Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Female needs advice on getting Cut now: page 2

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    give it a try. if you see results, then great. if you don't, then its back to the drawing board.

as for meals, i tend to do a large breakfast, a small lunch, a pre-workout snack and post-workout dinner. with the bulk of my carbs coming post-workout. and i tend to do a bit of carb cycling. lower carbs (about 50-100 grams) on rest, boxing, cardio and HIT focused days and higher carbs (150-300) on my heavy lifting and more intense intense days. i'm definitely not scared of potatoes, sweet potatoes, squashes, white rice and fruit.

if you enjoy bodyweight workouts, then the PB fitness plan is a good place to start. and i highly recommend a pullup bar.

best of luck
    OnTheRug: Thanks -- will give this some thought and begin to structure this on paper. May have to do my major workout in a fasted state in the mornings, followed by a small breakfast, a bigger lunch and a smaller dinner. I understanding the concept of carb cycling and will adjust on days where I'm moving slowly. I also have the Convict Conditioning workout programme and may incorporate some of those moves. I'll give this a fair, 1-month shot and see what happens. I have a workout book that log progress in. I'll check back in, in a couple of weeks. Thanks/Lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    Quick question:
    I mostly do body weight exercises, although I have my individual workout weights in 5lbs, 7 lbs etc etc. I use my yoga ball a lot and have managed to gain incredible balance and stability while using that ball in multiple core and strength exercises. (use utube workout videos a lot).

Here's my question: I'm currently doing 50-60 pushups (through a variety of techniques) in each workout.....how does one increase the intensity of those same pushups? Some push ups are from my knees --- others are off the top of my yoga ball which gives me a deeper push up. Other than that, how do I increase intensity to see more results?

Appreciate your time here. /Lu
    With regards to progressions there are simple numerical ones (like adding reps, sets and reducing rest periods) which have their limits and then specific technical adaptations - like progressing from push ups on the knees, to full push ups, to push ups with legs elevated, to handstand push ups, to single arm push ups etc etc.

There are hundreds of progressions to go through for most movement patterns. My general rule of thumb for body weight work is that once an individual can hit the required number of repetitions for a certain variant (so, strength focus may be 5 reps) they then move onto a harder variant. It's not that simple but you get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    With regards to progressions there are simple numerical ones (like adding reps, sets and reducing rest periods) which have their limits and then specific technical adaptations - like progressing from push ups on the knees, to full push ups, to push ups with legs elevated, to handstand push ups, to single arm push ups etc etc.

There are hundreds of progressions to go through for most movement patterns. My general rule of thumb for body weight work is that once an individual can hit the required number of repetitions for a certain variant (so, strength focus may be 5 reps) they then move onto a harder variant. It's not that simple but you get the idea.
    Now that I have reviewed the PB workout schedule, I totally get what you are saying with regard to progressions and level of difficulty. I'm likely just being very impatient with results and need to step back and focus on the process, knowing that the results will deliver. Appreciate your input today. /Lu
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

peril is offline Senior Member
    You want to be 135lbs when you're 5'10"? Not realistic if you want to look good
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    You want to be 135lbs when you're 5'10"? Not realistic if you want to look good
    I expect to gain weight (muscle), and in the process look leaner/more cut.
    F, 48, 5'10"

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    I expect to gain weight (muscle), and in the process look leaner/more cut.
    Your stats indicate that most of your weight loss on primal has been muscle and water ... not fat. So actually gaining muscle would be a pretty impressive turn-around.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

bostonwolf is offline Senior Member
    Getting more cut involves both adding muscle and cutting fat. Maybe you need to add some weight to your bodyweight exercise?
    ----------
    Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.
    1/8/13: 303.5 | 2/12/13: 298.5 | 2/26/13 295 | 3/07/2013 291.5

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    5'10" and 135lbs is your goal? I think that is too thin.

You don't eat enough calories.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Hey Lu,
    I also agree that you don't seem to be eating enough calories.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the others, you are not eating enough.
    I find that if I don't eat enough I start to gain weight on top of having no energy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast