Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Female needs advice on getting Cut now: page

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member

Female needs advice on getting Cut now:

Primal Fuel
    Need your advice today. I'm female, 48, 5'10" and reached my weight goal of 145lbs (down from 161lbs).

I'm now into the routine of working out (from home) and have a decent home gym. I don't lift or squat heavy due to a herniated disc at L5/S1. The disc is recently healing from being 100% paleo, and I'm doing more body weights than I ever could before. I go slow and steady.

Here's what I need help with: My weight loss has stalled and I want to lose this last 10lbs and get nice and cut in the tummy, core area.

Current Daily Nutrition:
    1000 - 1200 calories: 70% fat / 20% protein / 10% carbs (20-30grams)
    IF'ing used daily: Bullet coffee + lunch & dinner. (18 hrs fast/6hrs eating)

I've eliminated most dairy, except for cream in my bullet coffee in the mornings.

Current Workouts:

I'm lifting and cardio 4x per week (including sprints) and walking 6-7 miles on days off.

I'm currently in my last week of my "21 Day lifting Induction" programme. Next week I begin a much tougher programme which I'd like everyone's feedback on (Links below):

Current Plan (final week of): 21 Day Induction: Bizzy Diet | MusclePharm

Phase 2 (starting next week): "Live Shredded": Part I of Phase II: http://www.musclepharm.com/sites/def...d-womens-1.pdf

I get confused when these workout programmes promote 'lean cuts of meat' and no mention of eating fat. I'm not sure if I can get 'cut' while eating Paleo with slightly higher protein and a few more carbs to accommodate for my additional workouts. If anyone has thought on this, I'd like to hear your opinions/thoughts.

Thanks, everyone/Lu
    Last edited by Louisa655; 11-13-2012 at 06:23 AM.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    The Phase 2 programme that you linked to is no good. It basically looks like a supplement ad that has been disguised as a training programme. It's high rep and high cardio which is kind of the opposite of what most on here would recommend. Have you looked at the PBF prog?

You mentioned that you recently reached your weight goal. Judging by your signature I'd be interested to know how you had your BF% measured - as a 17lb reduction in weight but only a 2% change in BF% seems a little off.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    i was going to tell you to cut 100-200 calories a day for a short term fix. but at your intake and activity level, i'd say you definitely don't eat enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    The Phase 2 programme that you linked to is no good. It basically looks like a supplement ad that has been disguised as a training programme. It's high rep and high cardio which is kind of the opposite of what most on here would recommend. Have you looked at the PBF prog?

You mentioned that you recently reached your weight goal. Judging by your signature I'd be interested to know how you had your BF% measured - as a 17lb reduction in weight but only a 2% change in BF% seems a little off.
    CoachPalfrey: Thank you for your input. I have not had my BF measured by calipers or any other reputable means. I've used the 'online' calculators where you dump your measurements & weight in, and it miraculously provides a BF #. I suspect I am less than 21% BF, but not exactly where where I am.

I see what you mean about too much cardio on the Phase 2 Programme. I tend to lean towards the cardio as I've done a lot of ultra stuff, but want to move away from that direction and build strength.

As per your situation, I'll revisit the PB workout recommendations. Again, my constraint is that I am unable to lift really heavy in a gym due to this disc challenge that I have.

What are your thoughts on the LeanGains programme? --- perhaps approaching PB and Leangains as a hybrid?

And lastly, is it possible to get really cut while adhering to PB exclusively?

My frustrations in not seeing results as quickly as I'd like may be to my detriment -- but that's something I need to deal with on a personal level.

Thanks/Lu
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Firstly I'd say that losing 17lbs in 4 months is pretty good - especially as you weren't that big to begin with. So don't beat yourself up about it. Secondly, I wouldn't trust those calculators, even for a rough idea.

I think that IF'ing can be useful and Martin @ Leangains has his head screwed on when it comes to broad recommendations. Difficult to make any real recommendations regarding your back issue as I don't have the advantage of being able to see you. That said, you can build tremendous strength with body weight exercises alone. Try not to focus on the equipment (or lack of it) so much but more so on the methodology that you approach it with. I.e. lower volume, higher intensity.

The example (although not necessarily appropriate in your case) would be doing either 100 push ups from the knees or just doing 10 handstand push ups.

With regards to "getting cut" - it's certainly possible on any approach. You just need to find the right approach and make it work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    i was going to tell you to cut 100-200 calories a day for a short term fix. but at your intake and activity level, i'd say you definitely don't eat enough.
    Not on the Rug: Over the past 2.5 months, I've been operating in Ketosis and there are numerous days when I eat between 800-900 calories per day, with carbs <10grams. I'm thinking that that caloric intake is too low, so over the past few days, I'm increasing to be between 1000 - 1200, and staying with the same ratios. I've eliminated dairy except for the bullet coffees.

It's very challenging for me to eat more than this amount of food on two meals per day. I'm satiated by this caloric intake, despite the workouts, as well but if I NEED to increase calorie levels, I'm prepared to do what it takes.

This damn stubborn hip/waist fat is frustrating to lose, so I appreciate any additional suggestions you may have. In the meantime, I'll take Coach's comments and re-visit the PB workout guide.
    Thanks/Lu
    F, 48, 5'10"

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    Firstly I'd say that losing 17lbs in 4 months is pretty good - especially as you weren't that big to begin with. So don't beat yourself up about it. Secondly, I wouldn't trust those calculators, even for a rough idea.

I think that IF'ing can be useful and Martin @ Leangains has his head screwed on when it comes to broad recommendations. Difficult to make any real recommendations regarding your back issue as I don't have the advantage of being able to see you. That said, you can build tremendous strength with body weight exercises alone. Try not to focus on the equipment (or lack of it) so much but more so on the methodology that you approach it with. I.e. lower volume, higher intensity.

