Mrs. Charles Darwin's Buttered Eggs Recipe
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    I know exactly what you mean about the farmer's market. I used to buy most of meat there but it's very very expensive. Now I only go there for the best organic, grass fed ribeye steaks I've ever had in my life....worth every penny!

I have a huge appetite too and I think that personally I was eating more of the more starchy veggies (squash, sweet potatoes, even carrots) than my body needed - which in my case was keeping me out of fat burning mode and so I wasn't getting the reduction in appetite so many people report.

I have now completely cut out the starchy veggies mentioned above, cut the nuts to virtually nil, eliminated fruit and have increased my intake of coconut oil. It has been as I've done this that I started to realise that I'm not so hungry any more. For example, I would always feel the need for a small snack around 11:30 (after breakfast at around 8:15). These days, however, not only do I not need a snack, I often don't even feel hungry when I take my lunch hour at 1pm.

If I'm skipping a meal, I do often have a cup of coffee with some coconut oil in it - so not strictly fasting, but for me it keeps my energy levels up as well as dealing with that psychological fear that is deep rooted that I'm not going to get through the afternoon (silly I know, and it's fading as I'm realising that it isn't a problem - and if I do get hungry, then so what!)

As for meals: well today I had grilled bacon, 2 fried eggs and mushrooms and a coffee with some coconut oil at around 8:15am. Same coffee with coconut oil at 1:15pm and this evening I've had some pork shoulder (Well Fed's char siu pork) with a big pile of sauteed greens with butter. I may have a couple of squares of 90% chocolate too...or maybe not. Today wasn't a workout day - just dog walking for an hour, some yoga and stretching - but if I was working out I would tend to have eaten lunch, then had the coffee before heading to the gym and not eaten dinner. (Tsk tsk, I'm sure lots of people will tell me off for not eating after a workout but heyho if it's working....)

I can't say if any of this will work for you, but after around 10 months of not being able to shift the weight, it sure is working for me and I'm feeling great on it with really high energy levels (which after suffering from really low energy for most of my adult life, is an amazing feeling). It may well be that you just need more time getting used to the way of eating before your hunger levels drop...after all if you've been eating poorly beforehand, your body probably has a lot of nutrients to make up. So don't be too hard on yourself..give it time, then if nothing is still happening just try a few tweaks here and there.

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    I've been at it for about 6 weeks now and I have not lost any weight either. I was basically at a healthy weight starting out, I just wanted to be 10 lbs less vanity-wise. However I have had to buy new smaller pants! I should have used a tape measure at the beginning but didn't really think of it. So I did measure to start November and will do it again to start December. It can be really hard to divorce yourself from the scale. So try to notice how your clothes are fitting and you will surely see positive changes despite what the scale might say.
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    It's not too late to take measurements - they are a great indicator of progress.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12