The example (although not necessarily appropriate in your case) would be doing either 100 push ups from the knees or just doing 10 handstand push ups.

With regards to "getting cut" - it's certainly possible on any approach. You just need to find the right approach and make it work for you.
    Quick question:
    I mostly do body weight exercises, although I have my individual workout weights in 5lbs, 7 lbs etc etc. I use my yoga ball a lot and have managed to gain incredible balance and stability while using that ball in multiple core and strength exercises. (use utube workout videos a lot).

Here's my question: I'm currently doing 50-60 pushups (through a variety of techniques) in each workout.....how does one increase the intensity of those same pushups? Some push ups are from my knees --- others are off the top of my yoga ball which gives me a deeper push up. Other than that, how do I increase intensity to see more results?

Appreciate your time here. /Lu
    F, 48, 5'10"

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    Not on the Rug: Over the past 2.5 months, I've been operating in Ketosis and there are numerous days when I eat between 800-900 calories per day, with carbs <10grams. I'm thinking that that caloric intake is too low, so over the past few days, I'm increasing to be between 1000 - 1200, and staying with the same ratios. I've eliminated dairy except for the bullet coffees.

It's very challenging for me to eat more than this amount of food on two meals per day. I'm satiated by this caloric intake, despite the workouts, as well but if I NEED to increase calorie levels, I'm prepared to do what it takes.

This damn stubborn hip/waist fat is frustrating to lose, so I appreciate any additional suggestions you may have. In the meantime, I'll take Coach's comments and re-visit the PB workout guide.
    Thanks/Lu

i'm thinking maybe you should eliminate bulletproof coffees. i know it's i big topic of discussion on this forum, and some people love it and some hate it, but in all honesty, for someone consuming so few calories, you need to maximize nutritional intake. drinking coffee loaded with butter and coconut oil is not the best choice for doing so. i'm personally a fan of ketosis, as my year-long experiment with vlc and ketosis ended with me barely having the neergy to go about my day, let alone complete my intense workout schedule. but if it is working for you, then go for it. if not, i'd say go with a more traditional paleo approach, increasing the protein intake, adding in a few more carbs, while lowering the fat intake. just a thought. a lot of people here have had to tweak and fine tune their paleo approaches to get the best results for aesthetics and performance. maybe ketosis isn't the best approach for you. just throwing it out there...

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    i'm thinking maybe you should eliminate bulletproof coffees. i know it's i big topic of discussion on this forum, and some people love it and some hate it, but in all honesty, for someone consuming so few calories, you need to maximize nutritional intake. drinking coffee loaded with butter and coconut oil is not the best choice for doing so. i'm personally a fan of ketosis, as my year-long experiment with vlc and ketosis ended with me barely having the neergy to go about my day, let alone complete my intense workout schedule. but if it is working for you, then go for it. if not, i'd say go with a more traditional paleo approach, increasing the protein intake, adding in a few more carbs, while lowering the fat intake. just a thought. a lot of people here have had to tweak and fine tune their paleo approaches to get the best results for aesthetics and performance. maybe ketosis isn't the best approach for you. just throwing it out there...
    Yup, you may have a point here. Sometimes we get caught up in our 'routines' and it's hard to see the forest for the trees. I naturally gravitated to two meals a day because I'm not overly hungry in the am, I love a coffee with cream, and lack the time for breakie. Perhaps I should try a few weeks of eliminating the BP coffee, and move towards 3 meals per day --- and starting with some eggs and a bit of bacon for breakfast; a BAS for lunch; followed by 3-4 ozs of protein for dinner with lots of veggies.

Coach had some good suggestions and I've downloaded the PB workout book and will begin following that.

I'll give this plan 4 weeks and see if I can shake things up a bit.

I need to get a pull up bar for my home gym --- I've been using a table, but it's not as functional.

I appreciate all comments, and come back to my comments time and time again on this forum -- the wealth of information and experience here is humbling. Really appreciate your thoughts, OnTheRug.

Best/LU
    F, 48, 5'10"

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    Yup, you may have a point here. Sometimes we get caught up in our 'routines' and it's hard to see the forest for the trees. I naturally gravitated to two meals a day because I'm not overly hungry in the am, I love a coffee with cream, and lack the time for breakie. Perhaps I should try a few weeks of eliminating the BP coffee, and move towards 3 meals per day --- and starting with some eggs and a bit of bacon for breakfast; a BAS for lunch; followed by 3-4 ozs of protein for dinner with lots of veggies.

Coach had some good suggestions and I've downloaded the PB workout book and will begin following that.

I'll give this plan 4 weeks and see if I can shake things up a bit.

I need to get a pull up bar for my home gym --- I've been using a table, but it's not as functional.

I appreciate all comments, and come back to my comments time and time again on this forum -- the wealth of information and experience here is humbling. Really appreciate your thoughts, OnTheRug.

Best/LU
    give it a try. if you see results, then great. if you don't, then its back to the drawing board.

as for meals, i tend to do a large breakfast, a small lunch, a pre-workout snack and post-workout dinner. with the bulk of my carbs coming post-workout. and i tend to do a bit of carb cycling. lower carbs (about 50-100 grams) on rest, boxing, cardio and HIT focused days and higher carbs (150-300) on my heavy lifting and more intense intense days. i'm definitely not scared of potatoes, sweet potatoes, squashes, white rice and fruit.

if you enjoy bodyweight workouts, then the PB fitness plan is a good place to start. and i highly recommend a pullup bar.

best of luck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast